It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mesothelioma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2003, 06:25 PM   #1
(female)

madison55 HB User
mesothelioma and sweats #2

Hi everyone,
This is my second try to get information on the intense full body sweats that my father is experiencing with his mesothelioma (cancer of lung lining due to asbestos exposure). They seem to come in cycles. He will go for a several days or a week without any, and then, he starts feeling badly again and they come again. He says that he can feel the sweats starting up and he can feel it when it starts to subside. They are full body, drenching sweats that require him to change his clothing. He feels so terrible when they are happening. Then, when it subsides, he begins to come out of it and feel a bit better until the next time. They leave him weak and just "drained". Other than these sweats, he feels fairly well, considering. His oncologist says that sweats are not really common to mesothelioma - that they are more releated to lymphomas.

Could anyone respond if you or a family member has experienced this problem and how it was handled. It is very troublesome to him and the worst symptom that he is experiencing. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much,
Madison

Old 12-25-2003, 07:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User
Re: mesothelioma and sweats #2

Hi there madison....I seem to remember someone giving an explanation for this before (or maybe that was someone else that received an explanation). Anyway, with many malignancies,constitutional symptoms (or B symptoms) are common. These include things like: weight loss, fatigue, fevers, chills, and in your father's case, sweats. The reason mostly has to do with the inflammatory particles which are exuded from the tumour cells. These often cause hypermetabolism in the host and result in things like elevated body temperature and diffuse sweating. Unfortunately, the only way for these sweats to go away are with palliative treatment as mesothelioma can't really be cured.

Is your father on any chemo or radiation? Or has he had any plans to get something like a pleurodesis?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2003, 06:14 PM   #3
(female)

madison55 HB User

Hi Butterfly,
Thank you so much for your reply. I'm looking for all the information that I can get. My father took his 5th chemo treatment this week. He is doing fairly well except when he has the sweats and they really get him. They leave him exhausted, weak, unable to eat, etc. - just "drain" him of all energy. He was just diagnosed the last week of October and the sweats started just after that, so this is still relatively new to us. We are just looking for ways to keep him more comfortable when they start up. He can tell when they are coming on.

Thanks again,
Madison

Old 01-08-2004, 02:19 PM   #4

Blackbird HB User

Hello, just wanted to respond to the Sweats.
My dear cousin died of lung cancer June 28 and my Dad died June 30 also of lung cancer. Both cancers and treatments were different.
Karen, had extreme sweats before treatments. She had those long before she was diagnosis. She could be just standing and all of a sudden they would come on, so bad that she would be drenched..hair soaked and sweat running down her face. This went on for almost 2 years. During that time she had test to see what was causing this but for some unknown reason they never checked for cancer so by the time she was diagnosis she had 16 months.
We noticed after she started chemo and then radiation that the sweats stopped. She had had about 6 chemo treatments when we noticed this and during her remaining months the sweats were nil.
I am sorry to hear of your Dad illness. Enjoy each day with him, laugh with him, cry with him and always support him in any decision he makes throughout this journey.

Closed Thread