It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Military Health Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2003, 09:27 PM   #1
(male)

jonee0 HB User
Post DU gulf syndrome?

Has anyone ever heard anything about the use of depleted uranium & gulf war syndrome?

Old 10-16-2003, 08:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hoop HB UserHoop HB User
There have been discussions in the past about the relationship between DU and GWS. I will tell you this about that. There is no question that GWS exists. The question remains, what is the true cause of GWS.

I have personally worked with DU OFF an ON for over 10 years. I know many individuals that have worked with DU for twice as long as I have and the have done it on a regular basis. I know individuals that prepare the DU projectiles. I know individuals in explosive ordinace desposal that spent time recovering spent DU rods. In all this time, I have never heard of any of these individuals experiencing any symptoms of GWS at all, PERIOD!. That is just a fact, even though I personally wish they would ban the use of DU.

DU by its very nature is a very heavy element. That is the basis of what makes it so effective as a penetrating round/rod. It goes through armored steel with very little resistance. Upon impact there is some vaporization but it settles down very quickly due to its heavy nature. I have seen test reports on how far DU spreads around the impact area and it isn't very extensive. You can handle DU with your bare hands all day long without any problems. Although, the smart individual will wear gloves and always wash their hands prior to eating or even taking a leak. DU is a problem if ingested as fine particles. However, what they don't tell you is that if spent DU is left exposed to the elements, it will oxidize and cake over into a fine white powder which has more potential to become air-born. In my opinion, during the Gulf War, the spent DU rods were not left exposed to the elements long enough to be a contributing factor towards GWS to the extent that some people claim it to be. The real problem with DU ten years later in Iraq, is that it litters the country side all over the place and it is showing its ugliness on the Iraqi civilian population in the form of cancer and birth defects.

Depleted Uranium is some serious nasty stuff but I really doubt it to be the main cause of GWS.

Hoop

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2004, 08:53 AM   #3

drodgers48 HB User
Re: DU gulf syndrome?

How about DU and emphysema. Husband has emphysema and is a veteran of vietanm and gulf war

Old 05-24-2005, 10:30 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

ArcticTraveler HB User
Re: DU gulf syndrome?

Questions.......

1. Are Depleted Uranium shells harmful in their unexploded state? (Such as just stored unused missiles in their crates?)

2. If members of one's unit entered burnt out destroyed Iraqi tanks, or climbed on other destroyed Iraqi war machinery, did they pose a risk to the rest of the unit by bringing contaminants back to the others? (In other words, if a tank was hit with a DU shell, is the contamination strong enough to be picked up by somebody who simply enters the tank, and is the contamination strong enough that they themselves become "radioactive" passing it on to others?)

Closed Thread