It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mesothelioma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2007, 02:11 AM   #1
(female)

suzzy76 HB User
mesothelioma treatment...

My grandfather just got diagnosed with mesothelioma. I want to know, what is the best treatment option for him? Doctors have prescribed surgery to him.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:36 PM   #2
(female)

JPSund HB User
Re: mesothelioma treatment...

If your Grandfather has been prescribed surgery that that is a good sign as it means they feel it is less well advanced. You should get a second opinion whatever. Hope it works out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2007, 03:17 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

shs50 HB User
Re: mesothelioma treatment...

According to medical references the current "gold standard" treatment is tandem stem cell therapy.(Tandem means twice in this context) The premier center which has done the most advanced work is in Little Rock Arkansas. I believe its the Arkansas Cancer Institute and is nationally if not world renknowned. Your grandfather's oncologist should know about it. Also a close friend is receiving the same stem cell therapy at The Cleveland Clinic another world famous center. The ideal method is is to use the patients own stem cells (autologous) which are removed,treated to clear all disease, frozen, and returned to the patient after a few weeks. This requires a period of hospitalization in isolation to prevent exposure to infection since the patients immune system is severely depressed during the treatment. My close friend of over 40 years who is now 75 was diagnosed 11 years ago, given a survival prognosis of 3-5 years, received the tandem treatments in Little Rock and is in full remission today enjoying an unrestricted life but still being monitored every 3 months and going down for annual visits. My other friend age 49 is still undergoing treatment at Cleveland Clinic and we're hopeful. This is a very aggressive cancer which can attack the kidneys and other systems and is deadly if not treated correctly. I'm not a physician but I've never heard of surgery as a primary treatment unless your grandfather's Dr. is referring to the stem cell removal and reintrodution as surgery. Good Luck. Bob

Old 12-09-2008, 03:33 AM   #4
(male)

nathon HB User
Thumbs up Re: mesothelioma treatment...

first you have to go to the doctor for getting check up of your grandfather's cancer, mean which type of mesothelioma cancer your grandfather have? after that i can give you suggestions.

Closed Thread