It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
(female)

luckyhope HB User
I have a fear of smelling bad

I've had this fear for a while of people being able to smell something bad on me. I went on forums for people that smell bad looking for advice on how to know if its just a fear or real. They told me to go by the reactions of others. Well the thing is I get different reactions.

Recently I've been getting people wanting to be close to me. They stand close to me, sit close to me, talk to me when I'm out closely, I've even had strangers hug me, smile and compliment my smell. The thing is I don't know whether to believe it or not. I don't know if they are doing it because they're being nice or if they just do it because that's what they want to do. See people also look at me. I don't know why they look at me but they do. Does that mean something? Out of all the times I've gone out I've only had what I thought were 7 situations where I think people smelled me. Would I have more than that in 7 yrs if I really did smell really bad?

They say I have schizo affective disorder depression type.

I just want to know if I should believe my doctors that tell me that I'm delusional and need to be on medicine to get over it. Or if I really do smell and need to learn to accept it.

Last edited by luckyhope; 07-13-2013 at 11:14 PM.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
(female)

Neon Green HB User
Re: I have a fear of smelling bad

Most likely you are like everyone, sometimes you smell good, sometimes you smell bad (hot days, eating garlic, smoking etc)

People would not come to you and say you smell nice if its not true.
I cant beleive you were offered medication for this !!! They medicate us too much. This is something you can work through, maybe with a little counceling.

I Always think that whatever the issue, there is a trauma behind it...probably in childhood, or picking up a parents obsession.

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
(female)

luckyhope HB User

I was prescribed medication for it because it goes beyond just a thought. I really believe I smell no matter what anyone says. I think I am the worst smelling person out there. It's on my mind 24/7. I don't get any release from it unless I am around people and they are doing the things they normally do. That's the only time I feel normal. It's taken over my life. Delusions are very strong and they seem simple to take care of but they aren't.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
(female)

Neon Green HB User

I'm sorry, i didnt mean to make it seem simple to take care of. I know they are not, i'm struggling some of my own right now. I guess doctor knows best, hope you find peace and freedom from this someday.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:57 PM   #5
(female)

Robocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB User

Yikes! I thought I was the only one!

No really. I constantly smell my armpits.. Take my shorts off and smell them. I swear I smell. I take such measures to ensure that I don't smell, and people say that I don't, and I smell good..... But I don't believe them. I change my underwear every chance I get, socks too. I seriously had to buy a dresser to hold all the extra panties and socks I have. I've got so many because I change so often. I go through a lot of hand soap and laundry soap. I've started making my own laundry soap, it's scent-less, so I can smell myself better. Haha. But, I always end up spraying some perfume that I'm allergic to on. Always have the travel bottle on me, scented lotion or something. But I feel that my body odor is stronger. It is something I've discussed with my PSYDoc. We are working on it, but it's not something at the top of her priority list. I've got a lot of bad habits.

Reply Reply