It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mesothelioma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
(female)

penniepie HB User
possible exposure at home

About 10 years ago my dad was renovating our home and i know i was around - not very long - some vermiculite that may contain asbestos - I have had a chest xray and it was clear -does anyone know or have any information on what i should do? - i know that my dad did know know it may contain asbestos and I dont recall if i can directly in contact with it but i know i was in and out of our house as a kid while he removed it himself...i worry for him and sibblings - it was a one time thing perhaps a couple times for my dad and he did a few rooms in our home

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2009, 07:59 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User
Re: possible exposure at home

You don't have to do anything. This kind of exposure does not cause mesothelioma. People get mesothelioma from many decades of all day long workplace exposure. Not from one time or occasional casual exposures.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2009, 11:20 AM   #3
(female)

misE08 HB User

My father passed away of Meso. in July 08. He worked several different places where he could or was exposed to it...however, everything that I have learned about this horrible disease is that it only takes a minimal amount of exposure, not years of workplace contact..asbestos is asbestos. It takes 20-50 years to show up and not everyone that is exposed to it will contract it. I can't tell you not to worry, but if you feel better about doing something, the only thing to do is continue to get checkups. If you have trouble breathing or start having other symptoms that dont seem to go away, I would mention it to your doctor. It sounds as if you are fine right now, but I dont know how long ago you were exposed....Keep your head up. Dont worry about things you cant change and worry about it only if/when it happens, enjoy your life to the fullest today. God Bless you.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-18-2009 at 08:03 AM.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
(female)

penniepie HB User

I was exposed about 10-13 years ago - i was in my home when my dad was removing the vermiculite - i didnt remove it myself - i was not really in direct contact with it but did go over to him time to time to see what he was doing (curious kid)

Old 02-17-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
(female)

misE08 HB User

I or no one else can say whether or not that you will contract it, only God knows that...it only takes a very small time and exposure to the asbestos to have the particles enter your body by breathing or ingesting them. But as I mentioned before, it does take around 20-50 years to actually show its ugly signs. I know others who have got it from fathers clothes and such. I would not worry about it now, please just enjoy your life, make the most of it, tell those you love how much they mean to you etc. None of us are guaranteed tomorrow for any reason. Best Wishes to you and yours.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
(female)

penniepie HB User

thank you for your information

Closed Thread