It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
(female)

Vienna714 HB User
Therapy: Is there a reason why..

I have been in therapy on and off for almost 20 years. I haven't been to my therapist now in over a year, but have been wanting to go back and start over fresh, new start, new therapist. The office I go to says that they don't allow therapist switches. If I went to one therapist, I have to stay with that one. Now I don't mind going back...that isn't the point. In my opinion, I would think if someone needed to switch, they should switch. You need to have a certain amount of respect and trust in your therapist. Like I said, it isn't a huge deal, since I did like my old therapist. I just wanted to start over, but can someone tell me what the reasoning for that could be? I'm confused on why that would be a rule.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

eggyby HB User
Re: Therapy: Is there a reason why..

I've been in and out of therapy for 45 years and have had at least 22 therapists. It used to be recommended that you switch often so that you don't develop attachment problems. But currently, I have been with the same therapist for 3 1/2 years and have done more for myself than the previous 42 years.

So I am of 2 minds on this. Consistent therapy where you are consistently moving forward is good. A reason to stay with the same person. But if you are "static" and not moving forward anymore, then changing can be the best thing you can do. "Fresh eyes" can see things a little differently and a new person might work differently and move you along.

So ask yourself if you were moving forward and want to move along further in the same way or do you need someone else to look at your situation and try to work with you on making changes in your life?

Eggy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread