It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
(male)

kmac47 HB User
Switching from Zoloft to Lexapro- Side Effects... ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCE THIS?

Hi, I've been on 75mg Zoloft for about 6 months and recently have decided (with the help of my doctor) that although it has helped with anxiety and OCD (intrusive thoughts) overall it has made my emotions fluctuate all over the place.

4 days ago I was put on 5mg of Lexapro and told to lower my dose of Zoloft to 50mg. On the second day I started to feel sort of foggy and pretty jittery /restless. Today the foggy feeling has gone away but now I feel sort of feverish- achy, still jittery/weak, and definitely more anxious. These side effects are bearable but I just don't what them to get any worse... has anybody else had similar symptoms when changing medications? if so, how long did it take for them to subside? My doctor eventually wants to get me up to 15 mg of Lexapro over the next month or so. I'm just curious how long the road will be to feel myself again...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2012, 07:50 AM   #2
(female)

Skip4 HB UserSkip4 HB UserSkip4 HB User
Re: Switching from Zoloft to Lexapro- Side Effects... ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCE THIS?

Yeah I had the same side effects. I went from taking Axit and some kind of benzo to taking Lexapro and had some really nasty side effects, burning up, nausea, shakes, anxiety etc.

I went back to the doctor who took me off Lexapro for 2 days and put me on anti-nausea tablets, then I restarted the Lexapro at a lower dose.

He told me that just a 2 day break on anti-nausea tablets actually stops the side effects from re-occuring for some reason, he said at least I probably wouldn't experience the same side effects as I had the previous try.

I came right after coming off the lexapro for 2 days then starting it again so my advice would be to see your doctor about it I really didn't want to continue taking Lexapro but I battled it out and it's doing wonders for me now.

Last edited by Skip4; 08-25-2012 at 07:51 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
(male)

kmac47 HB User
Re: Switching from Zoloft to Lexapro- Side Effects... ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCE THIS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip4 View Post
Yeah I had the same side effects. I went from taking Axit and some kind of benzo to taking Lexapro and had some really nasty side effects, burning up, nausea, shakes, anxiety etc.

I went back to the doctor who took me off Lexapro for 2 days and put me on anti-nausea tablets, then I restarted the Lexapro at a lower dose.

He told me that just a 2 day break on anti-nausea tablets actually stops the side effects from re-occuring for some reason, he said at least I probably wouldn't experience the same side effects as I had the previous try.

I came right after coming off the lexapro for 2 days then starting it again so my advice would be to see your doctor about it I really didn't want to continue taking Lexapro but I battled it out and it's doing wonders for me now.
Thanks so much for your reply! I have been communicating with my doctor almost every other day and she has been GREAT and very reassuring. apparently the symptoms (jitters) that I was getting were likely an early symptom of Serotonin syndrome (too much serotonin). Apparently when weening from one medication to another everyone is different (in terms of how quickly the body gets rid of the excess medication)

3 days ago she brought me down to 25mg of Zoloft and kept me at 5mg of Lexapro. 24 hours later I felt much better, but since then I have been on a bit of a roller-coaster ride. Yesterday I had two really bad anxiety attacks along with a burning, pins and needles headache, that would pulse over my head. Luckily I have Klonopin which has helped me sleep, but its been kind of tough. She told me i'm going through some withdrawal from Zoloft and it should get better once I go up on the Lexapro.

I now have to completely quit Zoloft today and move up to 10mg of Lexapro and i'm really scared about what might happen I am currently on a trip right now and flying home tomorrow and I hope the withdrawal is somewhat tolerable The funny thing is through all this at very Isolated times I've felt more relaxed than I have before, I still have no tolerance for caffeine, i hope that gets better because I am such a coffee lover and decaf just doesn't taste the same

Last edited by kmac47; 08-25-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
(female)

Skip4 HB UserSkip4 HB UserSkip4 HB User

Hahaha, I still can't drink coffee. I'm not a total coffee freak but I love my mocha frapaccinos even though they're SO bad for me! I do miss my alcohol but I recently found out that I can manage to have one cocktail with no ill effects next experiment will be 2

My pharmacist basically told me my doctor was an idiot and that I should have been off my benzos for at least 3-4 days before changing over to Lexapro, but now that you say your doc said it was probably withdrawls I'm wondering if that was the case with me too. I've heard benzos are really addictive.

I thought Lexapro was the worst thing ever invented when I started taking it, it was so bad. But now that I'm over the side effects it's been SO great. I have to say it didn't have an obvious effect on me at first like the other meds I'd been taking did but overall it has made the most difference to my health.

It really sucks that you had to change meds when you have to fly home soon. I hope you went ok and I hope these nasty side effects have started to wear off

Old 08-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
(male)

kmac47 HB User
Smile Re: Switching from Zoloft to Lexapro- Side Effects... ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCE THIS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip4 View Post
Hahaha, I still can't drink coffee. I'm not a total coffee freak but I love my mocha frapaccinos even though they're SO bad for me! I do miss my alcohol but I recently found out that I can manage to have one cocktail with no ill effects next experiment will be 2

My pharmacist basically told me my doctor was an idiot and that I should have been off my benzos for at least 3-4 days before changing over to Lexapro, but now that you say your doc said it was probably withdrawls I'm wondering if that was the case with me too. I've heard benzos are really addictive.

I thought Lexapro was the worst thing ever invented when I started taking it, it was so bad. But now that I'm over the side effects it's been SO great. I have to say it didn't have an obvious effect on me at first like the other meds I'd been taking did but overall it has made the most difference to my health.

It really sucks that you had to change meds when you have to fly home soon. I hope you went ok and I hope these nasty side effects have started to wear off
Yeah that's really strange because my Dr. told me to use benzos to help with withdrawal... I'm now on my second day of just the 10mg of Lexapro, and I feel like I am starting to feel myself again. I tried a half decaf/ half regular coffee today (didn't get too jittery) I guess that's a good sign LOL.

Since I started Meds in February I've been careful about alcohol because I heard some people have very bad reactions with SSRI's, Benzos, and Alcohol (makes them really depressed). Once I get leveled out I could probably start slow again.

I have an aunt whose been taking Klonopin for 20 years and my brother's been taking them for about 10. I lot of doctors say they should only be used for short periods of time, but for my family who struggles with a lot of anxiety issues they have been a lifesaver. Everyone is different when weening off benzos, my brother been up and down on them with not too many problems.

I try to limit the Klonopin to no more than 2 -.5mg tabs a night and one a day (except for today) I took two before flying LOL. I'm just glad I made it home without having any major anxiety attacks. I'm glad the Lexapro is working for you! How long have you been on it now?

Closed Thread