It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Military Health Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2005, 07:08 AM   #1
(female)

zephyrqueen HB User
VET NEEDS HELP!!!! GW question

I'm fairly new to this site but have posted on several of them because I have several problems/disabilities. This may be rather lengthy so bare with me.
I was on active duty for 6yrs prior to being Reserves 1yr. I met my husband (now ex) while stationed in Landstuhl,Ge. He had already been to the Gulf and had not been back long. He had rashes for which he recieved shots for from the Dermatologist. He also had memory problems and some erectile problems. Shortly after he went to Bragg. About 8 months later I noticed my back starting to bother me. Didn't think much of it at the time. I was in EXCELLENT shape. ...but it persisted. Then my shoulders started next. Then my shin bones were starting to hurt. That was bothersome to me. It was not normal.
I saw the doctor there and was just put on a profile for a bit. It didn't really help. I then saw Ortho and had an MRI. ..shortly before PCS'ing to Bragg. It showed Degenerative Disk Disease. I didn't think much of that at the time either. Well now I have several other disabilities that I can't work and I'm pretty much confined to my house. Most days I don't know if it's going to be my neck pain, my back pain or both. Or something else. We also had Surbs, Croatians and Bosnians camped out in our Gym when I first arrived at Landstuhl because our hospital was overcrowed. I'm wondering if I didn't pick up something from them or from a patient in our hospital. Or from my ex who was there. He did take the nerve pills and something else they had to take.
My disabilities and problems are as follows:
DDD of T9/10, L2-4, L5-S1, Multi level DDD of C-Spine with bulges at C3-6, Nerve degeneration of C6/7 with axonal neuropathy, ulnar neuropathy of left arm, DJD bilateral shoulders, Osteo Arthritis in left shoulder with impengemet syndrome, Sacroiliac Dysfunction (due to narrowing of sacro joints bilaterally), Fibromyalgia, Myofacial Pain Syndrome,Neuralgias, SEVERE Migraines, Gerd, Spastic Bladder, Spondylosis in spine and neck and Osteopenia (low bone mineral density) L1-L4 and hips.
My lupus panel at Bragg was also borderline and another one has not been done by the VA in several years. I'm ANA positive, HLA-B27+ ...yet my RF is not. My ESR...sed rate is sometimes high. At first I was thought to have Anklyosing Spondlysis. All my problems started in 94 and since being medically discharged in 98, I've had shotty care from the VA I'm now awaiting total disk replacement of my L-5 because mine's almost completely desicated due to DDD. Also I'm getting ready to have a scope on my shoulder to clean out the OA to keep it from pinching down on my bursa. So that I can move my arm. I'm still fighting to get my 100%!!! I was told I could seek gainful employment. I WAS LIKE, WHEN?!!?? BETWEEN MY NEUROSURG, PODIATRY, ORTHO, PAINCLINIC, PSYCHIATRY, GP, GUI AND RHUEMATOLOGY....WHEN AM I GOING TO HAVE TIME. I AVERAGE 5-7 APPOINTMENTS A MONTH SOMETIMES. PLUS I DON'T FEEL GOOD MOST OF THE TIME. With this you just don't know how your days are going to be from the time you get up to the time you doze off. I've been told by so many docs that I'm too young to have these kind of problems. Well no s***!!! Try being 36 and feeling 80!!!
Sorry so long BUT PLEASE IF ANY VET CAN RELATE OR THINKS IT COULD BE POSSIBLE THERE COULD BE A CONNECTION BETWEEN THIS AND MY EXHUSBAND'S TIME IN THE GULF...PLEASE CONTACT ME!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2005, 08:24 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

spider37 HB User
Re: VET NEEDS HELP!!!! GW question

there is a connection my husband was in desert storm and i am so sick now i also have gerd i had cancer ployps removed from my colon when i was 33 i have diverticulosis and now they think i have a block in my intestine's i had surgery for the gerd and i still suffer from it i have spasm's in my esphougus that make's it feel like someone is riping my heart out so yes i do most defintly think that your husband being there is the reason you are sick btw i am 37 and feel like i am 100 so i do know how you feel and like you i was never sick before i met my husband and when i ask the doctor;s about a possiable connection they brush it off and say they never heard of any spouse's of vet's being sick which you know is a load of crap

Old 12-20-2005, 09:33 PM   #3
(female)

zephyrqueen HB User

Yes spider, I agree with you. I've brought this up with the VA docs on several occasions and get the brush off too. It's like it never existed.
I want to ask them if they are a Chemist and if they KNOW that for a fact! It really chaps my hide. I've never been tested for GWS because I wasn't there. I was active duty but it doesn't matter, my spouse WAS there! I'm also sure that being a spouse of a gulf war vet that WE are both entitled to some sort of work up or something...but we were never told of it. Thank you for answering me. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Also, I know that the docs are full of it when they say there's no connection. Tell that to all the babies that were born with defects after the GW!!! I can't devulge any info about where I worked or anything but I did see them. Some of them had NO arms!!! They just had stumps with hands. The doctors blamed it on genetics. Genetics my butt. You're telling me that after 10's of generations that there were no birth defects and BAM out of no where there is one. ...and it just so happens to be after the Gulf War. Where there were supposidly NO chemical agents. Yeah...right!
At any rate, I'm so sorry that you are having so many difficulties. I just wish more spouses would speak up. It's like the govt. is trying to keep us all silent. Including the VETS. I guess it's because we're all EXPENDABLE!!! I hope you are feeling better soon and drop in anytime. I'm here for you.

Old 12-21-2005, 06:46 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

spider37 HB User

i have heard about the birth defect's that's why my husband and i decided it was best not to have children. we have enough health problem's without involving am innocent baby in this whole mess. yes i do think that they think we are expendable and are covering up a whole lot me than people will ever know about.i can't go to the va here and get medical care they say they are to under staffed to treat the family's. i to wish more spouse's would speak up we should be compensated for our illness's to but we get nothing but grief we don't even get proper medical care.after all we the silent victim's in all this and that's just the way the goverment like's it. i hope you feel better soon to it's hard to live day to day like this i wish you the best of luck take care.

Old 12-21-2005, 11:11 AM   #5
(female)

zephyrqueen HB User

You know...it really makes me mad the more I read your post. I seriously would find out who your Congressman is and write him. Let him know what a hassle the VA is giving you. Maybe he can give you some help. I've done this when the VA was dragging their heels on my disability decission. Wasn't much longer after that when I recieved my rating. They only sat on it for over a year Also try the DVA...disabled vets. They may be much better help. Also try and get envolved in a chapter in your area. Belonging to one helps because they sometimes know all the inns and outs. Most of these guys have been around and know stuff we don't. After all ......how are we suposed to know what benifits we ARE intitled to if our reps don't know!!! Keep fighting and don't give in to their incompetence!!! OH...don't get me started on my soapbox!!! You take care and any time you need to vent. Please feel free. I"m here. Take care and give your husband my best as well.

Last edited by zephyrqueen; 12-21-2005 at 11:12 AM. Reason: spelling error

Old 12-21-2005, 05:12 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

spider37 HB User

yeah it make's me angry to they give the family health insurance which to say the least isn't very much my surgeon charged like 2600 dollars for my surgery champva paid 900 dollar's and i got a letter from them stating the rest was my cost share so yeah some real good insurance they give us they also don't cover dental can't wait to see what my cost share is for the rest

Old 12-21-2005, 06:02 PM   #7
(female)

zephyrqueen HB User

I'm at a loss for words. I don't have dental either because I don't have 100% yet....believe it or not. With all my problems, I'm still fighting to get my 100%!!!!
To tell you how over crowed and booked they are. My GP doc put in a consult to Podiatry on June 6th. I just had my appointment last Fri. Dec. 16th! Also, I went to Rheumatology early in Dec. 07 and even went by lab to have my bloodwork drawn. That took almost 2hrs!!! Then went to my appointment. I waited there for an hour. Then the nurse called me. She told me the doctor was not prepared to see me. So, they rescheduled me for Feb. of 06! I spent about 3hrs there for NOTHING!! Well, I recieved a letter in the mail yesterday saying that my provider will not be in that day so they canceled that appointment. I'm now scheduled for April!!!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarg h!!!! I was wanting in early because of the Osteo Arthritis in my neck is so BAD!!! I just spoke to my Rheumo's nurse in person last Fri. I was practically in tears because it was so bad. She told me she would check the books and call me. She never did I told her to call me if they have any cancellations. The only reason I showed up for Podiatry was because I'd waited for that appt. for 7months. Anyway....... I hear you girl! It's like a vicious cycle.

Old 12-21-2005, 07:25 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

spider37 HB User

how long have you been trying to get your 100% it took my husband 5 years for them to finally give him his hehad the legion at the va help him they pushed it through and kept on them but he didn't relize that they could help with his claim until the end when he finally got it i know what you mean about there appointment's i don't think my husband has had the same doctor more than twice they really need to get a better system did you hear how they are gonna be looking into some of the ptsd claims that people are collecting on and cuting people off because when they went for there review's for there disablity they are saying that the people who did the review's were not quilified or asked the right question's this is gonna screw up alot of people's live's and make new claim's even longer to even be looked at cause they are screwing around with old claims that should just be left alone

Old 12-22-2005, 04:03 AM   #9
(female)

zephyrqueen HB User

I have been trying to get my 100% for going on 4yrs now. It's been a grueling process believe me! No one is ever there when I call, or their out to lunch, gone for the day, with a client or in a meeting. It's enough to make one go postal. I have 80% now. The thing is I have 50% from a total hysterectomy which I had to have at 27. I have no children either. Some people think that's not fair. Let me say this. I had to have it at an early age. It puts your body through a LOT of changes physically and emotionally. Also knowing that I could NO LONGER have any children, my NCIOC (supervisor) put me back into my old job after my surgery. ...which was Post Partum. Then from there I went to Peds clinic and right before I got my medical discharge I went to Labor and Delivery. How nice of her. So, I can't tell you what this did to me mentally and emotionally. It still does today. I can still remember having to help mothers' breastfeed, still hear husbands telling their wives what a good job they did, mothers' telling their daughters how beautiful their grandchild is...knowing all the while that I can NEVER have a baby of my own. So, personally I don't think 50% even comes close to covering what I went through!
I'm SO happy your hubby has his 100%. He deserves it!!! They all do. For them to take away your husband's PTSD claim, or anyone else's is BEYOND words. If it were me, I'd hire a pro bono lawyer. One who is familiar with VA claims and knows the system. DON'T let them take what he so rightly faught for!
Since I can't work due to all my dissabilities, I'm seriously considering volunteering my time to the VETS at BAMC in San Antonio,Tx.
Shoot, it's just across the street from my house. Not only that, I can relate to a lot of what they are going through. I can only hope and pray that they DO NOT have to go through what the GW vets did...and still are. If not, I can just be a good ear. Remember above anything else...DON'T GIVE UP! That's what they want you to do! Good luck and best reguards to you both.

Old 12-22-2005, 02:48 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

spider37 HB User

im not worried about my husband loseing his disablity cause he really isn't right in the head at time's not to be mean but that's the only way i could put it im worried about other people loseing there i think there are gonna be an awfull lot of homeless vet's if they do this plus it is gonna make such a back log that new claims are gonna take even longer than they already take and both you and i know what the wait for that is like already

Old 12-27-2005, 06:56 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

jenn.e HB User

Has anyone applied for IU (Individual unemployability). My rating is 70% so I applied, but still waiting for a decision and probably another evaluation. Just curious to hear any stories about it. I dont want to get my hopes up to high.

Old 12-27-2005, 07:14 PM   #12
(female)

Ralinda30 HB User

So, spider...Are y'all saying that some vets that already have a rating may have to go back thru the c&p process....My husband is 100% and I havn't heard of this...But we did get a letter about 3wks ago from waco,tx saying they are processing our claim but they will contact us if they need any more info....What claim? We havn't filed for anything...Now, I am wondering if that is what it is..When I called noone knew what it was for....All they see is the claim, but no notation's ....WEIRD......Ralinda

Old 12-28-2005, 06:40 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

spider37 HB User

my husband read it in the dav magazine

Old 12-30-2005, 11:52 AM   #14
(female)

zephyrqueen HB User

Jenn.e, I'm 80% and I did apply for IU and was turned down twice!!! This will be my third time applying for UI and 100% disability. The VA said I was employable! I have a list that's so long and I'm currently waiting for them to raise the funds for my artificial disk for my L-5. So, I sit in pain because my vertebra are rubbing bone on bone. Also between Neurosurgery, Urology, GP, Podiatry, Pain Clinic, Rheumatology, Dermatology, Ortho, PT and Pshycology to help me deal with all this. When do I have time for work? I hurt ALL the time. I can't sit or stand for more than an hour at a time. I'm also having another MRI on my shoulder Jan. 3rd. Then Ortho will be doing a scope to rid my shoulder of some of the Osteo Arthritis so I can even move it.
Yes, Spider is correct. I recieve DAV mag too. I feel so sorry for all the new vets comming over from Iraq.
Spider, I'm so GLAD you're husband will NOT lose what's so rightfully his!!!!

Old 12-30-2005, 05:05 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

jenn.e HB User

Oh thats bad. I am so sorry. What makes this time different from the other 2? Do you think you are going to get it this time? Are you working with an amvet rep? I had my hopes up, not anymore though. I figured I had a shot, because I get random black out spells associated with my heart. I can't drive and I get horrible panic attacks almost daily. My list isnt anything compared to yours though! Any advise?

Closed Thread