I am twenty years old. About ten years ago, my parents had our bathroom redone. Our house was built in 1976, and it has the "popcorn" plaster ceiling that is notorious for having asbestos in it. I recall coming home from school and the contractors knocking the ceiling plaster down in chunks, with dust flying everywhere. To my knowledge, they never tested it for asbestos (according to my parents, the workers started tearing it down when they first arrived, and my parents never tested the ceiling either), and to make matters worse, the bathroom door is right near the HVAC intake vent, so a lot of asbestos dust probably got sucked into it and distributed around the home.
Again, since the ceiling was never tested, I can't be certain whether it had asbestos, but from what I've read, most popcorn ceilings from the 70s did.
My question is, if it did indeed have asbestos, do you think most of it has diffused out of the air by now, or is it still hanging around the house? Also, I have approached my parents about it, but they just assure me that "everything is fine" and that "the contractors wouldn't have done anything to hurt us".
Am I pretty much guaranteed to get mesothelioma/asbestosis in another couple of decades?
( removed ) I'd never heard of this popcorn style ceiling but a quick search on the internet came up with a very long list and yes the ceilings do contain asbestos. If you don't know anything about asbestos you should be aware that it only takes a very small fiber to lodge in the lungs and many years later signs and symptoms of contamination can occur.
VK1988 you should try to set aside worries about contamination- you are young and the chances are that you are absolutely fine. If you do develop any lung symptoms see your doctor and let them know about your fears.
Last edited by moderator2; 12-09-2008 at 11:54 AM.
Reason: cross-talk is prohibited here: do not discuss or debate replies, instead, reply directly to the thread originator
you CAN get mesothelioma from ANY exposure of asbestos, as I have said in other posts, asbestos is asbestos. It only takes a small amount of it and of time exposed for it to enter your body. However, please try to not worry about it as I told other posters, live life to the fullest, make the most of it, tell the ones you love how much they mean to you everyday, we never know when our number is up. It does however take anywhere from 20-50 years to show up in a body. Not everyone that is exposed to it does get mesothelioma.....I only respond to these posts to give my input b/c I know when my father was sick with this ugly disease, I looked for any advice or insight to help me. If I can answer any questions that may help someone else, I will try my best. Goodluck to you and please dont worry about it.