HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Mental Health (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/mental-health/)
-   -   Saw a doctor for the first time in 10 years (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/mental-health/941454-saw-doctor-first-time-10-years.html)

Kaufer 03-05-2013 01:40 PM

Saw a doctor for the first time in 10 years

So it took me forever just to get up the nerve to make the appointment. Haven't seen a doctor in 10 years, but I feel like I do need some kind of medication to help with my anxiety. It's gotten so much worse in the last year.

So I got up the nerve to make an appointment with a primary care doctor. He did a physical, took blood, urine and did an EKG. In the "new patient" form I filled out I marked down "anxiety" but when he asked me about it, I began to talk but he cut me off and started talking about all the "preventative" stuff I needed to get done. So bottom line, I'm out the door with instructions to get a pap smear, mammogram and colonoscopy. Nothing to help my anxiety.

So now what? Try a different doctor? Part of my problem is lack of assertiveness - obviously, today was a good example.

Liarose006 03-05-2013 07:57 PM

Re: Saw a doctor for the first time in 10 years

It's sometimes difficult to get a doctor to focus on the reason you went to see him especially when the appointment is for a physical. I agree that he should have listened to you better. Did you like the doctor and feel comfortable with him? If you did, then I would not go to another doctor but develop a patient-doctor relationship with him. You can always call and speak to him about what you can do about the anxiety. Also, they will be calling with your test results...at that time you can mention that you still have anxiety and would like to know what can be done about it. If you feel you are not being heard try to get recommendations on a doctor that is attentive to his patients' needs. There are several doctors in the practice I use but always request only one doctor because he listens calmly and is very thorough...he is better than me with following up. The other option would be to see a psychologist who can help you with the anxiety. All you may need is to find out the source of your anxiety and a psychologist will be the one to help you with this. Hoping one of these options will help you. It's good that you recognize you have anxiety and are seeking help...that's the first step to calming it down.

Kaufer 03-06-2013 02:20 AM

[QUOTE=Liarose25;5142464]It's sometimes difficult to get a doctor to focus on the reason you went to see him especially when the appointment is for a physical. I agree that he should have listened to you better. Did you like the doctor and feel comfortable with him? If you did, then I would not go to another doctor but develop a patient-doctor relationship with him. You can always call and speak to him about what you can do about the anxiety. Also, they will be calling with your test results...at that time you can mention that you still have anxiety and would like to know what can be done about it. If you feel you are not being heard try to get recommendations on a doctor that is attentive to his patients' needs. There are several doctors in the practice I use but always request only one doctor because he listens calmly and is very thorough...he is better than me with following up. The other option would be to see a psychologist who can help you with the anxiety. All you may need is to find out the source of your anxiety and a psychologist will be the one to help you with this. Hoping one of these options will help you. It's good that you recognize you have anxiety and are seeking help...that's the first step to calming it down.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Liarose. I did not get a good vibe from the doctor I saw, so I won't be going back to him. Psychologists can't prescribe medication in NJ, but obviously would be great to see for therapy. That will be my next step, I think. I do feel like I need some extra help though - a mild type of anxiety medication, but looks like all I can do is just try a different medical doctor and see what happens. Maybe, as you say, if I make the appointment with the sole purpose of anxiety, not a physical, then it will be more likely that the doctor will listen to me. Thank you!

Liarose006 03-06-2013 06:48 PM

Kaufer I wish you the best. I understand that you would like medication so yes I would make an appointment strictly for the anxiety. I recommended a psychologist just for that reason that they don't prescribe medication and can get to the bottom of the cause of your anxiety. Either way you will need to get rid of the anxious feeling since it will bring you down and affect your quality of life. Remember to be be more assertive about your needs!

growagourd 03-06-2013 08:58 PM

Im glad you are seeking help, there are some great anxiety medication for mild anxiety. They can be used as needed.

It is unfortunate that you did not feel good about the doctor, but you want a doctor you like. It is good that you got a complete physical and bloodwork if you have no current medical records. It is important to get a good looking over when 10 years pass. Make sure to get copies of all the results for your own medical file, then you can pass a copy on to your new doctor/s. They all want that done.

I recently had a bout of depression that really scared me. I sought the advice of my family doctor and he referred me to a great psychiatrist who saw me the next day, and I was all set within a few days. It was a really positive experience.

Of course getting all the tests done is a pain, but most of them do not have to be repeated very often to remain in good health. Finding little problems early really makes a difference in almost every case.

Keep seeking the doctor you need until you find the right fit for you. Keep us posted on how it goes, ok?

Kaufer 03-07-2013 04:02 AM

Grow, thanks for your reply. I didn't know you could ask for copies of your own medical records to keep for yourself. I appreciate that info a lot, and I'm going to do that.

Part of my problem also that I've noticed, especially over the last year, is a steady decline in my memory and even speech, like finding the right words. I know this is a sign of age, but, I don't know, it just seems so rapid to me. No, I didn't mention that to the doc I saw recently, but in hindsight, I think maybe he thought I was lying about the particular cause of my father's death last year. The truth is that he died of not a particular disease, just a blockage of his digestive tract that led to more problems, took just 2 months from the start of symptoms to his death. It wasn't cancer though. But my trying to express to the doctor what my father died of, between the not knowing medical terminology really at all, plus him not dying of any particular cause, and my own cognitive decline, I think the doctor may have concluded that my father died of colon cancer and I just didn't want to tell that doctor! That's why I think the doctor prescribed a colonoscopy.

I'm not going to get a colonoscopy, but I'll get the mammogram and pap smear. I had thought before going in that a doctor would tell me to do those 2 tests anyway. I'm a little leary of the mammogram just because I hear a lot of times that they "see" something, then make you go thru more invasive tests, and finally rule out things and say you're fine. This happened to my sister recently. After the mammogram, she lived in fear for a couple of months that she might have cancer only to find out that she didn't. I really, really don't need any kind of extra stress like that in my life. I know everyone's gonna say, oh, but what if you do, then you're finding out early. Yes, that's the argument, but still, those are my thoughts.

Learose, thank you for your reply too. I am going to make an appointment to see a psychologist. That's for sure. I'll see if she will think I need an anxiety medication and go from there.

growagourd 03-08-2013 01:21 PM

Hi again,

Yes, we have the right to have all of our medical records and asking for them as you go along is easier than trying to retrieve them all at once. Most doctors do charge a small copying fee, but since records can add up really fast, it is much easier to get them as you go.

That way, every time you see another doctor, you have all the pertinent information right there. Medical terms can be very hard to remember for those of us not in the field, using them everyday.

As far as the cause of your fathers passing, you can always explain that further to your doctor, using the exact same explanation you used here. Doctors are used to patients who have difficulty recalling medical events of relatives, and even ourselves.

As far as the colonoscopy, I understand why you are so adverse to it, but it is a very common procedure to everyone passed 45 or so get one every 3 years. As difficult as it sounds, the procedure itself is painless, quick and very comforting to complete. The anticipation is much worse than the actual event.

That goes for mammograms as well. Most go without any further need for more tests. With breast cancer being so devastating to women of any age, catching anything early can be a life saver.

I honestly understand the desire not to know anything that is potentially wrong with us, but things have changed so radically in medicine, we are lucky to have such procedures in place to make our lives longer, happier and is good health.

I have suffered some tragic illnesses and events in my life. I have been saved after strokes, kidney failure and heart disease from a very young age, and I feel so fortunate to have time with my children and family that I would never have had without the miracles of modern medicine. Do it for your loved ones, if not for yourself.

I wish you the very best.