It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
(female)

vitaminm HB User
Question What is plaguing me? Please help. Yearly weight gain and loss of 20-30lbs.

If anyone can shed some light on this, I would appreciate it so much. I have been struggling to manage these symptoms for so long, and doctors have pointed in every direction (pituitary, thyroid, mental problems, drugs, the opposite of SADS?) to no avail for me. If someone experiences this, I would sincerely love to hear their story. Thank you, and bless you.

I have been struggling with a sharp seasonal personality change since puberty. I have been prescribed a course antidepressants (Celexa), taken natural remedies and taken myself off of all hormone-induced birth control as to decrease my estrogen intake. I am a 21 year old female in college. Family history includes substance abuse, autoimmune disorders, thyroid problems. Other useful information: I am ruled by my hormones (almost animalistic), I feel ultimate relief when I am with animals (has been suggested that oxytocin relieves vagus anxiety). I suffer from extremely oil skin and hair, so was prescribed Accutane (5 month course) for acne at age 15.

Summer months:
• Lethargy (oversleeping, daytime tiredness, laziness)
• Weight gain
• Carbohydrate, sugar desire
• Extremely heavy periods, heaviest at beginning
• PMS for 2 weeks—very womanly (crampy, emotional, bloated) symptoms , plus periods for 10+ days
• Decreased libido
• No desire to exercise
• Feeling connection to Earth, sun
• General sweetness, non-confrontational "ladylike" behavior
• Colors: golds, browns, greens, oranges, yellows

Winter months:
• Restless energy
• Weight loss
• Fiber desire
• Violent nightmares (death, accidents, apocalypse, rape, murder) almost every night, with vivid memory every day
• Lighter periods, heaviest at 4 days in
• PMS for 1.5 weeks—very masculine symptoms (intolerable desire to work out, dance, sex)
• Require 7-20 hours of exercise/week
• Depression and withdrawal, lack of engagement
• Suicidal tendencies (self-harm, suicidal thoughts), general intimacy with death
• Auditory (music playing on loop, voices) and visual (bugs flying around) hallucinations
• Hard drug use, desire to escape reality
• Gluttonous of physical pain, body soreness, and endorphins
• Violence, anger
• Wildly increased libido
• General domination and submission tendencies
• Constant desire to be with animals (desire for oxytocin)
• Colors: black, purple, blue, silver

Thanks again.

Last edited by vitaminm; 11-17-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: What is plaguing me? Please help. Yearly weight gain and loss of 20-30lbs.

Many of these symptoms could suggest bipolar disorder, with your depressive phase occuring in summer and your manic phase in winter. This is indeed opposite of the usual seasonal affective disorder. The hallucinations can be part of that problem. It is common, can be treated, and I would hope you would see a psychiatrist to discuss the possibility. There is often a family history. It is treated differently than regular depression. There are biochemical imbalances and cycles that can fluctuate with seasons.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
vitaminm (11-17-2012)
Old 11-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
(female)

vitaminm HB User
Re: What is plaguing me? Please help. Yearly weight gain and loss of 20-30lbs.

Thanks for the advice, ladybud. I was hoping NOT to get this answer, and feared I might. Appreciate it regardless.

Closed Thread

Tags
depression, pituitary, thyroid