It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Military Health Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 08:50 AM   #1
(male)

gman1322 HB User
Question USMC Gulf War Vets...

Any USMC vets here that were issued the pyridostigmine bromide pills and were given a horse pill by SNCO's that had no name? I distinctly remember taking two pills and the unknown one was not given to us to hold and take on our own. I never saw any markings on the bottles that the mystery pill was taken from and given to us to take.

During the 90's when going thru the VA for the Gulf War registry, I was told by some old doctor fella that there was NO other pill and that pyridostigmine bromide was safe and not the cause of my issues. Obviously he was wrong about pyridostigmine bromide pills and he obviously wasn't there for the taking of the mystery pills that I am curious about.

After about a week of violent side effects, stomach pains, explosive diarrhea, we started faking the swallowing part and spitting them out after the mandatory visual verification was done by SNCO's. Symptoms went away within a day or two. Then, finally, the mandatory pill taking was cancelled.

I am curious if any vets here remember the second pill and if they knew what it was. My current ailments are about to take be back down the Gulf War Syndrome path with the VA.

Thank you.

Gary B.
USMC 1986-1991

Old 04-30-2009, 06:33 AM   #2
(male)

tossthepickle HB User
Re: USMC Gulf War Vets...

I am no Marine but I was in the Army and sent to Kuwait during Operation Desert Thunder (98- 2000). We too were given a nameless pill when we were forced to recieve our "anthrax" vaccine..... I do not even recall what the pill looked like and I do't recall any side effects at the time. I would like to know if maybe the one pill they gave us was a derivative of the pills they gave you.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
(male)

Bezerka1 HB User

I served in 2nd MAR DIV in Desert Shield/Storm-0311. I remember what you are refering to. I believe what you are speaking of were first generation anthrax pills. From what I remember the PB pills were small white pills and what you're speaking of were large oval shaped tablets in a blister packs. It's been a long time so I could be mistaken.

ZR

Old 05-04-2009, 11:50 AM   #4
(male)

gman1322 HB User

Bezerka1;

This pill was given to us at the same time as the PB pill was.

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-04-2009 at 08:46 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 06-13-2009, 12:50 AM   #5
(female)

Gin9909 HB User

PB was issued as a nerve agent pretreatment to nearly all US troops, as well as 45,000 participants from the United Kingdom. Use of low doses (30 mg 3x daily) of PB, taken orally upon direction of unit commanders, confers significant protection to troops when used with the other post-attack treatment measures (atropine and 2-Pam chloride). ... http://www.pdhealth.mil/deployments/gulfwar/enviro_pb.asp

The symptoms you describe refer to the side effects of PB. I am guessing the other pill(s) you may have got is described as above. I included the website but I may be wrong. Btw, thank you so much for your service.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:44 PM   #6
(female)

mconnie71 HB User

I have to appologize to y'all, but it urks me to see & hear: "Use of low doses (30 mg 3x daily) of PB, taken orally upon direction of unit commanders".
Like it is a MUST HAVE STATEMENT to cover somebody's a#%. Not all Cdrs said that.

I was there. Took it. Have ALL the problems. So far, typing these are taking meover 20inutes cause it is so hard to concentrate & correect. The migraines are sooo bad. I feel bad for my family & I appologize to them everyday for my behavior.

The PB Pills, I can say are the small white ones for sure. I still have them on my property in tact. I do not know I many I took though. I memory is bad. I have very bad memory.

I had a double whammie. My Ex was also in the Gulf.. When I was with him, my symptomz were bad. My oldest got at least 2 very rare disorders since birth plus other medical issues. She also have symptoms like the GulfWar Symdrome like me.

I have gone to dif doctors civilian to VA since 1991, but now I do nnot care. IF anymore symptoms come, I just want to know if itisin my head orif it isreal. I do not want to find any cures anymore. I was 5150 the 2nd time. So, that messed up my life. My dreams.... I wanted to many things.. I wanted to join the Police Dept when I gotout, but all the pains & my joints couldn't function properly.... I aced my written & passed my test, but the first the went for me was the physicalpart.. then the mental part came... those 2 things played so much intomy life.. I wake with my hands all fisted up.. my toes curled.. Sometimes I am just awake all night.. 48 hrs.. or soo.. then seconds later... I am passed out.... SORRY... WROTE A NOVEL HERE....

Last edited by Administrator; 05-11-2010 at 01:16 AM.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:26 PM   #7
(male)

gemmsgt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1322 View Post
Any USMC vets here that were issued the pyridostigmine bromide pills and were given a horse pill by SNCO's that had no name? I distinctly remember taking two pills and the unknown one was not given to us to hold and take on our own. I never saw any markings on the bottles that the mystery pill was taken from and given to us to take.

During the 90's when going thru the VA for the Gulf War registry, I was told by some old doctor fella that there was NO other pill and that pyridostigmine bromide was safe and not the cause of my issues. Obviously he was wrong about pyridostigmine bromide pills and he obviously wasn't there for the taking of the mystery pills that I am curious about.

After about a week of violent side effects, stomach pains, explosive diarrhea, we started faking the swallowing part and spitting them out after the mandatory visual verification was done by SNCO's. Symptoms went away within a day or two. Then, finally, the mandatory pill taking was cancelled.

I am curious if any vets here remember the second pill and if they knew what it was. My current ailments are about to take be back down the Gulf War Syndrome path with the VA.

Thank you.

Gary B.
USMC 1986-1991

Gary,
I remember that other pill. We spit them also. They made us **** blood,angry, mean, and generally not nice with each other. The results of the PB is not good, but I can't find anyone about that other one... Some of my guys can barely remember being there now... I'm holding together but I'm hurting....VA seems like they want to help until you say PB or GWS. Wives don't seem to want to hear that stuff either.....
let me know
Chip
Sgt. USMC '85-92
Did they kill us? or are some of us taking too long to die?

Old 10-16-2009, 05:30 AM   #8
(male)

gman1322 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemmsgt View Post
Gary,
I remember that other pill. We spit them also. They made us **** blood,angry, mean, and generally not nice with each other. The results of the PB is not good, but I can't find anyone about that other one... Some of my guys can barely remember being there now... I'm holding together but I'm hurting....VA seems like they want to help until you say PB or GWS. Wives don't seem to want to hear that stuff either.....
let me know
Chip
Sgt. USMC '85-92
Did they kill us? or are some of us taking too long to die?
That's been my problem all along. When it was brought up at the VA back when they were running us thru the Gulf War registry, I was told by some old fart doctor that PB was safe and had been used for years and that there was NO other pill given. We had a bit of a spat when I asked when he was over there...I must have missed seeing him. Got all pissy because I was questioning his telling me I took no other pill.

The VA is better now, but still does not acknowledge any other pill. They are quick to send you all kind of info on GWS and come and get checked out but are quick to deny anything is related to that time period. Had one doctor try and tell me that some cracks in my spine (discs) were probably caused in jr. high because I played football for 1 year. I told him that was a relief because it didn't start hurting until after the 3 IED's I took in Iraq.

They must have to go to some training to make sure they try and relate all injuries to something outside of your military service. I fail to see how my back can start hurting almost 30 years later from some hits I might have taken playing football instead of the "getting hit by a freight-train" IED blasts in 2006!

Our fight continues...

Gary B.
USMC 1986-1991
NEARNG 2004-?

Last edited by gman1322; 10-16-2009 at 05:31 AM.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:52 PM   #9
(male)

firemen122 HB User

I took those pills over there also. I remember the no-name pill. The thing I remember most is the violent stomach pains and massive diarrhea. I have sufferred with stomach problems since 91. I finally registered with the va the other day. Going in for a physical and bloodwork next week.
I suffer from terrible memory loss it is crazy what I cannot remember.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:48 PM   #10
(male)

mortarman HB User

I am not a marine, but an old 11 charlie from bravo troop 1/2 ACR, we too had to take these pills, maybe they were malaria tablets. Just wondering.
Take care God Bless

Old 05-07-2010, 08:08 AM   #11
(male)

zfw HB User

I know exactly what thoes pills were because I found a bottle. They were Cipro 500XR <edited> But the drug company is covering it up.

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-07-2010 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Please do not post outside urls. Please read and follow posting rules.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:07 AM   #12
(male)

gman1322 HB User

Do you have any pics of said pills? Ours were unmarked and handed out by SNCO's. We never got to see a bottle that had writing on it. Plus they looked like huge vitamins, not tablets.

Last edited by gman1322; 05-08-2010 at 05:08 AM.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:57 PM   #13
(male)

jdoerr HB User

I took the second pill you are talking about. I recall the first one was called a NAP (Nerve Agent Pill) and I understood that the other was some sort of super antibiotic to ward off affects of any bio-weapon(s). I thought it was called Gamugoblin (sp?).

I was a Sergeant with 1st Recon and now suffer from Fibromyalgia and numerous lipomas (fatty tumors) among other things.

Semper Fi,
Jon

Old 09-01-2010, 12:46 AM   #14
(male)

zfw HB User

The Ciprofloxacin 500 mg were ordered to be taken twicw a day. The Marines were the only service that I know for sure were given these orders. We were ordered to start them before the air war, and the order to stop taking them was giver at 0645 Feb 28th 1991 by General Myatt 1st Marine div commander. We were forced to take Cipro 500mg twice a day for 40 plus days. so the Marines were given NAPP (nerve agent protection pills) or pyridiostigmine bromide to protect us from nerve agent, and We were ordered to take the Cipro to protect from anthrax. We were part of the human research trial conducted by the Bayer corporation in the creation of their new anthrax pills. At that time they had no idea of the side effects of flouroquinolones. Thats the class of medications that Cipro falls into. After the Gulf War the FDA and Bayer co. started releasing the list of side effects.You do need to know what was done to you so you will have to do your own research. Good luck to all of you and Semper Fi.

Last edited by moderator2; 09-01-2010 at 05:27 AM.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:56 AM   #15
(male)

zfw HB User

One more thing to add. The PB pills and Cipro have an adverse reaction to each other You can not find this anywhere but the government study that found this out. It listed GABA, CNS, PNS, and DNA repair as things that were effected by this adverse drug reaction. We were given both pills at the same time so a large number of us may hav been effected. I suffer from Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, IBS, and multiple other ailments. Good luck to all of you.

Closed Thread