It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Military Health Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
(male)

varecoverybml HB User
can PTSD be the cause of Bipolar Disorder?

Hi there all,

I am looking for scholarly and supporting information directly linking that my PTSD trauma from the war in Iraq caused the onset of my recently diagnosed Bipolar disorder. If anyone can help and guide me through this I would greatly appreciate any and all information as I ma just starting my research. This is in fact helping support the rigerous VA Claims System tha tis set up to make it difficult for vets like myself recieve the disability rating we should receive and I am just irritated and upset that these folks in the Regional office are denial happy due to lack of supporting evidence. Thank you and I look forward to answering this question.

If I can be of any help on this process I have learned quite a lot through books and guidance here that I would be happy to share. Its disappointing that the method and reasoning for denying us these benefits are to make it so difficult that we are excpected to allow our disibilities to make this an effortless ability to be denied. We are fighting the same people we fought for. Its is heart breaking! I could really use some help. I will share all knowledge and resources with my fellow soldiers in rehabilitative services offered to us at the VA hospital to make them successful in getting the assistance they have fough and sacrificed so selflessly for.

We appreciate all the help!

Sincerely,
Another lost soldier....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
(female)

Cliftonbabe12 HB User
Re: can PTSD be the cause of Bipolar Disorder?

I understand your situation 100%. My father served in the Gulf War and is having the same problems. But PTSD is caused by your traumatic situation over seas...and the bipolar has always been there, it is hereditary. But being that you have PTSD it can set off your bipolar, and along with bipolar and PTSD you will notice you now may have anxiety, sleep insomnia, and many other things...many vets have problems with coming home. (not your fault) there is a saying that is very true The men may come home, but there never truly home. Because there mind will always be over seas. Which will cause the bipolar to snap.

Last edited by Cliftonbabe12; 12-03-2012 at 08:04 PM. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to Cliftonbabe12 For This Useful Post:
varecoverybml (12-03-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
(female)

bearbait HB User

Have you worked with the rep at the local VFW? VFW chapters have a rep that is trained with working with the VA on disability claims and ratings. You don't have to be a member to use the service. The rep will have a wealth of knowledge that could help you.

The Following User Says Thank You to bearbait For This Useful Post:
varecoverybml (12-05-2012)
Old 02-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
(male)

iluv80smetal HB User

I can understand that 100% and the answer is YES! I quote from my VA files "Trauma has been known to be a precipitating factor in the development of BI Polar II Disorder." I am being treated at my local VA for PTSD and MDD, but not Bi Polar II Disorder which is my diagnosis per the Comp & Pen Examiner. Hope that helps. PTSD isn't the cause of Bi Polar II disorder. It is the traumatic event that is the cause of BPII. Blessings to you... good luck.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-01-2013 at 02:47 AM.

Reply Reply

Tags
bipolar disorder, claims, disability back pay, ptsd< bipolar