It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Military Health Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2008, 11:24 AM   #1
(male)

DakotaBoy HB User
Gulf War children

Is there any connections.
My 16 year old son has ADHD. Been having trouble in school since day one. Any connection with GWS?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

JewelryJulie HB User
Re: Gulf War children

I don't know the answer to this, but I have a boy 14 with ADHD and I was exposed to toxins during his pregnancy, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a connection.
Best, Julie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2009, 01:42 AM   #3
(female)

mconnie71 HB User

I have a 16 yr old daughter who has been having problems in school. The worst subjects have always been science & math for some odd reason. SHe has been tutored, homeschooled, etc. She also have 2 rare disorders & other ailments. Both the bio father & I were in the gulf war. I have all the symptoms.

My 2nd child is very hyper child & does have 24/7 tantrums & lots of uncontrollable ????? Not ADHD, the doctor said, just a very hyper child that needs alot of guidance & counseling... we were told that like when she was before 2 yrs old. My husband does not like western medicine much.. and was waiting for those 4 letter word cause he went through it when he was young.. She will be 6 in 2 weeks & is very hard to control most of thetime. Itis hard to take her out in public when she gets her tantrums, and extended family do not want to babysit her, or have her come over without one of us around. It gets me sad sometimes for her.

I pray for my children to get over their pains & sufferring.... and for the ones I give them when "my tantrums" start up...

I hope y'all will find your answers to your ADHD questions. GOD BLESS!

Old 09-28-2009, 04:32 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Hello,

I think I might have some experience that may help you...I hope you don't mind me asking you a few questions?

When did you and husband serve, and for how long were you each deployed?

What were the ages of your children whe you were serving?

Who did the children stay with?

I wish you the best...

Old 09-29-2009, 01:36 PM   #5
(female)

mconnie71 HB User

I was there from dec 90 to aug 91. my first husband was there i do not know how long, i forgot, but he was there for a while also esp during the ground war. he was 5 klicks from the front line. he captured some enemies also. when i was with him, i was experiencing a lot of hives/rashes, severe coughs, i was also coughng up mucus & stuff, & my childhood asthma flared up. my physical pains started in 91 & got worst when we got together.

i got pregnant in 92 with him & i had hives/rashes all over the places. the military dr. said that it was natural during pregnancy. my daughter has familial mediterranean fever, alopecia, eczema, major migraines, chronic pain syndrome, slight scoleosis, poor concentration, her math & science skills are very bad for some odd reason, poor auto immune system...

my 2nd marriage, i was relactant to have another child cause i was afraid that my kids will have more problems.. but i got pregnant in 2003... then the iraq war started, i cleary remember my mind going off that night... then my stateofmindjust was not the sameanymore... the baby inside was very hyper. always kicking and punching. i had to change my ob/gyns 3-4 times cause i was so irritated with something there or i wanted to just punch out the nurse and rip her eyes out for no reason at all. it worried me so much why these feelings were inside me. i always wondered if it was my fault that my youngest is this way because of how i was when i was pregnant. that night when my mind blanked off and i went away somewhere... i remember that... but that's all i remember... staring out the car window...

i still blank out.. nt as often.. i had my driver license suspensed for that plus the tons of meds i was taking.. oxicotin & valium at the same does not mix well either!

sorry, i do tend to write a lot..

Old 01-11-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
(male)

atmar HB User

Dr Garth Brooks, retired (also Navy Seal) has published scientific articles that have stated an association between men with GWS, and then their wives developing chronic fatigue syndrome, and then their children developed autism disorders.
I do not know how valid this is, but it imay be worth doing a search on this.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:19 AM   #7
(male)

DakotaBoy HB User

Thank you, I will search this.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:24 AM   #8
(female)

Functionality HB User

So, it's been years but here I am again. My daughter is 23, she has gone through a gammit of issues and I blame most of them on GWS because it mirrors a lot of my issues. She started school with issues and finally got diagnosed ADD with depression. Then there is the OCD and ODD (oppositional defiant disorder), stomach and food allergy issues, fatigue and muscle pain. At one time we dealt with migraines, and ulcers. Now she has grown out of the worst of it although she still has undelying issues. There's the ADD but does well in school if she's allowed to do something else while the teacher lectures (like draw or something). It has always helped her concentrate and even in college she does this and gets straight As. Anxiety and anger are still there and of course the defiance although she manages it much better these days. She has periods when she's always "sick" without cause. On the bright side she gets much better with a lot of support, a lot of excercise and a good diet tailored to her needs. With children it is hard to get them to stick to a regimene but they do much better with a very structured and supportive surrounding. Something I was never good at because I was always dysfunctional too. Good luck, they usually turn out fine and yes to the math and science.

Closed Thread