It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Miscarriage & Still Birth Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2005, 12:51 PM   #1
(female)

Downpillow HB User
Contractions during late miscarriage? (or premature birth?)

Hello all,
There is something that has been on my mind for many years, and I was wondering if any of you had any opinion:
I have been wondering whether I am a "misscarriage that happened to survive". I know that sounds strange. I was born 6 weeks pre-mature, and my mother did not have real contractions (they almost sent her home from the hospital).
I know that on this day my mother was in extreme emotional stress and had become convinced that I am full of cancerous tumors. A doctor said that it is possible that an emotional rejection (of the baby) by the mother can cause a miscarriage. Maybe that's what happened?
If anyone had a miscarriage late in pregnancy, did you have real contractions? or was it different? Can one tell the difference between premature birth and late miscarriage?
Somehow this is important for me to know...
Thanks!

Old 06-21-2005, 08:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User
Re: Contractions during late miscarriage? (or premature birth?)

The difference between a miscarriage, stillbirth and premature birth is the length of the pregnancy and condition of the baby. Prior to 20 weeks whether the baby is dead or alive it is a miscarriage (also called spontaneous abortion). After 20 weeks if the baby has died it is a stillbirth. Once the baby is viable (currently after the 24th week) until 34 weeks a live baby would be considered premature (this varies some doctors say until 38 weeks).

So the delivery of a 34 week live baby would be considered a premature birth. There is no way it could medically be considered a miscarriage at least not in today's terminology.

If your mom did not have real contractions then she may have had an incompetent cervix which causes painless (or sometimes with mild cramping) dilation.

Some women have contractions but don't realize it since they're not painful (my MIL woke up with one of her 11 babies pushing; never had much for contractions).

Some blessed women have interrupted nerve flow to the uterus and do not feel the contractions at all.

If a woman does not have an incompetent cervix she will have contractions; whether she has one or one thousand of them it is necessary to open the cervix and expel the baby.

I do not know if there is any scientific evidence proving whether or not extreme emotional/mental distress can cause miscarriage/stillbirth or preterm labor.

I can understand why this is important for you to know. I hope I've been able to explain things clearly enough. I'm not sure what you had hoped to hear but regardless of how you came into the world it's a blessing to know you did .

Love and Prayers, Kelly

P.S. I am a twin. We were born 8 weeks premature. I was told for 25 years that my brother was older than me (so that I would always have an older brother to look out for me). While at a restaurant one night with my mom and a friend I told my mom rather flippantly that I've always had a hard time believing my brother was the older twin because I've always felt like *I* was the older one. She looked me straight in the eye and said: "you are". It doesn't make a difference in the world who is older but knowing made a difference to me. I'm glad that I know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2005, 12:06 PM   #3
(female)

Downpillow HB User

Thanks for the reply! The story about your brother is weird - did they fake your birthdays?
I guess these terminology-definitions are useful for some things, but not in this case...
Well, I know that my mom did not suffer from some of the conditions that you mentioned - when my brother was born she had normal and painful contractions.
But I know she had another miscarriage (this time too early to live), also in the same mental state as when she was pregnant with me. Could be coincidence of course.

Old 06-22-2005, 03:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

I think I didn't make my story very clear . My brother and I are twins and we are only a couple of minutes apart in age. So we shared our b-day but I was told growing up that my brother was the oldest (the doctor recommended this) so that I would have a "big" brother to look out for me. At 25 I found out that I was actually born first.

I'm confused as to why you feel your mom may have miscarried you at 34 weeks. A miscarriage *always* results in a nonviable baby (a baby that did not or cannot survive outside the womb). A baby cannot survive a miscarriage...ever. If they survive then it is *not* a miscarriage.

I have personally had a late miscarriage at 17 weeks. The labor was much like regular labor except shorter and not as painful (didn't have to dilate to 10 and no pushing stage). A "late" miscarriage is a miscarriage between 12 and 20 weeks of pregnancy. After 20 weeks it's considered a stillbirth. So even delivering a dead baby at 34 weeks would not be considered a miscarriage but a stillbirth.

If you could explain in more detail why you feel it was a miscarriage your mom had maybe I would be able to understand better. I'm very unclear about it. I know very well what is considered a miscarriage and what is not (I've had 5 and have read on the subject extensively) maybe I'm missing some pieces to this puzzle?

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Old 07-07-2005, 05:26 PM   #5
(female)

tj022594 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASDGRMama
I think I didn't make my story very clear . My brother and I are twins and we are only a couple of minutes apart in age. So we shared our b-day but I was told growing up that my brother was the oldest (the doctor recommended this) so that I would have a "big" brother to look out for me. At 25 I found out that I was actually born first.

I'm confused as to why you feel your mom may have miscarried you at 34 weeks. A miscarriage *always* results in a nonviable baby (a baby that did not or cannot survive outside the womb). A baby cannot survive a miscarriage...ever. If they survive then it is *not* a miscarriage.

I have personally had a late miscarriage at 17 weeks. The labor was much like regular labor except shorter and not as painful (didn't have to dilate to 10 and no pushing stage). A "late" miscarriage is a miscarriage between 12 and 20 weeks of pregnancy. After 20 weeks it's considered a stillbirth. So even delivering a dead baby at 34 weeks would not be considered a miscarriage but a stillbirth.

If you could explain in more detail why you feel it was a miscarriage your mom had maybe I would be able to understand better. I'm very unclear about it. I know very well what is considered a miscarriage and what is not (I've had 5 and have read on the subject extensively) maybe I'm missing some pieces to this puzzle?

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Old 07-07-2005, 05:38 PM   #6
(female)

tj022594 HB User

Hi. I am new to this site. I am writing for the first time so I may make a mistake, I hope not. I was pregnant and at 7 weeks everything was fine. They said the heartbeat was there and my levels were rising. At 8 wks and 2 days, I went for my vaginal sono and they told me they could not find a heartbeat. Needless to say, I was devastated and in shock....naive..never thinking this could happen but it did. They told me I could have a D&C done or I could just wait for it to pass on my own which I opted to do. It took almost 2 months for it to expel itself from my body. When it did, I pretty much went into labor and had horrible contractions. My husband said that the doctor told me that some people do go through labor but I didnt remember hearing that. I must've been in a fog at the time. Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone has ever expelled it on their own, like me and did they also have contractions and pain..it was soo painful and now I am so afraid of getting pregnant because I don't want to go through that contraction pain again. I guess I am hoping to find someone to tell me that miscarriage contractions are MORE painful then delivering a normal baby..having a normal pregnancy. Does anyone know this? Please respond. Thanks!

Closed Thread