It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
(female)

Carla21 HB User
Unhappy Needing advice from anyone that's suffering from bipolar disorder/depression or other

Well I am a 21 year old girl and for as long as I can remember I have had issues with my family, friends and most of all, myself.

Growing up as a teen at home I battled with my parents every day. More often than not I would sit alone in my room and cry myself to sleep. I self harmed when I was 12/13 but that was apparently 'just for attention'. Obviously.
I moved away from home at 18 and have hardly spoken to any of my family back home since then.

At 18-20 I went through a period of hypersexuality and from what i have gathered, mania. I would get drunk a lot or go out and sleep with a lot of random men and got myself into a lot of debt that I'm still struggling with. As crazy as it sounds I felt great. I was hip-hop and salsa dancing (used to be a hobby) for 6/8 hours a day. I lost a lot of weight, didnt sleep much at all and was hyperactive all the time. I was known for being a party girl but I didn't think or care about the consequences.

But that all changed. I fell pregnant and caught an STD to a guy I hardly knew and I knew I had to have an abortion. I was (and still am) totally broke and living alone. I hated doing it and if I had the means and money I would have kept it and loved that baby more than any person has ever loved anyone... The abortion was horrible and I went through it totally alone as I didn't want to to tell my parents until after as they were going on holiday. After that I changed. I withdrew from everyone into this person I am today.
I don't dance as it feels wrong to me, I hardly go out, I spend a lot of my time crying or feeling so low and unhappy with myself. I've started smoking weed just to try and forget about everything I'm feeling as it hurts and confuses me too much.

I have an on/off boyfriend who is at his wits end as he never knows which side of me he is going to get. I get into a rage at the smallest things he does and I obsess about them and push him away.the other night we got into a big fight and on a whim I got very drunk and went out and brought a random guy back to my house. I regret it totally and can't tell my on/off guy as it would crush him. We weren't together at the time but were trying so hard to make this work yet I am up and down (right now mainly down) like a Yoyo.
I've tried occupying myself but nothing interests me for longer than 5 minutes.
I'm sat here crying to myself and my heart is racing and I've no idea what to do.

After a frantic phone call to my mum a few weeks ago where i freaked out and got into a depressed state and couldn't stop crying about the state of my life/relationship she told me to seek help.

But apart from that she doesn't care. My dad hasn't spoken to me for 10 months as I had sex with a guy he knows after his birthday night out

I am not this girl. I pity girls who do things like that so why am I doing it?

I'm 21 years old with no idea who I am or what to do. I feel so worthless. I just want to be happy again. I don't know if it is a serious problem or if I'm just a selfish, moody girl but could someone please give me some advice?
I'm so lost.

I try to sleep through it but right now my heart is racing and I feel so low.
This time last year I was so incredibly high. What is this?

The following user gives a hug of support to Carla21:
animal27 (12-12-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
(female)

animal27 HB User
Re: Needing advice from anyone that's suffering from bipolar disorder/depression or o

I am so sorry to hear that. I went through a state of depression and tried to run away from home. My parents then sent me to a councilor. I then felt good and stopped talking to the woman. I am a teen. I have now started talking to my person again and it really helps. You don't even have be face to face with the person. Just talk your heart out to a complete stranger e.g. me and you can discuss your feelings. You need to sort your feelings out so you can get on with your life. Talk to your boyfriend. Tell him how your feeling, what you want to do, your hopes, your dreams. Talking helps.
Sort out your debts. Make sure you have a job you enjoy.

Last edited by Administrator; 12-12-2012 at 11:16 PM.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
(male)

kgrant1 HB User
Re: Needing advice from anyone that's suffering from bipolar disorder/depression or o

Dear Carla21,
I am a bit older than you and have been dx'd bipolar mixed. I don't know what kind of medications you are on, but I know that I am grieving my manic state... that's what you described with the dancing and hypersexuality. I miss that part of my life so deeply and the meds make me feel flat all the time. I don't like it but I know that if I dont take my meds, I can get into serious trouble. I apparently have been bi-polar my entire teenage and adult life and at 51 am still at a lost as you seem to be. I want to say it gets better, hang in there... I would suggest finding a therapist for talk therapy. Check around for someone who works with bipolar. I had to drop out because I owed my therapist so much money, my insurance deductible was ridiculous. Anyway if you have insurance or medicaid coverage, see someone to talk this out. I found it extremely beneficial but I had to get honest. Allow yourself to grieve too... it's similar to a death of a loved one, we are changed people and I miss the person I once was- she felt alive, excited and interesting. But she was also self-destructive, self-absorbed and incapable of managing my own life. Good luck and I will look for your posts to see how you are doing.

The following user gives a hug of support to kgrant1:
animal27 (12-12-2012)
Old 12-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
(female)

Carla21 HB User

Thankyou for your advice
I live in the UK so luckily I won't have to worry about payment for treatment.
I plucked up the courage to see my GP who sent me to a psychiatrist to be assessed. I was ten diagnosed with a mood disorder, not Bipolar. So now I have to wait for treatment from a Psychologist.
It will be a long process but I hope it works...

The following user gives a hug of support to Carla21:
animal27 (12-12-2012)
Old 12-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
(female)

animal27 HB User

Your welcome! Good luck in your future life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Administrator; 12-12-2012 at 11:18 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
anxiety, bipolar, depression, mental disorders, panic attack