It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
(female)

kdm777 HB User
Question Cymbalta for GAD & mild depression

Hi, im new here.

I have tried every anti-depressant under the sun and they all seem to give me the worst side effects that I end up stopping.

My therapist prescribed me a low dose of Cymbalta (20mg) to start off with. I took a lorazapam and then took my first dose, which was hard for me because I was so nervous to take it!

My question is will this help with my GAD/panic attacks and depression? I also wondered about weight gain with this pill? I don't want to gain any...I actually could stand to lose 20 lbs!

Thank you!

Old 05-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: Cymbalta for GAD & mild depression

Hi, welcome to the Boards. You might also post this question on the Mental Health Boards, BiPolar boards, or Families of Mental Health Boards..the folks there have more experience with psych meds and side effects.

Having said that....Cymbalta is an SSNRI anti-depressant, it works on both Serotonin and Norepinephrine in the brain. It's side effects tend to run more on the aggressive side, causing anxiety, irritability, mania, that type of thing, as opposed to the more common sleepiness. The fact that you had to take an anti-anxiety med just to get the pill down may not bode well for you. As with most of the anti-depressants out there it does have a very high risk of weight gain, unfortunately there aren't many that don't.

Since you seem to have some anxiety issues, well I'm assuming that's what your taking the Lorazepam for, and you say your depression is mild with the GAD, have you and your Dr. considered alternative therapies such as high dose Vitamin D, Biotin & St. John's Wart, combined with talk-therapy? Sometimes just having the mindset that the meds are "natural" without the side effects and worry about weight gain/body image can make a lot of difference in itself.

Kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
(male)

Stanislav HB User
Re: Cymbalta for GAD & mild depression

You are on a low dose of cymbalta. I am on 90 mg/day all taken in the morning and all is fine here. I am also a bit lazy but I do work at staying active.

Closed Thread

Tags
cymbalta, depression, gad, panic attack