HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Mental Health (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/mental-health/)
-   -   Has anyone gone through Intensive Outpatient Treatment? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/mental-health/906259-has-anyone-gone-through-intensive-outpatient-treatment.html)

Polafication 06-22-2012 08:17 PM

Has anyone gone through Intensive Outpatient Treatment?

Greetings all,

I have been struggling with mental health issues since I graduated high school. I was originally diagnosed with depression and anxiety/panic attacks and have been on so many anti depressants, benzo's, etc with not having much success. Now at the age of 27 my mental health has caught up with me where I can't drive, go/be at work, hold a social circle/life, etc.

I had my therapist get me into an intensive outpatient treatment program because after so many trial and error runs on meds (and their lack in trying to help me improve my mental health) I've been in an IOP for 3 weeks now and have been diagnosed with being bipolar and placed on a new med on top of my existing meds.

Has anyone else gone through or is in an IOP treatment program? How did you fare? Did it help improve your mental health where you where able to become functional again or improve your mental health in greater strides? How long did it take? I've tried to reach out to others in my group aspect of my treatment program but no one seems to want to share info with me. I just want to know how the experience with for others and if you benefited from it or not.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback, thoughts, stories, experiences, etc.

Thanks in advance! :)

Polafication 06-24-2012 02:40 PM

Re: Has anyone gone through Intensive Outpatient Treatment?

400+ views and no response :( I could really use some much needed advice/insight as I'm feeling lost in life and what I'm doing...

newpath3778 06-28-2012 09:44 PM

I just recently was hospitalized and did a few weeks of the outpatient program for what's referred to as "dual diagnosis". I found the outpatient program beneficial, but I would say actually being inpatient was more of a worthwhile experience; just a life changing experience that helped me regain some control. Sorry I can't really offer more feedback on the outpatient aspect. It was good, but just not on the same level. I think there's something to be said for the amount of time we have to reflect on ourselves, and the bond we make with other patients when we are actually in the hospital. It definitely wasn't something I wanted to do, but it was the right choice. In any case, I just wanted to wish the best of luck to you. I'm clinically depressed, but also wonder if I might lean somewhat towards bi-polar II.

Polafication 06-28-2012 11:58 PM

Thanks for replying and sharing newpath. I wasn't hospitalized but was offered when I went to the ER one night from really bad panic/anxiety attacks. I was told I would benefit more from an outpatient program. I found out I've been misdiagnosed since I was in my late teens and I'm considered to be bipolar II with a high tendency of depression and anxiety/panic attacks. I have been put on a new med, but was taken off because the side effects where horrible. I just started a new medication today and am hoping that this one will work. The whole IOP treatment is different than going to one on one therapy, but I need meds to aid me in my recovery. I've been in IOP for 4 weeks now and am hoping to see improvements soon, especially with this new medication.