It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Military Health Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2005, 08:02 AM   #1
(male)

RedJay HB User
Question

I went through both Shield and Storm. Did ground troop stuff in Iraq for a few months outside Basra in a little poo-hole called An Nasiriah (spelling is probably wrong). Did the PTSD thing and kept working for the Army for another 6 years. No problems. Left with honorable discharges, life after college was ok. No alcoholism or drug abuse. Nothing unusual at all.

Then 3 weeks ago (November 2005) I get this infection. In both heels. It's beaten 4 antibiotics so far and has spread up to mid ankle on one leg. The swelling is rather massive, roughly a quarter inch above norm, with a pressure pain akin to a second degree burn in intensity. No other symptoms, but it's a skin disease. I noticed that skin diseases are common in Gulf Vets, and I just have the unfortunate situation of being one.

Stumped 3 ER doctors and has a podiatrist puzzled. Had X-Rays, MRI, basic blood work: negative, and I'm waiting a full week for blood cultures. I won't find out about the MRI for another four days.

So I'm wondering, does this sound familiar to anybody? Fifteen years of nothing, and here comes this completely vicious skin infection, out of the blue. I'm just trying to cover my bases. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-02-2006, 03:50 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

ArcticTraveler HB User
Re: Question

I don't know about that. I've heard so many different skin symptoms. Mine kinda started way after the Gulf, but resembled dry skin at first. Then, it slowly progressed to sores & lesions. Moved from hands to my forearms. Creeping to other places. Won't go away. VA gives dozens of diagnoses. Now, if my skin gets rubbed, it disintergrates and leaves a raw spot. Skin looks real sickly & unhealthy.

Don't be surprised if things creep up years later. I'm not talking things expected with age. I'm talking out of the ordinary things that won't go away and for some reason can't really be diagnosed, or respond to medicine. That's why it's important to go to the VA and get everything logged down.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2006, 08:37 AM   #3
(male)

bud6333 HB User
Re: Question

Sorry RedJay,
Thats a new one for me too.

Bud...

Closed Thread