It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 07:00 AM   #1
(female)

fearfulmom HB User
looking for guidance

I am looking for guidance to help and understand what is happening to my son. He is 25, a veteran and recovering addict with 1 year clean. He has had 2 episodes in the last 6 weeks of hallucinations with psychotic behavior I guess you would call it. Both were proceeded by lack of sleep, insomnia. Started almost like a sleep walking kind of thing, but lasted hours. He was not violent or paranoid, but moving around and talking to people he knew who were not there. Very confused. I could speak with him gently and ask him something and sometimes he would look at me and respond appropriately and sometimes he just wasn't "there". He was restless and unable to sit still for more than a brief time. Tried to get him to lay down and sleep and he would lay down for a few minutes, get back up and say he'd slept for hours. after many hours of this, he finally was able to lay down and fall asleep. When he awoke he was much better, but subdued. He related that he could only remember bits and pieces of what happened and that there were times when he knew he wasn't saying something "right" but didn't know what or why. He is scared and so are we.
After the episodes he quickly returns to normal is able to function well.
Can anyone help me understand what this might be? He has migraines and has been evaluated for seizures, mild, more like absent/wakeful seizures, not grand mal, and the results were inconclusive, but he is taking dilantin for them. Is this Bi-Polar? Schizophrenia?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread