It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Military Health Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2006, 12:15 PM   #1
(female)

cavwife HB User
OIF wives sick?

SORRY I POSTED THIS IN ANOTHER PLACE AND NOTICES THE THREAD IS CLOSED. JUST WANT TO SEE IF ANYONE ELSE HAS HAD A PROBLEM WITH THESE LUMPS AFTER ANTHRAX VACCINE.

Hi everyone. I am new here. My husband was in the Army National Guard and went to Iraq in 2004. Before going there he had the 5 months of training in MS. During that time he recieved all the normal vaccines including anthrax and small pox. His unit always managed to gave them the vaccines the same day some of us wives were driving down for the weekend. So of course we spent the weekends with our husbands right after they got these and of course since we didn't get to see one another much and we knew they were goin to be in Iraq for a year, we had sex. Well after my husband recieved the first anthrax shot, he developed a large lump on his left wrist. he says it is not painful but he has never had it checked. He has now been home for a year. The lump is still there, he has not been able to get a full erection and he has night sweats almost every night. As for me, I have had a miscarraige since he has been home (we have two healthy girls and i have never had a miscarraige before), and now I have developed a lump just like his in the same place but on my right wrist and mine is very painful. we do not have medical insurance so I went to a free clinic in our area and they said they thougt in was a ganglion cyst but did not do anything other than look at my wrist. i just find it very stange that neither of us have had these lumps before and now we both have one in the same place but opposite hands.

SORRY for htis being so long. and i know these thing are nothing compared to what most of you are going through. I'm just wondering what this could be and since he has only been home for a year, I wonder if this is just the begining and the worst is yet to come. thank you all so much for listening to me.

cavwife
View Public Profile
Find all posts by cavwife

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2006, 10:26 AM   #2
(female)

cavwife HB User
Question Re: OIF wives sick?

Is There Anyone Out There That Has Developed These Lumps? Or Does Anyone Have Any Idea What These Could Be? I Just Can't Help But Think Something In The Anthrax Vaccine Caused This And Whatever It Was, He Was Able To Give It To Me. We Also Have 2 Children And I Don't Want To See Them Get Sick. I Just Want To Know What This Could Be.

Please Give Me Any Advice You Can. Thank You

Old 11-25-2006, 03:47 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

cher1052 HB User
Re: OIF wives sick?

Cavwife-Hi! I don't have a spouse in the services-but read your thread-have you gone to your Dr? Are you living on a base? If you are could you go to a MD on the base? Ask ?? Go to a local Vetrans Hospital and see if they can help you. Good Luck!! Cher

Old 11-28-2006, 04:15 PM   #4
(male)

willculaz HB User

Hey Cav, i am very interested in what you have to say about the infectious element that you seem to be experiening in your situation. I have been going through the same kind of thing in that my cfs,gulfwar, type symptoms begin to show up in ppl i spend any signifigant time with. It starts with a throat irritation that develops into a cough and then everything else from there. Kinda scary.

William

Old 12-01-2006, 05:21 AM   #5
(female)

cavwife HB User

willculaz
thank you so much for your reply. i know what my husband and i are experiencing is nothing compared to what alot of veterans are going through. but i agree, it is very scary. it's funny you mentioned the throat irritation. i have had that problem for a month now and can't seem to get it to go away no matter what i take. my husband doesn't have alot of problems he is just experiencing the lump on his wrist, E.D, night sweats, short term memory loss, and he is tired all the time.

myself, i have the lump on my wrist, have had a miscarraige, throat irritation, memory loss, fatigue and occasional blurred vision. my husband doesn't know all the things i'm experiencing. he feels terrible because since i developed the lump, he is determined he has given me something.

did you recieve the anthrax shot? i have a strange feeling this it what has done this to us.

cher1052
thank you for your reply as well. i have been to a free clinic in our area because we do not have medical insurance. i just went for the lump. they told me it looked like a ganglion cyst but all they did was look at it. and since we have no insurance, i can't go and have it removed to be checked.my husband was in the national guard so no, we don't live near a base. and since my husband was in the national guard we have been told that he only gets medical care through the VA for 2 years after returning for iraq. it has already been a year and i can't get him to go to the DR because his symptoms don't bother him much. and unfortunatly for us wives, the military can get our husbands sick and apparently they can give it to us but we can't help from the government for our illness.

i just hope this isn't contagious in any other way. we have 2 kids and i can't imagine having them get sick from this.

Old 12-01-2006, 06:10 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

OK.

It sounds from your first post that you have a bunch of symptoms here which are unrelated.

I received the entire series of seven Anthrax shots prior to deploying, and was present for the vaccination of our entire battalion. The most serious side effect that was encountered of these 600 people was an occasional case of cellulitis.

The lump in the wrist sounds like a ganglion cyst. I am NOT a doctor, and am not making a diagnosis. I'd get these checked out. Sometimes they just pop up from nowhere, and need no treatment. If they are symptomatic they can be removed.

The other issues... well the ED and night sweats could be related to some form of PTSD... is that a possiblity? Do you have access to mental health? After four deployments, I can personally tell you that every person deals with the things we see over there differently, and some just internalize everything. This can lead to similar symptoms to what your husband seems to be experiencing.

I don't know what to tell you about the miscarriages. I am so sorry for your loss. This may or may not be related to the stress of reunion with your husband. I couldn't tell you. I wish you all the best and hope that everything comes together for you soon.

God Bless.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:01 PM   #7
(male)

willculaz HB User

Cav, you mentioned you have the throat irritation. Can I ask you a few questions because this is peculiar. Do you find yourself clearing your throat often? Do you experience any swelling of the tongue, lips, or mouth in general? Are there any other oral abnormalities that youve noticed? Have you noticed any spots on your lips that seem strange? Pain behind the eyes, jaw pain? (frequent syndrome symptoms i know) I am just really curious about this...there is something to it. I have had 2 girlfriends now that have developed this 'syndrome' and its scaring the heck out of me.

Closed Thread