It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #1
(male)

BronxBombers499 HB User
Unhealthy Eating and Poor Memory

I have been eating unhealthy for many years candy, cookies, cakes you name it i ate it and in large quantities pretty much everyday. I have been dealing with memory problems the last few years having trouble remembering simple words of things I should know like my favorite show, professor I have had every semester the last 2 years. About 2 weeks ago I started eating better I cut out just about all my added sugar foods and after a few days I felt like my memory had improved. But after those few days I started looking for sugar substitutes and replaced it with foods with no sugar like popcorn and chips. And I started eating those in large quantities and I felt like my memory started to go again a bit because I did not realize carbs also turn into sugar I was eating about a half a large bag of popcorn in one sitting. Today I am going to start really watch what I am eating and strive for healthy eating and see how much my memory improves. Has anyone ever heard of side effects of poor memory due to unhealthy eating can anyone shed some light on this subject about if poor memory can result due to unhealthy eating and any tips you can give me to help me in my quest. Thank You for taking time to read this and for your response.

Last edited by BronxBombers499; 08-03-2012 at 12:27 PM.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Unhealthy Eating and Poor Memory

Your brain requires many nutrients to function properly, so your eating habits can definitely affect your memory. In particular B vitamins may be deficient, and I would consider getting blood levels checked of B12 and Folate, or if you prefer at least taking a good multivit daily plus a B complex vitamin to make up for your dietary lacks. A change in diet habits for the better will not only benefit your memory but your whole body and may prevent some serious health problems, like high BP and diabetes down the road.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
(male)

BronxBombers499 HB User

Thanks for the response does anyone know how long a diet change takes to have effect on your brain and health.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:14 AM   #4
(female)

Lauriann HB User

Just like you, I ate sugar, carbs and all things white for so long and always had "brain fog". It lifted almost immediately when I began a nutritarian diet of nutrient dense green vegetables, fruits, berries, nuts, seeds, beans, whole-grains, and legumes. I also cut out dairy and red meat. I agree with ladybug regarding the multi-vitamin. Fish Oil helps with memory and learning. Co-Enzyme Q-10 (Ubiquinol) helps too.

I noticed an immediate change in brain function when I changed my diet.

Last edited by Lauriann; 08-04-2012 at 04:16 AM.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
(female)

waters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB User

It can also be a blood sugar issue. There is something called reactive hypoglycemia. UNhealthy carbs (some are healthy!) and sugar increase your blood sugar. Then after it plummets well below what is normal. And this can cause memory problems. I have hypoglycemia and when my blood sugar is low I can't concentrate on anything. Try eating a protein with your healthy carbs like brown rice, whole wheat spaghetti, fruits, veggies, etc. The protein helps minimize blood sugar spikes and works to stabilize your blood sugar. I learned this from a nutritionist at day hospital just so you know it really does exist. Hope that helps.

Then there are also vitamin and mineral deficiencies that can sometimes cause similar symtpoms. See your GP and maybe get a blood work-up.

And congratulations on making the first step towards a more balanced diet. If you need help along your way, many insurance companies will pay for a few visits to the nutritionist or registered dietician to get you started on your way.

Last edited by waters04; 08-08-2012 at 07:41 PM.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:42 AM   #6
(female)

Lauriann HB User

Good advice waters. There seem to be so many things that can contribute to brain fog. Even silver fillings are toxic to the body and can cause this too. You can detox the mercury out of your system by taking 200mg of Chlorella (and work up to 1,000mg). Take with each meal. Or if you prefer to go natural you can do the same thing with a combo of cilantro/parsley/mint. those herbs work well along with the chlorella too.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
(female)

waters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriann View Post
Good advice waters. There seem to be so many things that can contribute to brain fog. Even silver fillings are toxic to the body and can cause this too. You can detox the mercury out of your system by taking 200mg of Chlorella (and work up to 1,000mg). Take with each meal. Or if you prefer to go natural you can do the same thing with a combo of cilantro/parsley/mint. those herbs work well along with the chlorella too.
Really? Thank you for your post. I have amalgam fillings...are they the same thing? Do I have to worry about them? It's all my insurance would pay for.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
(female)

Lauriann HB User
Lightbulb Re: Unhealthy Eating and Poor Memory

There's good news and bad news. Silver fillings is another word for Amalgam fillings so they are the same thing....that's the bad news. But here's the good news...they are stronger than other choices (like composite resin and porcelain) and, it's controversial at his time, but many believe that the levels of toxicity are too low to be significant unless you are also in a lifestyle that includes a lot of fish or seafood or in a work environment that has mercury vapor exposure. So just limit your exposure to mercury. It's even in the air we breathe due to emissions from industrial plants. The FDA has approved amalgam fillings but some are requesting another review.

Another thing is that some say when amalgam is made nowadays it is mixed with Indium which changes the composition and makes it safer...."nowadays" is important to note. There is also now a high-copper amalgam which has less mercury and more copper.

You should only have silver fillings removed when they are worn or broken because that's when mercury vapors are released.

I have had silver fillings since 5th grade and I'm no spring chicken now. I have always struggled with focus and memory but diet change and exercise has made a significant positive change in that. And I'm not sure if my fillings had anything to do with my brain function. It could have been sugar, dairy, carbs, and lack of exercise all this time. I'm now sugar-free, dairy-free, and doing low carb, plus exercising 30 minutes to an hour daily and doing brain exercising like crossword puzzles, sudoku, jumble, and googling (lol)...seriously I read somewhere that googling is exercise for the brain. There should be many an Einstein roaming the planet if that's the case

Old 08-16-2012, 05:45 AM   #9
(male)

dan7332 HB User

It is right that healthy body depend on healthy diet. As you know that some nutrients are very important for healty mind. Mind always need energy, It remain always hungry because it is super controller of body.

Closed Thread