It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Military Health Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2003, 03:53 PM   #1

millerm0 HB User
Post Gulf War Vet- pulmonary embolism 9 years later and daughter w/ heart defect

...this is a shot in the dark for answers...not sympathy.

Anyone out there vets with pulmonary embolism or blood clotting abnormalities?

Even more important...anyone a parent to a child with severe heart defects- surviving or otherwise?

I'm willing to start a forum exchange.

Survivor

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 10-09-2003).]

Old 10-09-2003, 04:52 AM   #2
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
I just read on the internet within the last couple of days blood clot disorders with Gulf Vets. You might want to do a search on this. It talked about David Bloom and that it is believed that it is either the Anthrax or the Smallpox vaccine or even both combined that led to his death. I was in the reserves up until a few years ago, and I refused to take the Anthrax shot because I was very weary of what could happen. I became even more skeptical when I read the package insert that showed there were no studies on it to ensure that it was safe, or what the long term effects would be. Then I had a lightbulb moment, we were to be the study. I decided NO WAY was I going to take that poison.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2004, 02:59 PM   #3
Inactive

mydestiny HB User
Re: Gulf War Vet- pulmonary embolism 9 years later and daughter w/ heart defect

I realize this is a very old thread but my first time on this part of the board. I went on active duty in early 94. I watched many people who returned from the Gulf get medically discharged for different things. I never followed the GWS because its was to mentally exhausting and people were still fighting to be recognised. My mom followed it more and worried about all the equipment, friends, and even uniforms that were worn there...that I could have been exposed to stuff that came home from there. Sorry for that ramble, I wanted to comment on the heart problems.

One that I remember clearly-he was not discharged but he had a 1yr old daughter at the time that had some pretty serious heart problems. I remember him telling me that they concieved before they were supposed to be in the "clear", I think they were told to wait a year but they didnt and didnt think it would be a problem. She had some heart problems without a doubt due to that. This person was in Kansas when all this happened in the 93/94 time frame.

Old 05-01-2004, 02:13 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Dear Maggie HB User
daughter with heart defect in another group

The woman who oversaw the Seward animal recovery of the Exxon Valdez oil spill cleanup said that at the end of the season they took in an orange furred, baby seal. It had all kinds of mouth ulcers and soon everyone that worked there did, too. (This is one sign of too much of a chemical exposure of some kind)

Her name is Robin and she shared that she thought she was OK and had a daughter who was born with a serious heart defect. The child has already had two operations and by the time she is 12 she will need a very serious heart surgery.

The chemicals for cleanup were in use at the time, and that means 2-butoxyethanol. It is listed as a teratogen. The gulf war vets were exposed to this chemical, but to date, this exposure (though it is a match for all symptoms) has been overlooked, and not studied.

Robin has the long list of symptoms, also loss of vision to 20% needing lazer surgery to save her eyesight at all, short term memory loss... and on and on. She has had her spleen and pancreas removed AND also has odd lumps and bumps around her neck and arms (this might be lymphomas starting up) Last I heard from her was about Oct, 2003. She has suffered a lot, and .... ?

Old 09-19-2004, 06:20 PM   #5

foundmyzen HB User
Re: Gulf War Vet- pulmonary embolism 9 years later and daughter w/ heart defect

I also had a massive pulmonary embolism about 3 years after receiving the anthrax vaccine while I was in the Navy. The Navy discharged me saying my problem was hereditary. I am not saying that the Navy's answer is right or wrong... but nobody else in my family has ever had a blood clot before, and I am the only one in my family who has ever had the anthrax vaccine. When I was being treated in the Mayo clinic, my doctor said I had some of the biggest blood clots he had ever seen. The VA agreed with the Navy and said my problem is not service connected.

Old 09-19-2004, 06:43 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Dear Maggie HB User
Anything helpful here?

Medical Surveillance for those exposed to 2-butoxyethanol:

Consider the points of attack (liver, kidneys, lymphoid system, skin, blood, eyes, respiratory system) in placement and periodic physical examinations.
[Sittig, M. Handbook of Toxic and Hazardous Chemicals and Carcinogens, 1985. 2nd ed. Park Ridge, NJ: Noyes Data Corporation, 1985. 155]**PEER REVIEWED**

2-Butoxyethanol causes acute hemolytic anemia in rats

In F344 male rats, 2-butoxyethanol causes severe acute hemolytic anemia resulting in significant increase in the concentration of free plasma hemoglobin. Secondary to the hemolytic effects, 2-butoxyethanol also caused hemoglobinuria as well as histopathologic changes in the liver and kidney.

*Notes to Physician: Administration of Sodium bicarbonate may be of value to treat acidosis. Monitor kidney and liver function and arterial blood gases closely.

Do you have the 'gulf war syndrome' symptoms? ... whether or not you served overseas or during 1990-1991 at all?

This chemical I suspect for the CFIDS, 'gulf war syndrome' symptoms & CFS which doesn't need as many symptoms for diagnosis.

If you and others with these ailments and this red blood cell fatigue can get an accurate diagnosis on the fatigue, you have just won a major victory! This needs to be added to the list of approved disabilities for military. The gulf war vets brought this to our attention, but it has been a killer chemical for many people over many decades to the present. It hurts to think we are even today poisoning our own troops with a common cleaning and degreaser chemical.

healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?p=1223136&posted=1#post12 23136

More on what this 2-butoxyethanol or ethylene glycol monobutyl ether does::

Human Toxicity Excerpts:

SYMPTOMATOLOGY: 1. Central nervous depression, although probably less prominent than with ethylene glycol. 2. No hypocalcemic tetany or metabolic acidosis with the possible exception of poisonings due to ethylene glycol monomethyl ether. 3. Nausea, vomiting, and sometimes diarrhea. 4. Prominent headache. Later abdominal and lumbar pain and costovertebral angle tenderness. 5. Transient polyuria & then oliguria, progressing to anuria. 6. Acute renal failure ... 7. Less critical pathological lesions may appear in brain, lung, liver, meninges and heart. 8. Observations in animals suggest the remote possibility of pulmonary edema, intravascular hemolysis & bone marrow depression, at least with some ether derivatives of ethylene and diethylene glycols. ... /Ethylene glycol (Group B compounds)/
[Gosselin, R.E., R.P. Smith, H.C. Hodge. Clinical Toxicology of Commercial Products. 5th ed. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins, 1984.,p. II-176]**PEER REVIEWED**

EXPOSURE ... TO HIGH CONCN ... OF ... VAPORS, PROBABLY IN RANGE OF 300-600 PPM FOR SEVERAL HR WOULD BE EXPECTED TO CAUSE RESP & EYE IRRITATION ... /CNS DEPRESSION/, & DAMAGE TO KIDNEY & LIVER.
[Clayton, G. D. and F. E. Clayton (eds.). Patty's Industrial Hygiene and Toxicology: Volume 2A, 2B, 2C: Toxicology. 3rd ed. New York: John Wiley Sons, 1981-1982. 3933]**PEER REVIEWED**

FIRST SIGN OF ORGANIC ABNORMALITY ... RESULTING FROM EXCESSIVE EXPOSURE BY ANY ROUTE LIKELY WOULD BE ABNORMAL BLOOD PICTURE CHARACTERIZED BY ERYTHROPENIA, RETICULOCYTOSIS, GRANULOCYTOSIS, & LEUCOCYTOSIS. SOMEWHAT MORE INTENSE EXPOSURE WOULD BE LIKELY TO CAUSE FRAGILITY OF ERYTHROCYTES & HEMATURIA.
[Clayton, G. D. and F. E. Clayton (eds.). Patty's Industrial Hygiene and Toxicology: Volume 2A, 2B, 2C: Toxicology. 3rd ed. New York: John Wiley Sons, 1981-1982. 3933]**PEER REVIEWED**

BONE MARROW DAMAGE. /FROM TABLE/
[Dreisbach, R.H. Handbook of Poisoning. 12th ed. Norwalk, CT: Appleton and Lange, 1987. 176]**PEER REVIEWED**

What can be done these many years later to find its harm? Check for autoimmune hemolytic anemia and do counts manually (WBCs, liver will be inaccurate reading, maybe red blood cells, too) Are the red blood cells mostly immature? Is there blood in your urine? ... or many years later, do your bones hurt? What is the peripheral blood smear show?

Old 09-20-2004, 09:17 AM   #7

Ron(SD) HB User
Thumbs up Re: Gulf War Vet- pulmonary embolism 9 years later and daughter w/ heart defect

Look up web site The Power Hour. They have a daily radio program and have loots of info on GW Syndrom and assist vets with treatment options. She is the AF or Army RN that exsposed this disease to congress. Lots of good help and advice. Ron

Old 09-20-2004, 10:07 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Dear Maggie HB User
Yes, I spoke to her once

... like most of those who have explored this for multiple years, she has her own 'take' on what is the cause, and is not open-minded to any new theories

My theory makes the most sense, and of all the exposures gulf war vets have had ... it is the one chemical that causes all the symptoms and which HAS NOT been studied.

They are overlooking something important. And if the fatigue for all is autoimmune hemolytic anemia ... and they have the assortment of odd symtoms ... consider this chemical

But because the bloodwork looks OK, NO ONE is looking in this direction

Are there traces of blood in urine, in earlier years especially?

Are the red blood cells immature?

Are the immune things attaching to the membranes of the red blood cells?

Closed Thread