It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mesothelioma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2009, 06:33 AM   #1
(female)

mesobean HB User
surgery for peritoneal mesothilioma

My godmother was recently diagnosed with peritoneal mesothilioma. She is 63 years old and otherwise in excellent physical condition (with the exception of the continued peritoneal ascites. She is now searching for possible surgeons to perform surgical debunking and peritoneal perfusion, however, the surgery sounds frightening.

Is there anyone who has had this surgery who could discuss the pros and cons of the surgery? Please advise. Thank you!

Last edited by moderator2; 09-11-2009 at 07:09 AM. Reason: please do not ask members to post against the rules

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #2
(male)

slimj1983 HB User
Re: surgery for peritoneal mesothilioma

I would like to hear about what happened overall. I hope all is well, and it ll worked out for the best.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-11-2010 at 05:30 AM. Reason: please do not post your email address

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
(female)

mesobean HB User
Re: surgery for peritoneal mesothilioma

She went through a 12 hour "debunking" surgery at the Cleveland Clinic where they stripped the peritoneal lining and then did an abdominal "chemo wash" where the chemo was inserted into her abdomen & it 'washed' the peritoneum--then they drained the chemo....6 months later she still has no symptoms of the mesothelioma (she was needing to be drained at least once a week prior to surgery due to the ascites build-up in her abdomen. All drains have been removed except for a colostomy which could be reversed, but her body has been through so much surgery/trauma that they are not worrying about that right now. She is weak, but happy to be alive!

Old 06-13-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: peritoneal mesothilioma help

Hi Mesobean.......my mom had a similar cancer called a retroperitoneal sarcoma. It was a huge and rapidly growing tumor originating at the back of the peritoneal wall. First tumor they removed was 22 inches, the 2nd was 24". When she died 5 weeks later, she looked like she was 9 months pregnant.

That was in 1972. It was considered 100% fatal within 3-6 months....she lived 4 months of hell.

I'm glad to hear they now have treatment for this horrible form of cancer as I worry everyday about it....I am now the same age she was when she got it. It is extremely rare.

Give your godmother my best and I'll put her in my prayers.

hugs............Jenny

PS...I think the surgery she went through was "debulking" as in taking out as much as they can.....they are bulky tumors. That's what they called my mom's.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
(male)

james62 HB User
Re: peritoneal mesothilioma help

Have you all discussed legal options? I am in the stage now to do so thoroughly.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-30-2010 at 06:14 AM.

Closed Thread