It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Military Health Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2011, 05:29 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User
FT Ord Ca area

Hi I am looking for anyone who was living in this area in 1992-1995 time frame and had children. My daughter was born with some congenital birth defects and we had one family whose baby died within minutes of birth due to anacephaly(sp). I found out this was /is a Super Fund area which was contaminated with 2 chemicals in the drinking water,trichloroethane and carbon tetrahloride.
We are lucky, our daughter's brain defect could have caused her to be blind and have some form of mental retardation but she just has slight vision problems and suffers from a headache everyday due to the spinal fluid in the enlarged ventricles in her brain.She also had to have a surgery to repair the UPJ obstruction she has and still has an enlarged left kidney. But she also has other health problems that are leaning towards carcoind tumors or a pheochromacytoma(adrenal tumor) , she has a lot of abnormal blood labs, and symptoms.
Thanks,
Army Wife and Mother of an Infantry Soldier soon to deploy for his 3rd time

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: FT Ord Ca area

I lived there from 1986 to 1992, however, my children were older. I understand the SuperFund clean up was for unexploded ordnance and not chemicals and such. In 1917 the fort was designated as a manuever and field artillery range. My father trained there prior to WWII. I'm sorry for your daughter's health issues, but I don't think Ft. Ord was the cause. I wish you well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

I have just been diagnosed with stage iv bc with mets to brain,liver and lymph as well. Odd or what? I was so sick the whole time we lived there as well as my daughter who was born there. Who knows?

Old 06-10-2011, 07:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

I am so sorry for your diagnosis. God knows you've been handed alot to deal with. Exactly where on Ft. Ord did you live? Perhaps it was a more localized contamination issue.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:12 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

We were living in the TLF s for a 3 month period, then we moved into the God awful Navy Post Graduate housing for 2 yrs . We were "lucky" in that we had a single family home due to my husband's Field Grade status but the day after we moved out the tore the place down!
We just went to Monterey this pasat Summer,the new housing is awesome. Shame it wasn't like that when we were there. We did enjoy our time there . I just have to wonder ......

Old 06-10-2011, 08:50 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh, you were at the Naval Post Graduate School. Exactly where was the housing? We were on Ft. Ord at the top of the hill.......Normandy Drive across from an elementary school and not too far from the golf course. It might all be torn down now. I haven't been back

Old 06-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

First we were in the TLFs at FT ORD for 3 months ,then the NPG school housing on Morrell Circle. I know someone warned me not to drink the water but I just thought it was just a scare tactic

Closed Thread