It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Miscarriage & Still Birth Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2005, 11:18 PM   #1
(female)

Clover09 HB User
Question Am I having a miscarriage? Lots of questions, long post...

I think I may have just experienced a very early miscarriage. I havn't visited my doctor (insurance.. college student; finishing up paperwork, so there is a hold on my health coverage right now). If anyone who's ever had or knows about a miscarriage could tell me if these symptoms sound right I would appreciate it. I've never been pregnant (to my knowledge), so I have no previous experience to compare this to.
Situation; Started taking birth control two months ago, doctor told me that symptoms such as breast tenderness and possible nausea were to be expected and normal. Well, this is the end of my second month, and a week and a half after my last period (first one on birth control) I started experiencing symptoms attributed to pregnancy... breasts really enlarged (from B to C/D), sensitive and sore (especially nipples), odd pulling sensation and knotty/crampy feeling in lower abdomen, solid bloating in lower abdomen (when I laid on my belly, I felt an obvious lump in my abdomen), tired, sensitivity to smells, irratability, frequent urination, constipation, and very thirsty. Occasionally I'd feel kind of sicky. But, since I only missed taking a few of my pills by an few hours, I figured I wasn't "really" pregnant and kept taking them. I figured maybe I had gas. Although I felt oddly "different". If I were pregnant, I'm thinking it would be from right after my last period, and I would be (have been) three weeks along. Or, since my last period was so irregularly short and light (which I contributed to the use of birth control), I could have been possibly further along (maybe five to six weeks). I've heard of implantation bleeding, but not sure how much is too much for that.
Well, this is the week of "inactive" pills, and those were started this past Sunday (today is Friday).
Last week I started spotting with a light brownish to light pinkish fluid that started on Tuesday and lasted till Friday. I also had mild cramps that felt like a fist in my abdomen. The next two days were fine, no cramping or spotting. Then, Monday, while at work, I started to have back pain. I went into the bathroom expecting to have started my period and there was a little brownish blood. After putting on a pad, I resumed my work duties. Suddenly, I began experiencing sharp almost rythemic dull yet stabbing pains that came and passed every ten to fifteen minutes and happened about 4 or five times, with each pain it made me nearly double over. Each pain lasted about two to five minutes. I felt an odd gushing sensation like I just bled alot or even possibly wet myself. I left work early since I could hardly stand, when I got home and pulled down my pants I found a clump of soft tissue that was light pinkish and about two to two and a half inches long and equally as wide, and several mm thick that was stuck to me. It looked like skin, only a bit more pink, and felt almost like the skin of a piece of uncooked chicken, only thicker. I picked it up, and there was not much blood in the pad, although there was a greyish brownish stain to it, and the (body) tissue had a deep reddish lump in one end that looked like it had tiny veins radiating out from it that kind of faded into the pink tissue that made up most of the glob. It was not a blood clot, it was actual body tissue. I kind of pressed and felt around it, and that one reddish end was the only place that felt like it had a semi-solid mass in it. I gushed blood again for a few moments, and now it seems like a regular period, only I keep having occasional back pains, and the bleeding isn't really heavy, although it keeps varying from light to medium and back again, which is not normal for me. I'm wondering if I'd have caught the "tissue" when I first expelled it, maybe there was more liquid to it
This tissue is the thing that makes me think I've had a miscarriage without ever knowing I was pregnant. I saved it and called the doctors office, where they told me that lab testing would be expensive (I'd have to pay out of pocket), so I took pictures and disposed of it. I'm thinking that the tissue was maybe too large for placenta/whatever the baby is in at this stage, but I don't really know much as I can't find any descriptions of what miscarriages/embryos look like (specifically) to compare this to. Will the doctor be able to tell me without the actual tissue sample if it were a miscarriage? Does this sound like a miscarriage? I'm worried about if it were (which seems to be the only possible thing to me at this point), why did it happen? Is it because I kept taking the birth control? I plan on talking to my doctor at an appointment in about two weeks when my insurance kicks back in. I guess my main question here is "Does this sound like a miscarriage?"
Also, suspecting pregnancy especially after the wierd spotting, I took a pregnancy test that came up negative the last day that I was spotting (two days before the "tissue"). Another question, if my body were rejecting the (possible) pregnancy at such an early stage, could it not produce the normal hormones that would trigger a positive pregnancy test? A friend of mine took four pregnancy tests that were negative, but she was two weeks late and went to the doctor where she was confirmed pregnant. She lost the baby at about two months.
Thank you to anyone who posts a response, I know this is long, but I'm kind of scared and sad and confused all at once. Any comments would be helpful, even if it's to address something other than one of my bazzilion questions. I havn't even told my b/f that this is what I'm seriously thinking, because he'd be really sad and worried about me, especially since he knows I don't have insurance at the moment. I told him I wondered about it, but not too seriously, I just don't want to needlessly worry him.

Last edited by Clover09; 09-03-2005 at 12:09 AM. Reason: oops

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2005, 01:43 PM   #2
(female)

CTH3989 HB User
Re: Am I having a miscarriage?

It may have been honey. The only way you will know for sure is if you can get to a doctor. Try planned parenthood. Maybe they can help. Also, you may be able to test and still get a positive. Try that. I hope that it wasn't a miscarriage. I've been there and I don't wish it upon anyone. Good luck. Email me at Lil_Angel3989@***.com if you would like to talk. Please don't be shy.

Chelci

Old 09-05-2005, 12:07 AM   #3
(female)

Clover09 HB User

Thank you for your responses. I couldn't clearly identify anything, but suspect that if it were a miscarriage, the fetus was probably where the dark reddish/purplish spot was inside the tissue I expelled. It would have only been about the 1/4 the size of a penny almost exactly (I could feel a lump that size in the dark spot within the tissue). Does it still sound like a possible miscarriage? I keep looking at the pictures trying to figure it out. I also wonder if (it were a miscarriage), I was so shocked by finding the tissue that I didn't even look to see if it were only blood I expelled immediatly following. So if there were a fetus seperate from the tissue, then I missed it.
I'm still bleeding, and the blood varies from reddish/pinkish to deep purplish/red, sometimes it's heavy, sometimes it's light. Been a few occasional times when it seems bright red. Generally it's slowing down it seems, but I also keep passing small pieces of tissue. Also, I've been sick this last week, mainly with sinus and allergies, but I've also been experiencing nausea and keep losing my appetite. I don't know if it's my nerves from being worried or something else. I can't wait to go to my doctor. Do you think that by either late this week or early next week a blood test will still be able to tell if I had any pregnancy hormones (left)? What else could cause such a large tissue to come out of me? (And not be bloody), it was just greyish/pinkish with a few darker greyish/brownish spots and then the really large blood/lump spot. If you have any ideas other than a miscarriage, I would like to know. I don't want to be a hypocondriach about this and have it be not a miscarriage. Normally my periods start with cramps and lasts five days, with it starting heavier and tapering off over the next few days. I'm still bleeding and it's been a week, not including the four to five days that I was spotting the week before. Its just not normal. I've been taking my temp for the past few days, my naturally low body temp (97.7) has been fluctuating between 97.0 and 99, but I don't know if it's because of the sinus/allergy or from the possible miscarriage. I read a few other posts where the response has been "yes, sounds like a miscarriage" and it sounds like what is happening. I broke down and sobbed, as it became more of a possibility and reality to me. I also told my boyfriend my suspicions and we both looked up different possibilities including endometriosis and thyroid problems as possible causes. Even side effects of the pill. Nothing matched. He's sad too, since, even though at the moment we aren't fully prepared for kids, we know that in the future, we do want them together (after we're married, preferably not until after we're both done with college). But even still, if I had been pregnant, even though it would have been scary for us, we would have been so happy because we know we want children together. It just makes me sad, because if I were pregnant at all I would have rather had the baby than to have nature take it away. It feels rediculous to be crying now when I don't know for positive that miscarriage is the case, but just the possibility, and the striking similarities in the stories I have read and my own; nothing else seems to fit. Thank you again for your posts. I would really like to hear more, it would really help.

Old 09-12-2005, 01:33 AM   #4
(female)

GodChaser HB User

you could maybe try a home pregnancy test.. my dr told me that the pregnancy homone can stay in ur body for up to a month after misscarrige so maybe that will give you an answer.. im sorry ur going thru this..

Old 09-15-2005, 11:31 AM   #5
(female)

Clover09 HB User

Thank you for all of your responses. I went to my Doctor on Monday and told her about my experience. She said it was unfortunate that I hadn't come in when it happened because a blood test is only accurate up to two weeks after a miscarriage ussually. I showed her the photo of the tissue. It was a miscarriage. I asked if she were sure, if it could have been anything else. She told me that there was nothing else that it could have been and that all of the symptoms I described were of a miscarriage, and the tissue photo confirmed it. She also informed me that I was probably over 4 weeks along, and that my last period (that was really light) was probably not a period at all, but implantation bleeding.
It makes me sad a little because if I am pregnant at any point, whether it is itended or not, I would like to have it. I really do want children in my near (next 5 years) future. At the same time I am relieved because I was on birth control for a reason, as I am a college student and would like to have a great job in order to support my children as best as I can when the time comes. Nature took it's course. My doctor told me not to worry about not being able to have children, and that the average woman has 3 to 5 miscarriages in her life, but ussually doesn't even know it. She did say that having a thyroid problem (I have slight hypothyroidism) can cause miscarriages though, and that when I am ready to try for children to make sure I moniter my thyroid.
On to how I became pregnant to begin with...
Clinic doctor told me I could have sex without using backup b/c the week after I started. Regular doctor informed me that it takes up to a month for hormone to take effect. Also, I was on ortho lo, which was too weak of a dosage for me (which explains why I bled for a week and a half the first week I was on it). After this month she is trying me on Yasmin.
Thank you all. I am sorry to hear that so many women have had miscarriages. I know it must be especially hard when you are intentionally trying to have a baby, I can't even imagine.

Old 09-15-2005, 04:36 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

JenRas05 HB User

hi,
i had something similar to what you went through, one day while i was taking a shower this peice of tissue about the size of 6 inches long and 3 inches wide came out of me, it was thick and like a chicken's skin too, i didn't look at it very closely though, i just threw it in the toilet thinking it were probably just the lining of my uterus from my period, except i never had anything like that before and now that i read your message about a miscarriage i'm wandering if i could of had one too, i also experienced pregnancy symptoms earlier like really sore breasts, nausea, and frequent urination, do u think i could of had a miscarriage like you, it sure sounded the same as your description. Please message me back.....Sincerely, Jenny

Old 09-15-2005, 05:46 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

JenRas05 HB User

Thank you for messaging me, i didn't even know i was pregnant except for the symptoms i got, i didn't get tested cause i got my period like normal before, do you think i should see my doctor and tell him about what happened with that possible fetus that came out of me, idk, i just have seen him so much with my stomach pain i don't want to bother him again, and i would have to do it in private cause well i don't want my parents to know, i'm 18 and they wouldn't like the fact that i'm sexually active. Please reply.......

Old 09-15-2005, 05:57 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

JenRas05 HB User

Thank you, i'll call the planned parenthood and explain what happened. i live in Willmar, Minnesota... Jenny

Old 09-16-2005, 10:33 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

JenRas05 HB User

well, i called the planned parenthood and talked to the physician's assistant there and told her of what happened and she said that because i had my normal periods and was on birth control that i probably wasen't pregnant at all and there probably was no way to know if that were a miscarriage......but i just don't understand then....what could it of been?....it sounded so much like what you described and that other lady, i don't know,,,,,i'm just crying now cause i don't really believe what she said and how does she now for sure to give me such a quick answer like that....could you possibly help me figure this out.....i'll give you all the info- i had my period July 27th through August 2nd, then i was not on any birth control until August 19th.......that's when imbetween i started noticing the pregnancy symptoms, this pain that i've been having in my lower abdomon too, i took a pregnancy test at the doctor's before i got the birth control that turned out negative (but it could of been too soon to tell) i put on my first patch Aug. 19th and took it off the third week which was Sept. 9th, then i started my latest period on Sept 10th and it just ended today, but a few days ago is when i had that tissue come out of me........do u think i could of got pregnant sometime imbetween August 2nd and the 19th, and then maybe because of the birth control lost the baby........i really want to figure this out...i won't have any peace of mind until i know for sure...maybe i should get a second opinion....like actually make a private appointment with a gynecologist and explain it more to them.........they might know more about that sort of thing...thank you for being there to talk to, please message me back as soon as possible! Jen

Old 09-16-2005, 11:25 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

WhiteLight HB User

Hiya Jen,
What you have explained does sound like foetal tissue. But its really difficult to say. I've had 3 miscarriages myself and mine were all different to each other.

You could do another pregnancy test and see what the result is. Theres a good chance the test will be negative though because the HCG (pregnancy hormone) will no longer be in your urine. But I would do a pregnancy test and see what that says.

Or, alternatively, you can go to your doctor (its confidential and noone will find out) and ask for a blood test that measures the amount of HCG in your blood. Providing the tissue you lose was around 1-2weeks ago, then you may still get a result but I'm not 100% sure.

I've no idea what else the tissue you lost could be. Let me know the result of your test.

Old 09-16-2005, 11:29 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

JenRas05 HB User

I've been reading more about miscariages online and now i'm starting to think maybe the PA was right and maybe it was just tissue from my uterus becuase with the birth control patch i was on, it made me prolong my next period for a few weeks so that could of been extra lining from the extra time off of my period, i'm not going to worry about it anymore.....if it was really a fetus it had to be god's will and i know that someday i will have a normal pregnancy......i'll just trust in god and and try to stay safe from this time on..i'm only going to have sex if it is with birth control and a condom....i really want to not get pregnant anyways till i'm married to my boyfriend Andrew....thanks a lot for all your help though! i really appreciate it!!
Sincerely,
Jennifer

Old 09-16-2005, 11:32 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

WhiteLight HB User

Your welcome Jen and I'm glad your ok now. Take care of yourself.

Old 09-18-2005, 08:06 AM   #13
(female)

Clover09 HB User

Jen, I hope all is well for you. I just want to say that the 'Clinic' I went to was planned parenthood. And they gave me the wrong info (about being able to have sex so soon after starting bc) and they were quite rude and didn't act interested when I called and asked them about having a possible miscarriage. They basically dismissed me and weren't concerned at all. When I went to my gyno, she was able to give me answers, even though it was about 1 1/2 weeks after this happened. If you havn't taken a pregnancy test, you should do so. My regular doctor (whom I saw the Friday before I went to my gyno) wouldn't prescribe me any allergy medicine because I might "still be pregnant" (in his words). I said, "well I've taken tests, and they've been negative, should I get a blood test?" He proceeded to tell me how some women have two uteruses, etc. and that they bleed throughout their pregnancy until the last months when the baby is too big and squishes the other uterus. Asked gyno, she assured me that I didn't have two uteruses, but she also wants me to wait until the end of the month to start my new bc because she "want(s) to make sure [I'm] not pregnant." I asked about a blood test, and she said she's pretty sure I passed everything, but that I should wait "just in case, to be sure". If you have one, and you can take yourself, you should go to a real gyno. Not that the ones at planned parenthood aren't real, but they see so many women it seems like they become immune and numb to people and don't really connect with them and level with them like they should. BUT, thats just my own experience. I have to say, I am 22 and no longer live at home, but I was scared to death to talk to my mom about having a miscarriage. I did, and I was relieved, my mom told me that she has had 2 miscarriages in the last 10 years, and that one miscarriage was of twins. She was more understanding than I thought she would be (she pays for my school, and is very adamant about me finishing before I have kids, so I thought she would yell at me about being irresponsible). I think she was happy that I trusted her enough to tell her. Good luck!

Old 09-19-2005, 04:01 PM   #14
(female)

alucky22 HB User

Hi there, I am soo sorry for you loss. I to recently had expierenced that more similar situation in July. To me it does sound like you did have a misscarriage. How are you doing now? Did you go to the DR.? YOu should go and get checked out to make sure you don't have to have a D@C done, to make sure everything is expelled from your body, if not you could die and get really sick. I wish you the best of luck. I too and trying to conceive again, it is hard. Only god knows why he took out bunddle of joy away from us, maybe it was derfomred or he knew something was wrong and he did not want us to deal with that. Take care best of luck!
Amy

Old 09-20-2005, 09:16 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

JenRas05 HB User

Hey,
Thanks for explaining all of that to me. You are right though in the respect that the lady that i talked to on the phone from planned parenthood seemed really cold and uncaring. I mean u think she could be a little bit more sympathetic and trying to understand than just shrug me off and say i probably didn't have a miscarriage. She evan said "evan if you did have a miscarriage, there's nothing more we can do." I found that to be a little mean!
I probably should go see a gynocologist about what happened , i mean it did happen last week so you think the pregnancy test could still come out positive? i shouldn't have gotten rid of the tissue now that i think about it though, it would of helped if i could of atleast took a picture of it and shown it to the doctor. Well maybe she'll still understand from me just explaining it.
That scares me that you said that you could possibly die if you still have some tissue left in you. I think ur all right though, it's better to go get it checked out than just to forget about it!

Closed Thread