It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Military Health Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2003, 08:38 PM   #1

CAW HB User
Question Acid Reflux and Gulf War Syndrome

Help - My brother in law was in the Gulf War. His civilian doctors believe that his multitude of problems originated there. He has had unwxplained rashes, irritable bowel, sever chest pain, etc... Yesterday he was taken to the hospital for the umptenth time with the sever chest pains. They ran one test twice because thay didn't believe the results. In addition to the valve to his stomac being open all the time. He has absolutly no muscles working in his esophogus. They said the only way food is getting to his stomac is gravity. They also said that his esophogus is being eatten away and next are his internal organs and there really isn't anything they can do short of closing off his stomack and inserting a feeding tube, but basically its probably going to kill him. Anyone with information or experience please let me know. This sounds so much more drastic than the advertisments you see. Thanks CAW

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2003, 08:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LL29 HB User
Re: Acid Reflux and Gulf War Syndrome

I'm a GWV from 90-91 and I also had acid reflux but I don't attribute it to the gulf war.

A lot of the problems some of us have - would've happened anyway. My sister has acid reflux as well and it's mainly due to stress and poor eating habits which I had both. Now granted - stress could've come from the PGW - but we all have stress regardless.

It sounds like it's possible that he went too long without getting diagnosed on the acid reflux because that's exactly what can happen when you let it go - it destroys your esophogus.

I'm sure the doctors will do everything they can for him and I'm sure with today's technology he'll be fine.

Prayer always works for me as well.

McKinney

PS: My medical records are missing as well too - anyone that had a medical problem in the PGW - of course your records are missing. LOL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2003, 06:42 PM   #3

FarmGirl30 HB User

That sounds AWFUL what your brother is going through. But, it also sounds like late-stage Lyme Disease, which I also have. If its not too late, please tell his doctors to test him for it, even do a spinal tap to examine his spinal fluid since the test could come up false negative. This might sounds out there, the idea of Lyme, but Ive heard similar stories where the person was in a similar condition and wrongly diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) and low and behold, it was Lyme. Lyme can do very, very bad things to a person if it goes untreatd for a long time. With me, I could go on and on telling u what its done but this is about your brother now, not me.

Peace,

FarmGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAW
Help - My brother in law was in the Gulf War. His civilian doctors believe that his multitude of problems originated there. He has had unwxplained rashes, irritable bowel, sever chest pain, etc... Yesterday he was taken to the hospital for the umptenth time with the sever chest pains. They ran one test twice because thay didn't believe the results. In addition to the valve to his stomac being open all the time. He has absolutly no muscles working in his esophogus. They said the only way food is getting to his stomac is gravity. They also said that his esophogus is being eatten away and next are his internal organs and there really isn't anything they can do short of closing off his stomack and inserting a feeding tube, but basically its probably going to kill him. Anyone with information or experience please let me know. This sounds so much more drastic than the advertisments you see. Thanks CAW

------------------

Old 12-28-2003, 06:47 AM   #4

non-vet w/ GWS HB User

Caw:

I had this symptom, among many others, resulting from a change in body chemistry. Through hair analysis I found toxic levels of many metals and resulting calcium, magnesium, lithium, and zinc deficiencies. Needless to say, I was stunned! While the doctors do not put much weight in the hair toxicology results, the symptoms caused by the presence of these metals were, in fact, consistent with GWS! If nothing else helps, try submitting a sample as directed below:

[removed]

Last edited by moderator2; 12-28-2003 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the board guidelines and posting policy. Thank you.

Old 12-31-2003, 07:42 PM   #5
Inactive

Mother_Margaret HB User

So sorry to hear this.

If he is affected by the gulf war syndrome symptoms, he will have several other things going on at the same time. And it really is true: gulf war syndrome identifies to most people the harm that happened to our troops then (& now too)

Surf the net for more of what the symptoms are for Gulf War Sydnrome. Does he think his has the multiple, various symptoms that accompany?

Margaret [email removed]

I had a relative - not a gulf war soldier - who had a snowmachine accident and crunched something. Anyway, his esophagus motion didn't work. All eaten food was like a hard lump going nowhere. He had an operation, things seem some better; but it was a very serious operation.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-31-2003 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the board guidelines and posting policy. Thank you.

Closed Thread