It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Military Health Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2004, 06:59 PM   #1

chelespiglets HB User
Question skin problems anyone?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone else out there is having problems with their skin?Since my husband came home from the Gulf War, he now has this skin rash of some sort that comes and goes all the time. ( he never had this before he went) He has gone to the doctor for it and they tell him that it has nothing to do with him being over there. Most of the company that was with him all have the same rash that comes and goes. It is red and itches and he looses his skin in that area that it pop ups in. It is not eczema ... it is different then that. But I guess you can say it is similar. The doctor's give it a weird name, but all the doctor's he sees say it is something different each time. Not one of them have said the same thing. They have given him medicine to put on it, but none of it seems to work.
He has a few other things going on to, but this one stumps us. Our new daughter seems to have something like it to. By the way I lost to angels after he came back too. We think a lot of this has to do with him being over there. He is registered with the Gulf War registry.

Just thought I would ask if anyone out there is going through this skin problem. We have lost contact with the others he was over there with.

Take care
Blessings Chele'

Old 11-08-2004, 09:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ncgirl88 HB User
Re: skin problems anyone?

Hi chelespiglets -

I would have your husband and daughter tested by IgeneX standards for Lyme disease and possible tick coinfections through an LLMD (lyme literate M.D.

I have this weird migrating rash that is especially prevelant after showering or being exposed to heat. I never remember being bitten by a tick nor did I have the conventional bulls eye rash. I was tested 3 times by conventional labs and then by IgeneX and I have Lyme, Babesiosis (a malaria like illness), and Ehrlichiosis. These are all coinfections and most M.D.s don't understand there prevelance or the importance of diagnosis.

Check out the lyme board here on healthboards if you are curious. There are many on this board than can suggest a LLMD in your area.

I hope your family feels better soon.

-ncgirl88

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2004, 10:57 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

ArcticTraveler HB User

Skin problems? Yes! Forearms, hands, fingers. Raised bumps, blisters, resembles cold sores. Crack open, ooze, crust, bleed, scar the skin, thickens the skin. Some lumps under the skin that seem in my muscle directly underneath ones on my forearms. The lumps just happened this year. Almost same areas both sides of body. Seems to be slowly spreading up my arms last few years. Terrible! Frustrating! Very itchy at times. Scratch until my skin flakes away or starts to bleed.

Over the last decade, VA has diagnosed as....psoriasis, eczema, dermatitis, discoid lupus erythematosus, post-herpetic lesions, lesions, photosensitivity, and others. Even tried to say it was dry skin. Touched on possible Lyme Disease, but then said not. They don't really know, do they? Everytime they give a diagnosis, they throw it out the next time around and come up with something else.

Have been prescribed and tried almost every OTC medication available for skin conditions. Nothing works! Closest thing was prescribed by private doctor called Lotrisone. Made it feel better. However, VA will not prescribe it. Instead, they give me cream-based Clobetasol and oil-based Fluocinonide which doesn't really mix well together and doesn't really help much.

The condition is chronic and seems resistant to meds. I refer to it as "Gulf War Skin Rot." Does it sound at all similar to what your husband has? Doing my own research on-line and with books, the condition seems to resemble early stages of Mycosis Fungoides. Anyone know if it sounds similar???? Is that what your husband's doctor called it or not?

See my other post entitled "Gulf War Ailments". No one else has taken an interest except "ShatteredLife2".

Write your congressman. The new war has swept GWS vets under the rug. Upwards over 150,000 although higher estimates around 200,000 that the VA & DOD almost agree with. People are suffering.

-----ArcticTraveler

Old 12-01-2004, 09:09 PM   #4
(female)

GulfVet2 HB User

The latest diagnosis for my skin rashes is Erythema Annulare Centrifugum. It looks like ringworm, but it is not. Mine usually appears on my forearms, wrists and hands although occasionally, I have found a spot elsewhere. It starts as a small circle with a red ridge and grows bigger with the center getting scaly and dry. It doesn't usually itch except once in awhile. None of the medicines (creams, ointments, etc) prescribed through the past 12-13 years have helped. Last time they gave me as strong a steroid cream as available, but I haven't tried it yet. The rashes come and go without rhyme or reason and last however long they feel like staying. I did notice that heat and hot water tend to make them more pronounced. Also, I had parasites (blastocystis hominis) and while being treated for them, I had a terrible erruption of the rash. Now the parasites are gone and the rash finally cleared up again, but I'm still waiting for the rash to return. It has only been a couple of months so I'm not ready to say the parasites were the reason, but that could be. Testing for the parasites can be done at any VA with a fecal sample.

Old 12-14-2004, 05:53 PM   #5

chelespiglets HB User

Thanks everyone for writing me back.

My hubby is not here right now, doing the retiring things.....

I know they gave him steroid cream which really did not help. My daughter seems to be doing better, I will have to check to see the name of the cream they gave her that is working. But my hubby, that is another story, I feel so bad for him when it gets acting up. He gave up with the doctors about the skin thing. None of them seem to know what it is. We do know that everyone that was in his company in the same area over there, all have the same skin thing. None of them have gotten the same diagnoses either. I don't think any of the quacks know anything.... He goes for his last bit of medical for out processing in a few weeks, maybe they will shed light.

Thanks for the info and for sharing your health problems.

I wish you all the best and I hope and pray that you find relief soon.....

I will have him read your posts and see what he can add to mine when I talk to him....

Many blessings and Merry Christmas..... And best of health in 2005

Old 12-22-2004, 09:29 PM   #6
(female)

mcelroy21 HB User

Hello, I am a gulf war vet as well and had a rash on exposed areas of my skin (legs and arms) everywhere clothing was not covering. When I returned from the gulf, most of the rash went away but the rash on my arms has never gone away. In the winter it 'dries' up but it is always visible. When it gets bad the bumps look like tiny volcanoes and clear fluid oozes out. Ick. I have had it tested by VA and private doctors--they all have a different take on it but most say "try a good moisturizer." Ugh. I tried steroid cream and that worked somewhat in reducing the sizes of the bumps but they would come back as soon as I stopped using the ointment. Had a claim in for a skin condition and even though the VA can't identify the type of rash and list a skin rash as a presumptive conditon to establish service connection, they denied my claim. I still have the rash. Sorry I can't be more help. I call all of my symptoms I have from the gulf 'the gift that keeps on giving'

Old 01-03-2005, 10:49 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

ArcticTraveler HB User

The way you describe the rash is fairly similar to what I have. Youíre right! It does tend to stay during winter, but is dry. It is on areas that were exposed. My forearms, hands, fingers. Up to where a short sleeve shirt sleeve would end on my lower upper arm.

---ArcticTraveler

Old 02-04-2005, 04:25 PM   #8
(male)

jyzee HB User
Artic Traveler,

Did you ever figure out what is wrong? I have the same problem, lumps on my forearm in the same place on both arms strange. They feel attached to the bone too. I was diagnosised with Lyme about 20 months ago. I have very dry wrinkled skin from Lyme as well. Lyme can really mess the skin up. Were you tested for Lyme? If so I hope it wasn't an ELISA test.

Old 02-04-2005, 08:56 PM   #9
(female)

mcelroy21 HB User

Jyzee,
I have been tested for Lyme disease--no diagnosis. I don't know what type of test was used though. The skin rash does lend creedence to Artic Travlers theory of something in the air......................Hhhhmmmmm...mul tiple exposures perhaps???

Old 03-02-2005, 03:11 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

ArcticTraveler HB User

Jyzee,

Was just recently tested by neuro for Lyme. Haven't gotten the results yet. I never recall being bit by a tick or having a bullseye rash. I think neuro is just testing to eliminate Lyme as a cause for all my ailments.

---ArcticTraveler

Old 03-04-2005, 07:31 AM   #11
(female)

Pjay HB User

It seems that skin problems is common with post Gulf War military. In addition to skin problems my husband broke out with a rash on his hand resembling an STD. He went to the clinic and was treated for STD. I wonder if this is possible or if I'm being lied to. If anyone out there knows if this is possible, please respond.

A very concerned wife.

Old 05-23-2005, 01:32 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

ArcticTraveler HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyzee
Artic Traveler,

Did you ever figure out what is wrong? I have the same problem, lumps on my forearm in the same place on both arms strange. They feel attached to the bone too. I was diagnosised with Lyme about 20 months ago. I have very dry wrinkled skin from Lyme as well. Lyme can really mess the skin up. Were you tested for Lyme? If so I hope it wasn't an ELISA test.

Finally got the Lyme Disease test results from the VA. Six months. That wasn't so bad.

It didn't say anything about ELISA.

The results were negative.

Old 12-27-2005, 05:45 PM   #13
(male)

rockfordx2 HB User

The skin problems that you gulf vets may be experiencing is called "Erythema ab igne"
Its not a simple rash. Repeated exposure to heat causes skin lesions. These skin lesions are very hard to see at first and most dermatologist will miss them. Then, with repeated exposure to heat, these lesion become more red. By the time you can see them with your naked eye, they are pretty much pernament for life or will last years. Skin cancer is not uncommon in cases of Erythema ab igne.
I got it from working in a steel foundry and it took me FOREVER to get a proper diagnoses here in Canada. Hardly any doctors ever bother to think about it, but it was actually much more common with your great grandparents. They got it from repeatly sitting too close to fires. The temperatures in the gulf would be enough to bake the skin. All you need is forty-something degrees and to be standing behind the hot exhaust of some peice of machinery.

The important thing to remember is that the skin can look almost completely normal and the deep subdermal still be damaged. In fact, I had burning skin pain and fatigue for two years while working in the heat, before the characteristic redness, "rash" (lesions) and thinness of skin showed up.
My advise to gulfwar vets is to consisder the heat as a toxin. I did for a year and my energy levels and pain improved so much. Avoid all source of heat like saunas, really hot baths, the heat from the sun. If you got hot halogen lights in your house, replace them, and don't sit under them when you go out to the mall, etc. Don't wear suntan lotion or any lotion with oil, it'll trap in the heat on your skin and make you feel hotter and more tired. If your on any medication that dilates your blood vessels like directics or Ace Inhibitors, try switching to another medication.
Spray water on your skin from a plant water bottle every hour to keep your skin cool. This will really help with your fatigue.

Best of luck and thanks.
One Canadian who actually appreciates what you guys did.

P.S Do a google search on Erythema ab igne

Closed Thread