It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Military Health Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2008, 08:45 AM   #1
(male)

davy860 HB User
Angry I am a desert storm vet

I am a desert storm vet.37 years old. Had an acoustic neuroma tumor removed @ 3 years ago. (That's a tumor on your hearing nerve in which they have to do a craineyotomy (sp?) to remove it because the tumor was the size of a golf ball)I contacted the gov. when I first came home from DS with a rash on my sides,they said I had POST TRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER and was dismissed with no intitlement to any benefits at this time.I received two different letters from the gov. stating that they now suspect that I could have been exposed to a chemical called sarin gas,as it was accidentally blown up at a chemical depot of IRAQ'S by our military forces.The gov. says that they don't beleive I have enough evidence to prove the tumor was caused by basically anything in DS.Now they also say that I don't have the PTSD , that they miss diagnosed then and I could have a mood disorder.....there still trying to decide on that for about three months now.Before all this I was very athletic,hardly ever sick and in very good shape.I wonder too how many other vets have had similar tumors?I'm am very sorry for your loss......

Old 01-16-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
(male)

specialdelivery HB User
Re: I am a desert storm vet

Davy:

See my posts.......

SD

P.S. Godspeed!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2008, 01:45 AM   #3
(female)

Lockep HB User

UNVBELIEVABLE......you put your life on the line for your country and then am treated like this..........
You are in my prayers! Please hang in there...trust God!
Patricia

Old 02-09-2008, 05:15 AM   #4
(female)

ladyt24 HB User
Lightbulb Re: I am a desert storm vet

I am a veteran of the current Iraq war. I am very sorry that you have had this experience. However, I would like to offer a few suggestions that might help. I know that it is difficult for a lot of veterans to obtain benefits from the government because my job is to help military and veterans. Although, keep in mind I don't know everything about your situation so I am only writing based on what I saw you post.
To start with I have a few questions for you. When you filed your claim with the VA did you file it with the assistance of a veteran service officer for example a VFW or American Legion Rep? If not, I would highly suggest talking to one soon about your experience. They may be able to offer suggestions and assistance with filing your claim it is what they do all day long and they are usually very knowledgeable about works and doesn't work in getting claims through the VA. Also, it seems that because this problem started after you left the military that it may be more difficult to prove service connection in your case because that is what the VA uses to grant disability ratings. However, in your case the government has acknowledged that you were exposed to sarin gas. Another option you should consider is seeking the assistance of an attorney. There are many attorneys that offer pro-bono assistance to vets in filing claims with the VA. I hope this helps. Good luck with your claim. I wouldn't give up in fighting for your benefits. I'd look at it as part of the process of serving in the military and being a vet. I know it sucks, but it's the world we live in.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
(male)

MESSEDUPVET HB User

Dear DS Vet: I, Too, am a DS vet. I served with 1st ID. I have been throwing up every day since may 1991. I received the same letters from D.O.D. I currently receive disability from VA. It took a letter to my congressman to get the ball rolling with the wonderful VA. I am also a member of The American Legion, who represented my case to the VA. I recently turned 40, but I feel like I'm 85. Every bone in my body pops when I move. I don't know if there will ever be any answers, since it has almost been 20 years! I would suggest Joining at least 2 Service Organizations (American Legion, VFW, etc.) and firing off a letter to your congressperson. Hope you get better

Closed Thread