It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mesothelioma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2005, 11:07 PM   #1
(male)

jonod HB User
very worried please help!

hello. I'am 15 and when i was at a camp last year my friend kicked in the roof by mistake and alot of white stuff came flying out. i was in that room for 2 days and now i have found out about asbestos iam worried that the roof contained asbestos. i'am not 100% sure if it was asbestos but it was an old building and very well could have been made out of asbestos. i dont smoke and i do not beleive i ever will in my life. assuming the roof was asbestos would i almost deffinetly get mesothelioma even from 2 days of sleeping in that room??
if anyone could help me out it would really be appreciated.
kind regards jono

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2005, 03:27 AM   #2
(male)

jonod HB User
Re: very worried please help!

please anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2005, 04:27 AM   #3
(female)

antoinettev3 HB User

It is VERY, VERY unlikely that you would develop mesothelioma from such limited exposure assuming there was any asbestos exposure at all. Don't worry about it. Even people who have had confirmed exposure to asbestos do not develop the disease.

You are far to young to be worrying about this sort of thing. Go and enjoy your life and don't give it a second thought.

Sincerely,
Antoinette

Old 09-29-2005, 08:45 PM   #4
(male)

jonod HB User

thanks for confirmaing that for me antoinettev3 and iam sorry it was not a roof it was a ceiling. i was just extra worried because i heard that you are at more chance of geting it if you are exposed at a younger age. also for about 6 months i was at a school and had lessons in one particular room for about 1 and a half hours a week. that building contained asbestos and has now been demolished. the roof on one side of the room was torn and brown and dripping with water. i get worried because this exposure is building up. however back to my "first exposure?" i dont think you can get asbestos in a normal ceiling which is not tiles or popcorn ceiling can you?
kind regards jono

Old 09-29-2005, 09:04 PM   #5
(female)

antoinettev3 HB User

I believe you are correct re: the ceiling. Popcorn and accoustical tile ceilings were asbestos containing back in the day.

Again even if you had been exposed it doesn't mean you will develop any problems in the future. It's a relatively rare cancer. Many, many people were exposed for years on a daily basis either in the military or through their jobs and they are fine.

The most important thing you can do is NOT SMOKE. It's definitely been shown that even short term exposure combined with years of smoking increases your risks by 70%!!!! Amazing! I wish I had known but of course who knows if at the age of 17 I would have paid attention. Hind sight is 20-20.

Take care of yourself and stay healthy.

Antoinette

Old 09-30-2005, 02:35 AM   #6
(male)

jonod HB User

thankyou very much for your advice and kind word. my prayers are with you!

Closed Thread