It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Military Health Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2006, 06:04 AM   #1
(female)

Tess2202 HB User
Red face Birth Defects in Gulf War Children

My grandaughter was born with micro lissen calphy, also known as ' smooth brain' syndrome. Her brain stopped developing at 3 months during gestation.

She is 9 months now. The problem was not apparent until her seizures began at 6 months as her body outgrew her brain's ability to handle body functions.

She continues to deteriorate, does not have adequate swallow reflex and now is fed through a stomach tube. Her seizures are frequent and she is heavily medicated. Her life span projection is approximately 3 years.

This is supposed to be 'very' rare but I have seen posting from other Gulf War parents on the same illness.

I ask other parents and family to document the birth defects they are living with because the Veteran's Authority and government data is lacking.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:39 AM   #2

Jolly_Roger HB User
Re: Birth Defects in Gulf War Children

Im shocked and appauled.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2006, 12:44 PM   #3
(female)

Tess2202 HB User
Re: Birth Defects in Gulf War Children

Dennis, Gracie's father was interviewed live on FOX 30 News in Jacksonville, FL about his physical problems and my granddaughter's disability was also discussed live. This was a local news response of the finding of 'no determined causality' for the symptoms observed at twice the rate of other populations.

I am leaving my job and found another so I can live in the same city and be of support if possible. My heart needs this just as much. I just wish there was a co-ordinated way for more familes to get their problems diagnosed and recorded. According to the VA there is 'Insufficient data' to indicate a 'statistical correlation. My family will deal with the hand dealt but I plead for other families to speak up, be a nuisance and not let this go ignored.

Closed Thread