It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Military Health Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2004, 12:02 PM   #1

offdahook4now HB User
What to do?

My husband just retired from the army 2 yrs ago. He served in the Gulf War in 90 with the 1st ID (BRO) and started having symptoms soon after. He had heard of soldiers who were complaining of GW symptoms, and of soldiers who were convienetly 'forced' out for 'other' reasons. He was afraid to say anything because we had a family and he already had almost 10 yrs in and had no other means to support our family. So, he suffered in silence. A few years later, I finally begged him to get tested, and at that time Ross Perot was funding medical exams/tests, and my husband went and had some tests done. He got scared and backed out before all the testing was completed.
He had a severe paranoia of the military finding out and kicking him out of the army.
Along with his other symptoms, he began having panic attacks. Those have subsided, but his other symptoms have gotten worse.

Here is his symptoms:

- sore throats frequently
-muscle and joint pains - joints crack, and pop
-night sweats
-irritable bowel syndrome
-weight gain
-heart palpatations
-rashes and itching
-frequent urination
-chest pains...all the time... moans and groans in sleep in pain
-fatigue
-acid reflux
-dry skin
-dizzyness
-breathing problems

Dizzyness is always present, sometimes worse, sometimes not so bad. Has said for 11 yrs he feels like he has a tight rubber band around his head.

-severe attention problems
- bad short term memory
-anxiety, panic attacks
-tingly feelins in extremities
-sleep problems
-light headedness
-disturbing dreams
-muscle weakness
-bright lighst bother him
-smells bother him... amonia, nail polish, etc
-sounds bother him, esp high pitch shrill sounds
-muscle spasms

My husband used to be physically fit. In 20 yrs in the military, he got a score of 300 on every single pt test. He ran 3-5 miles a day. He pushed himself so hard. He stopped forcing himself when he retired and now he gets winded walking across a parking lot.

I have developed some symptoms over the years and I don't know if these are connected, but think they might be.

-Loss of memory... short term. It's pretty bad, and very embarrasing.
-Word jumbling... I mix up words while I'm talking. (ex. The desk is in the pen)
-tingling in fingers
-severe fatigue... I could sleep all day
-concentration problems....
-sleep problems
-muscle aches and pains... for no reason. will feel like I sprained my ankle..with no injury... or wrist.. etc
-restless leg syndrom
-feel like I'm walking around in a fog.

I noticed many symptoms of GWS and Fibromyalgia are similar.

I guess I'd like to know if it's too late for my husband to register with the GW registry, and/or does his symptoms sound like GWS? He was threatened with an article 15 if he did not take the vaccines/pills. He was also exposed to the burning oil, and the alarms went off constantly. He said his gear did not work properly.
He feels like yea, it happened, nothing can change it, so why do anything about it? I think otherwise.

Any other Gulf War vets out of Ft. Riley Kansas with similiar problems?

Last edited by offdahook4now; 09-16-2004 at 10:37 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2004, 02:34 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

ArcticTraveler HB User
Re: What to do?

Please read my post entitled “Gulf War Ailments”.

I’ve experienced many of the symptoms you mention for over 12 years. The VA took several years to diagnose many of them. Most of those diagnoses are listed in my other posting. Some of my symptoms such as night sweats, poor muscle control, numbness/tingling, leg cramps, and malabsorption have still not been associated with any disease. Some symptoms are often referred to in my records as “of unknown origin” or “of unknown etiology.” (However, all of my claims that I have filed for as “undiagnosed illness” were denied.) My symptom of muscle twitching is flat-out ignored by the VA and discounted even if I’m sitting in front of the doctor showing him the twitches. Regarding my skin condition (rash/lesions), the VA has given so many different diagnoses, it’s obvious they have no idea what it is.

I don’t believe it’s too late to register for the registry exam. Call your local VA office and request the form for the Gulf War Registry exam (unless they do it on-line now). Once you fill it out and hand it in, the VA will schedule an exam date. I can’t tell you what good the exam does. I registered in 1993, had my exam started in 1994. Believe it or not, the VA has never completed my exam. Even after I wrote to congress a few times regarding the matter. They never finished it. I gave up pursuing the issue in 1997. I’m under the impression that the registry exam provides statistics more than anything, but it's best to get one done anyhow.

The symptoms you mention are all too familiar. So many are experiencing the same symptoms. How can it not be some sort of illness? A few of my old friends that served in my unit have admitted to having bad headaches, rashes, digestive problems, strong mood swings, etc. I would say that anyone who’s been experiencing such symptoms ever since the war can most likely relate it to being caused by the war. Wouldn’t you?

Old 09-15-2004, 05:53 PM   #3

ShatteredLife2 HB User
Exclamation Re: What to do?

I have gulf war syndrome ailments but I never made it past the Reception Station! We were effected right away, some of us. There were 9 of us very sick from something and we looked horrible. I spent one week in the hospital for something that looked like the plague! It was very bad! The antibiotics didn't do anything for us either. I never deployed and stayed stateside but I was effected by something. I do remember right before I fell ill I smelled flowers or something like that? There were no flowers where I was at! I really can't remember the event very well. Now my smell senses are gone-- destroyed! The only thing I smell now is something very nasty like a very strong glue smell! Like model glue or something? It is really bad. Almost like nasty foot odor? So strange... I couldn't even smell the natual gas when it was leaking in the house. My step dad almost lit up a cigarette upon entering our house! I almost died because I couldn't smell anything! I simply didn't know that the house was gassed up!

I am trying to get my stuff taking care of also. I have the whole list of ailments also and I moan in pain at night time and in the morning also from pain and sleep apnea, etc. I have the cognitive dysfunction which is effecting: Memory, concentration, reasoning, motor activity, etc; I have the arthritis, joint pain, lumbar pain/arthritis, breathing problems, tingling, etc. I don't know if it is MS or what? All I know is I am really messed up! and right before the war started!

I was angry that I had to leave the service but I figured there must be some reason why? I wanted to be a good soldier so bad and then I get contaminated vaccines or whatever this is? I do remember smelling something in the air that day that may have been fruity? There is a weapon called Novichok which is soviet made that can cause gulf war syndrome symptoms... This could be an explanation? I barely noticed the fruity smell in the air but I did smell it right before I fell very ill where I almost died! I also have the ankle pain, knee pains, lumbar pains, kidney pains, chest pains, abdominal pains, Internal organ pains, numbness in extemities at times, skin overly sensitive to the touch, etc.

I also have the weight gain, overeating problem where I have to overeat just to feel half-way normal or I will suffer from great pains like if I skip a meal, etc. Something is robbing my energy levels. I feel overly hot, nauseated daily, get over hot and severely nauseated on any form of physical exertion! There goes 99% of jobs for me that demand hard physical labor! I am really screwed and can't work so I sleep all day and am left like this against my will! Sick! Unable to work! Denied SSA, VA, etc. The SSA even cut my money down from over $700 per month down to 193 per month! I guess they decided to retaliate! and screw me out of my hard earned retirement! They have cut me off from being able to support myself in the future...

You know, I do the same thing ramble on and make absolutely no sense... and say off the wall things. Like the the pencil over there is... This just isn't normal thought process! Something has altered our thought patterns. Neurologic damage? Memory Dysfunction. I know your husband is sick! becasue I am the same way! Did he ever serve in GA?

Last edited by ShatteredLife2; 09-15-2004 at 06:18 PM.

Old 09-16-2004, 09:33 AM   #4

offdahook4now HB User

I think I knew all along that my husbands problems were due to GWS, but because he is not one to complain about anything, I guess I forgot until I found out he was *still* having all these problems.

One other symptom, which I forgot to add is his quick temper. He never used to be like this before GW but now stupid things set him off. We actually almost divorced because of this. He still has anger issues, but he tries to control it.

I have also check out a few sites that mention wives and children becoming ill. What I am experiencing is very scary to me, because I used to be so together. I mean I always had good thought process, never felt "stupid", and was not as confused as I am now. I can't hold a job because my short memory is so bad.
I used to cover up for myself and tell people I was hard of hearing, so they would have to repeat themselves, and I wouldn't look like an idiot who couldnt remember something within seconds. I can't BS my way through things anymore, it's noticable. I can't even tell a story without getting off track, forgetting where I was, jumping around, changing the subject, etc.

Last year, I went to a fast food drive thru. Ordered, pulled up and paid for my food, then left forgetting my food.

This sounds terrible, but many, many times, after sitting on the toilet, I can't remember if I pee'd or not.

My kids think it's funny that I mess up things that I say all the time. Once I held a green sweater, handed it to my daughter, and said, " Here, wear this blue sweater, while I'm looking right at it and can clearly see it's green!

I will be engaged in a conversation ( just now forgot what I was going to say)
will stop mid sentence, and ask him what he wanted?

I'm so confused right now, I can't even get my thoughts together.

I feel like I'm losing my mind. These aren't just occasional occurances, it happens ALL THE TIME.

I'm tired all the time. I went to bed at 11 pm last night, got up at 530 with the kids, then went back to bed at 730 till 1130, and I'm fighting off the urge to go back to bed.

My husband thinks I'm lazy. He is out working all day long, and he works long hours, and here I am at home, not getting anything done. I feel so bad, because he's the one with the major problems, and he works like a dog to support us, even being sick, and I stroll out of bed at 11 am, and even will take a nap during the day. This isn't right.

I know I'm rambling. I tell myself that I just have to live with it. I have a major fear of Dr's. so, unless or until I can combat that fear, I guess I'm destined to live like this.

I'm sorry for all of you who are sick. I'm sorry our governement lies, and tries to hide things. I had a brother who served in Vietnam who died from a cancer that was caused from agent orange poisoning. He was only 28 when he died in 1978.
I lost my mom in 1975 to autoimmune hemolytic anemia, which I didn't know anything about, but am now learing, and it's scaring me a little bit. I lost my dad to murder in 1983. I guess I'm just scared that I'll find out I'm dying or my husband is dying, and that scared the crap out of me.

Last edited by offdahook4now; 09-16-2004 at 09:35 AM.

Old 09-16-2004, 10:33 AM   #5

offdahook4now HB User

My husband was in HHB 4/5 FA, but he was attached to 2/16 INF. He was a fister. He was never in GA, but spent most of his time in Kansas.

Old 09-16-2004, 09:28 PM   #6

ShatteredLife2 HB User
Question Re: What to do?

I had a lethal temper before I joined the military! Now it is reeeaaaaallly bad... If one person would have said one thing to me, I would have jumped them and probably would have killed them! Luckily no one bothered me. My temper is still bad but not nearly as Hot as it was; Don't get me wrong, I still have my days though where I feel like attacking for no reason hardly at all. It is sort of like rabbies or something? It is a major concern to me... I don't know why I feel like this? It isn't normal behavior to be like this. I was in the Infantry 11B; and was hospitalized for something very odd for 7 days and when I didn't get better the military paniced!!! and got us something else that would help! A large black pill that changed everything but was very limiting. It saved me from certain death but I am still sick even today which is going on 14 years later... I believe it was "The last line of defense pill" the stongest antibiotic known to exist!!! I was lucky, and I got out of the bed the next day! Still very sick but I was up out of bed and shouldn't have been because I was dyeing the day before... It was too quick! Now I am paying for it now and is the reason why I had to leave the U.S. Army! I was denied SSA Claim and VA refuses to help me or even see me for some reason? They really hold a grudge! I did my part in the Army! I didn't mess up, they botched the vaccines or whatever happened? However, my records show me as really a bad person which isn't my fault! I was very sick so I had to leave, I felt like I was dyeing while standing in formation! I didn't want to get out but I felt I was too sick to continue in my fogged condition! If you aren't physically fit to fight from vaccine damage then you can't go to war in a hostile region! That is what happened to me! Now the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) just gave me more bad news that they refuse to give me a medical discharge from the service! Now I am triple screwed! It just keeps on getting worse and I did nothing to desserve this bad treatment! I did the honorable thing and stood down! I had to because I wouldn't have been any good to anyone because my body was trashed at that point back in 1990! Getting the Army to realize this is another story but I will continue to stand my ground on these very important issues. Some soldiers got sick after the inoculations but I got sick right away! Those vaccines hurt me really bad and I was very healthy! I came in 2nd place out of 3 schools in cross-country running in high school! I ran 3 miles after boot camp in 14:57 this is really excellent timings! God blessed me with excellent health and I was glad that I could do those amazing things. Now I can barely walk and old people can outwalk me. I am now lower than the oldest person you see! and I am 37 years old! I have been like this ever since I was 25 years old! and I jumble my words and say off the wall things and make no sense at all a lot. My mind comes and goes and I forget in mid-sentence what I was even doing in the first place and I get really dumbfounded like I lost something or something if that makes any sense? And they say we are normal... Not hardly, and in fact I am totally messed up and feel 80 years old in a young persons body. It just isn't right have to be like this permenantly! I am disabled but getting the govt. to acknowlege this is next to impossible! They shouldn't do us like this, it just isn't right. Money is all that ever seems to matter to them, not very sick americans...

Last edited by ShatteredLife2; 09-16-2004 at 09:33 PM.

Old 09-27-2004, 12:41 PM   #7

Medavis HB User

Just a quick reply. My attention can't be held very long. I registered for GWI in 1991. I began my application for disability in 2001. It took me forever to fill out the papers, all at the coaxing of my husband and parents. I got all of my appointments lined up and never made it to a one. I was like your husband, why bother?! It's the price we pay for serving our country, right? Wrong, but I didn't know that when my brain was all foggy, but when my father got angry with me I figured it was time to take care of business. When I got the denial letter I decided to re-apply, this time going to the doctor's appointments. I got approved, but only 40%. For now that's OK, I am able to get up everyday. Good luck and remember, GWI sufferers are often tired and confused and definately need a lot of support and a little push a lot of the time. Good luck.

Old 10-05-2004, 04:28 PM   #8

Tommy-G HB User

Dear Offdahook,
Please see my post about depleted uranium. I had mercury poisoning and had a lot of the symptoms you mentioned. Mercury and uranium are heavy metals and affect the brain and nervous system. There was a lot of DU in Persian Gulf and the recent Iraq war. See the NY Daily News for stories about it. Please try what I tried. It worked for me(www.magneticclay.com). Good luck. I am sorry for all your pain.
Tommy

Old 10-08-2004, 04:45 PM   #9
Inactive

joe28paws HB User

You know what I think is really scary is.....

I joined the military in 1992 and when I was in basic training, I got all of those damn shots whatever the heck was in them, screwed my body up, and not only that, one of our sergeants threw a gas grenade or something at that time toward us and we had to get our protective masks on and mine wasn't working at the time, I took in alot of gas by breathing it in and about 10 minutes after that happened my bowels lost all control, (very embarrassing) but this actually happened, I am not ashamed of it happening.

Anyways, I never went over to Saudi, I stayed in the U.S, is there any way that the gas and or the shots got me.

I used to be very sharp when it came with everything, not anymore, I have been having alot of the same things happen with my body that have happened to all of you on these boards.

It scares me to think the government can do this crap to our soldiers.

Is there anything anyone can tell me what they think about my situation?

Thanks
Joe

Old 10-10-2004, 07:25 PM   #10

ShatteredLife2 HB User

joe28paws,

I would very seriously look at the vaccines as your possible cause. I fell ill 2 days after the vaccines I received so that was the prime suspect as far as I am concerned. You didn't mention whether or not you got the anthrax vaccines as well. I never deployed and couldn't for that matter because I too busy dyeing in the army hospital from a very severe adverse reaction to the vaccines we were ordered to have to get. I almost died also as a result. Common sense told me that it was no ordinary sickness, and that it was more than likely Biological Warfare...

I was very sick and guards came in to control the situation apparently and they wouldn't allow some doctors to get to us! It was biological warfare testing on us is what I personally believe now. We were unwilling participants in biological warfare experimentation. I am very upset that the U.S. Army would have the audacity to subject their own in Biological Warfare experimentation and testing like they've done to us. I was there to defend this great country despite bad things that do happen in this country, I was there to protect the good in this country from evil! It is unfortunate that I became a victim of the evil in our system. I did my part even despite the bad record that I have been labled with. I have always kept the faith in our system despite the evil doers. All I can do is pray for them that they will do what is right to all of us that are bad off sick.

I had a bad case of diarrhea too when I first fell ill 2 days after the innoculations, that is probably what you experienced as I did. Also whatever was in the vaccines had a delayed reaction for many people. For me, it happened very quick but I was super healthy and yet It was pretty quick, several days after the vaccines.

From what you've have described, I take it you are very messed up like me. Do you mind if I ask you where you served? You could have been in the same place as I was? What is done is done and I can't do anything to help myself or anyone else really but if I can help in any kind of possible way I will if it is in my power to do so. I am so lucky to be alive! I believe what saved me from death was the "Last line of defense Pill" which is the most powerful antibiotic known to exist! I was dyeing one minute and was slipping away and at the last minute this black pill saved me from dyeing! Our doctor ran away when he saw us in our condition!!! The nurse came in asking me where did the doctor go! I told her he ran out the door!!!

You want to hear something more scary... They had one pill to give and I got that pill the others didn't get one for some reason? I walked out of that hospital and the others didn't! I don't believe they survived... 9 men dead! we were apparently worse off than the vast majority...

Last edited by ShatteredLife2; 10-11-2004 at 02:24 AM.

Old 10-12-2004, 02:48 PM   #11
Inactive

joe28paws HB User
Arrow Re: What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatteredLife2
joe28paws,

I would very seriously look at the vaccines as your possible cause. I fell ill 2 days after the vaccines I received so that was the prime suspect as far as I am concerned. You didn't mention whether or not you got the anthrax vaccines as well. I never deployed and couldn't for that matter because I too busy dyeing in the army hospital from a very severe adverse reaction to the vaccines we were ordered to have to get. I almost died also as a result. Common sense told me that it was no ordinary sickness, and that it was more than likely Biological Warfare...

I have no idea if I would have gotten Anthrax, everything was a hush, hush, when I got my vaccines.

I was very sick and guards came in to control the situation apparently and they wouldn't allow some doctors to get to us! It was biological warfare testing on us is what I personally believe now. We were unwilling participants in biological warfare experimentation. I am very upset that the U.S. Army would have the audacity to subject their own in Biological Warfare experimentation and testing like they've done to us. I was there to defend this great country despite bad things that do happen in this country, I was there to protect the good in this country from evil! It is unfortunate that I became a victim of the evil in our system. I did my part even despite the bad record that I have been labled with. I have always kept the faith in our system despite the evil doers. All I can do is pray for them that they will do what is right to all of us that are bad off sick.

I had a bad case of diarrhea too when I first fell ill 2 days after the innoculations, that is probably what you experienced as I did. Also whatever was in the vaccines had a delayed reaction for many people. For me, it happened very quick but I was super healthy and yet It was pretty quick, several days after the vaccines.

I didn't have diarrhea after the innoculations, I had the diarrhea when they threw the gas bomb, whatever was in it, I don't know and it wasn't really diarrhea, I lost all of my bowel movement and it was more than that.

From what you've have described, I take it you are very messed up like me. Do you mind if I ask you where you served? You could have been in the same place as I was? What is done is done and I can't do anything to help myself or anyone else really but if I can help in any kind of possible way I will if it is in my power to do so. I am so lucky to be alive! I believe what saved me from death was the "Last line of defense Pill" which is the most powerful antibiotic known to exist! I was dyeing one minute and was slipping away and at the last minute this black pill saved me from dyeing! Our doctor ran away when he saw us in our condition!!! The nurse came in asking me where did the doctor go! I told her he ran out the door!!!

I didn't serve anywhere, this happened to me in Basic Training!

You want to hear something more scary... They had one pill to give and I got that pill the others didn't get one for some reason? I walked out of that hospital and the others didn't! I don't believe they survived... 9 men dead! we were apparently worse off than the vast majority...
I had never went anywhere from Basic to AIT, I came home and when I went to my reserve station, they didn't want me because I was the only female so they gave me papers to sign to leave and gave me $1,500 to shut up, so I did, the government is nothing but a crock of bull crap.

To this day I would love to do something but this all happened 12 years ago, that was like a lifetime ago.

Thanks for answering my post. I am so sorry about what they did to you, I don't understand why they use their own people as guinea pigs, but I guess they have to use us idiots that allow it

Joe

Last edited by joe28paws; 10-12-2004 at 02:53 PM.

Old 10-16-2004, 08:46 PM   #12

ShatteredLife2 HB User

Joe,

I know for a fact that something was definately in those vaccines that made us very sick! With some people it apparently had a delayed effect which all depends on how well your immune system is? some didn't know until after they got out of the military! With some others it happened right away like with me. Whatever hurt so many of us, it was in those shots. I am so afraid of vaccines now that I don't want to look at another needle for the rest of my life! I would rather die than to get another vaccine ever!!!

You are right, the shots were tainted with something really bad! I have heard that it is part of a global downsizing project to reduce population? Heck, look at Kosovo, Bosnia, and the ethnic cleansing... All what I believe is population control in action! A truck pulled along side of the kosovars and when they lifted the tarps there was a machine gun there to mow all of the civilians down! Sounds faimiliar? It is the Nazi Final Solution... All over again!!! A lot of countries are doing this including the great U.S.A.!!! My question is, what is next? Now I just found out that students at some school are playing around with very lethal airborne viruses and bacteria that could wipe out eveyone on the planet! A level 5 facility on campus!!! this is what is next I believe...

Last edited by ShatteredLife2; 10-17-2004 at 09:25 AM.

Old 08-16-2005, 11:03 AM   #13
(female)

wvbluetopez HB User

I know this is a late reply, but I just found this site. You just described my husband to the letter. He has every symptom you said your husband is suffering from. He was in the Army 1st. Cav. during the Gulf War, he spent most of his time near the burning oil fields or in a bradley with the spent rounds. The only help he has found is with our local Vet Center. He met a gentleman there who understood from the beginning what he was going through. He helped him file the paperwork and help him by talking to him about the symptoms and believing him that they were real and not fake as the VA Hopsital kept telling him. According to the VA all his problems were in his head and he had no physical health problems, but they couldn't tell him what the weird thing was they found in his blood. They just told him never to donate or give blood for any family members and suggested that he may not want to have children. To me that sounds like they found something they just don't want to say what it is. I met and married my husband after he was out of the Army, I didn't have to see him at his worst when he first returned home. I understand he was into the drinking . He finally found help with that at the Vet Center. He no longer drinks at all. I met him in 1998 and he was out of the service in 1991. He is now 100% total permanantly disabled according to the VA. He was found 90% unemployable in 1999 and was told not to continue to work. He can't eat much at all, everything goes straight through him. He does not go out into public unless it's a have to case, then it's just a quick trip. He lives with chronic heartburn, nothing the doctors give him helps. He has been treating some of his symptoms such as high blood pressure, pain and heartburn in the private sector since we were married in 1999 and he went onto my insurance. The VA says he has no pain, but his x-rays show his spine looks like an S and his vertabre are all smashed together. His disc are deteriated and he has one his that is lower then the other. This is also the hip he was given many injections in. He broke his neck at Ft. Hood, but according to the VA his neck problems are from a birth defect. Funny I didn't think they would let you join the military with health problems, especially a neck problem? So far we have now found anything that helps all of his symptoms, he takes various medications from the VA and some from the private sector. He uses two canes or an electric scooter if he's going to walking a lot. He is only 41 but he feels like he's 80. He gets mad because his body won't let him do the things he likes to do like, work on cars, tractors, to to races, teach his teenage son things like football, basketball etc. The odd thing is if you ask him he would join again in a heartbeat. He loved the military and often wishes he was still in. If you find anything that helps your husband please let me know! Tell your husband I said thanks for serving his country and protecting us.

Old 08-20-2005, 08:54 PM   #14
(female)

Angel_Voice HB User
Smile Re: What to do?

offdahook...

Hi there! I just wanted to let you know that your husband is not alone. My hubby was also in the Persian Gulf in 1990 out of Ft.Riley. His time was almost up when they had to deploy. When he came home in May of 1991 he was discharged at the end of June. Within days he was VERY sick! He had a lot of the same symptoms that your husband has and was NOT able to work. Our oldest son was just a baby at that time and I had to leave BOTH of them with his Mother while I worked full time. He went to doctor after doctor, both military and civilian. He had numerous amounts of tests and blood work run. The doctors even looked for very rare diseases and were completely at a loss. The VA docs finally decided that he was suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. He STILL suffers from memory loss, acid reflux, a reaccuring rash (which I've also developed that is IDENTICAL to his), doesn't like loud noises (4th of July fireworks shows are a COMPLETE ), will NOT sit at a resturant or anywhere in public with his back to the door, and sufferes from overwhelming fatigue. (He NEVER has enough sleep!!) He has to take Nexium 2x daily, get a prescription cream for his rash that looks more like he has been scalded, and on 100mg Zoloft daily. The Zoloft helps with his temper and the fidgiting. If he misses a dose he's like a child with ADHD with overwhelming anxiety!! He is able to work and hold down a job and has gone on to get his Bachelors degree. He is a lot better than he was in the beginning due to his meds and with the help of the Lord.

I do want to urge you to contact your local VA and see what your options are. A few years ago he was found 30% disabled due to the PTSD and receives a check every month. When he was given his disability thru the VA the government went back to the time of the war and gave him back pay. I know the money doesn't make up for your husbands illnesses, but if you were like us we were sooo deep in debt due to doctor bills it definitely helped to take away some of the stress.

I hope you and your husband have better days ahead! My prayers are with you both...

Angel~Voice

Old 08-20-2005, 10:23 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

ArcticTraveler HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel_Voice
offdahook...
I do want to urge you to contact your local VA and see what your options are. A few years ago he was found 30% disabled due to the PTSD and receives a check every month. When he was given his disability thru the VA the government went back to the time of the war and gave him back pay. I know the money doesn't make up for your husbands illnesses, but if you were like us we were sooo deep in debt due to doctor bills it definitely helped to take away some of the stress.
Angel~Voice

Have you heard the news?
Will it be affecting your husband?
Here are some snippets..........

The Veterans Affairs Department will begin a yearlong review next month of 72,000 cases after an internal study found inconsistencies in the way the claims were approved, including many cases approved though they lacked required medical evidence.

The review will cover veterans whose claims were approved between 1999 through 2004 and who receive disability benefits for PTSD alone or in combination with other conditions.

If the current review finds a veteran's claim does not include adequate proof of a "stressor", the veteran will be asked to provide more information and could ultimately lose benefits.

August 12, 2005, The Associated Press

I THINK THIS IS COMING ABOUT BECAUSE OF THE LARGE NUMBERS OF WOUNDED RETURNING FROM IRAQ. IT'S NOTED THAT THE VA HAS A BUDGET PROBLEM. THEY NEED TO HELP THOSE COMING BACK FROM IRAQ, SO THEY'LL TRY TO CUT VETERANS WHO ARE ALREADY RECEIVING DISABILITY. IT'S TOO OBVIOUS, AND I KNEW IT WAS COMING.

I THINK THAT IS WHY MY APPOINTMENTS WERE ALL CANCELLED AND SO WERE MY PRESCRIPTIONS. THEY'RE TRYING TO SAVE A BUCK.

I WAS DENIED PTSD CLAIM I FILED IN 1994. THEY FINALLY DENIED IT IN 1998. THEN, THE WITCHDOCTORS AT THE VA DIAGNOSED ME WITH PTSD, AFTER MY CLAIM WAS DENIED. A COUPLE YEARS LATER, I BROUGHT THAT TO THEIR ATTENTION. THEY THEN STOPPED CARRYING THE DIAGNOSIS FORWARD. NOW THEY SAY I DON'T HAVE PTSD.

I BELIEVE MY AILMENTS WERE CAUSED BY WHAT I BREATHED IN OVER THERE ANYWAY, OR TOUCHED. THE PLUME FROM 750 BURNING OIL WELLS!?!?

-ArcticTraveler

Last edited by ArcticTraveler; 08-20-2005 at 10:25 PM.

Closed Thread