It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
(female)

capnjack HB User
Bipolar?

Good afternoon.
I am a 35 year old Mom of two children, and I have had some issues the past few years.
Let me preface by saying that I have always been a nervous driver. I did not get my license until 18, and have always been reticent to drive. My mom suffered anxiety attacks on the car while driving when I was little, and I assume it was a bit of a learned anxiety.
My second pregnancy and post-partum was difficult. I had recently learned that my son had autism while pregnant with a second child. Soon after birth, my husband became involved in a very stressful and complicated custody case concerning his children. Needless to say, I was stressed.
Up until this point, my nervousness about driving had definitely increased, and I rarely drove out of town very much (unless I had to).
After my second birth, my driving anxiety really ramped up, and I had my first actual panic attack.
I visited my GP about 3 months into this, and was given Celexa.
I took a Celexa at around 7 am in the morning, and by 745 am I was experiencing rolling panic attacks (I should add that I was really nervous about taking the medication and had read far too many posts about side effects, etc.) I felt very panicky for about 3 days.
The GP said that I might have BP and that I should see someone.
Well, I was simply too busy to do so, and I never went.I felt like I did not meet the criteria for BP at that time.
4 years passed, and I continued to have driving anxiety. I tried a lot of natural things...more exercise, forcing myself to drive, etc. I should also add that I do have basic anxiety about everyday things as well. The driving anxiety is the only one that interferes with my everyday life.
My panic attacks subsided to nearly nothing, and now I have them only rarely.
I decided to visit a Psychiatrist in July of 2012 to see if I could get a handle on my driving anxiety (which is a PIA as far as my everyday life). After a 30 minute session, and based mostly on my experience with Celexa, I was dx with BPII and he wanted to put me on Lactimil.
I disagreed with the dx at the time, because I felt like my answers were being "massaged" into a dx. I have never had what one would call a depressive episode, and I have not met the criteria for a hypomanic episode either. In fact, I will never forget that he continued asking me if I was ever irritated and I finally said that yes, sometimes my teenage stepdaughter irritates me when she doesn't put up her laundry, and he replied "See! Mood swings."
I really felt like it did not fit.
I visited my GP again (I have a new GP as other one retired), explained the visit, and he replied that a Celexa would not have put me into a manic state in 45 minutes and that I am suffering from anxiety and panic attacks.
So, here we are. I'm still working on my anxiety, but after being told by a Psych that I have BPII, even though I have disagreed with the dx, I wanted to present my case to a board like this and get some feedback.
If I felt like I met the criteria, it would be one thing...but I just don't. But I want to make sure before I try another antidepressant for my anxiety.
I don't think that I am a moody person. I have asked multiple family members, and they have said the same thing. I have never had a defined depressive episode. I'm fairly level with the exception of PMS. I have never engaged in the 'risky behaviors' I read about associated with BPII. I have never had huge bursts of energy/creativity (although some days at work I get more accomplished than others). I'm a fairly sensitive person and regularly cry at movies, but any time when I am sad or upset or irritated, I can always race it back to an event.
But then I read that anxiety is often comorbid with BP, and I'm back to wondering again.
Thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply