It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mesothelioma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
(female)

worryingalways HB User
Exclamation Asbestos in brake pads?

Recently I seem to have become very worried about the dangers of asbestos. The reason for this is because my boyfriend works in a warehouse and his job is to pick and pack customers orders. The orders are of used and new car parts. Due to the fact I have read brake pads and clutches can contain asbestos, I have started to worry that by him handling the car parts on a daily basis it is going to potentially affect his health in the long run due to any asbestos the car parts may contain and release into the air! This may seem stupid but I just cant stop worrying about it!! Is there any health dangers by boyfriend could be facing by doing this job? Is it safe to touch the car parts even if they have asbestos on them?
Anybody with any experience or knowledge of asbestos please get in touch
Thanks

The following user gives a hug of support to worryingalways:
esker (02-06-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User
Re: Asbestos in brake pads?

The use of asbestos in brake pads has been banned in Australia since the end of 2003 - I'm supprised the UK hasn't done the same.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vyking For This Useful Post:
esker (02-06-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User

Also in the United States as well. Asbestos in brake pads was banned in 2003. Used parts may contain asbestos but it's not like your boyfriend is grinding or resurfacing them. It's unlikely that fibers are loose in the air. You really could stop worrying about this.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Esker is correct. Car parts don't have free floating asbestos. It's the businesses that make things from free asbestos that have a problem....or their employees do. It can also be found in older homes where you could buy the asbestos in powder form and then mix it with water and put it around your heating pipes as insulation. As it gets older, it flakes off. So if you see white stuff falling off pipes in an older home, have it checked out. We found it in our last rental house. Even had the original box of the powder in the basement as there was no place to dump it. We left as landlord wanted to just leave it all alone(costs money to fix!).

But car parts are not a problem....if he worked for the company that made the brakes prior to 2003, he might, but not just packing them up...they are all in boxes anyhow.

He is safe.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:42 AM   #5
(female)

LilacGardenia HB UserLilacGardenia HB User

Not only has the use of it been banned, it is lethal only when the fibers are released (broken asbestos brakes), and nobody would buy or sell broken brakes, or at least I'd hope not. Thanks for being concerned, though - the danger of asbestos is nothing to underestimate and that's good that you thought about it.

Last edited by LilacGardenia; 09-23-2011 at 01:43 AM.

Closed Thread