It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Miscarriage & Still Birth Message Board

Does anyone have Rh- blood type?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2006, 01:48 PM   #1
pradasweets1983
(female)

pradasweets1983 HB User
Does anyone have Rh- blood type?

I actually wrote a thread in the pregnancy section a couple weeks ago, talking about my pregnancy. I was so happy because I had a miscarriage before when I didn't even know I was pregnant and on Birth control.

I am 22 married for over and year now and this pregnancy was planned. We only tried for two months and I was pregnant. I thought this was the one. I was so sure of it.

Not last night but the night before at dinner time I complained to my husband that I had some cramping going on and lower back pain...a few hours went by and I went pee and to my surprise I looked down and not expecting it I saw bright red blood. I ran into the living room to my husband who was on the phone and said what I found and instantly his face fell to the floor. My intuition told me that this wasn't good. I couldn't believe it. I sobbed uncontrolably. I was so happy for this baby. I even started a baby journal talking to him and we told people. We thought we were in the safe this time. Now I have to face everyone and feel the pain over and over again.

That night was that of heavy bleeding and cramping as well as crying everytime I saw the blood because it was my sweet baby I was flushing down the toilet. I feel so empty and sad now. My husband was so great and he has made it bearable. I don't know what I'd do without him. I still can't help but feel hollow inside. There is no longer a baby growing.

I remember noticing right after I saw that first blood that my breats weren't as sore. For weeks they were sensitive to even the touch of my shirt! Only in retrospect did I come to understand that loss of pregnancy symptoms is associated with an impending miscarriage.

My doctor called me today and said that my blood tests came back that I have Rh negative blood which is incompatiable with my baby's blood and that is most likely the reason I was having miscarriages. I went in and recieved the Rh-immune globulin (Rhogam) shot to kill off my babies fetal blood cells so my body does not produce antibodies to kill future babies.

Has anyone heard about this problem being associated with miscarriages?

Any info would help.

Thankyou, Jess

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2006, 02:56 PM   #2
ibelieve
Veteran
(female)

ibelieve HB User
Re: Does anyone have Rh- blood type?

Hi Prada,

I am so so sorry for your loss. I know you must be heartbroken. If there's anything we (the board girls) can do, let us know.

I had a friend who had multiple m/c (i.e. 7-8). Come to find out, she was Rh negative. For some reason, the doc thinks she had an early m/c (not too early, though, around 7-8 wks) without knowing. Apparently, she had created antibodies against future babies since she didn't get the Rhogam shot. They told her she had a 50/50 chance each pg of m/c. She could only carry the Rh- babies to term. Happily she eventually had 3 children, all Rh-.

Will be thinking of you. Hang in there.

-believe

Old 06-14-2006, 04:07 PM   #3
deadsy
(female)

deadsy HB User

Hi hun, I am sooo very sorry for your loss. I know exactly how you feel... my first pregnancy ended in almost the exact same way. We were so excited... everyone knew.. everything was perfect until I started spotting. I knew from that moment I was losing the baby... especially since my breast tenderness went away as well. So I just wanted to let you know you are not alone... it's such a painful thing that only time can heal.

I also wanted to mention that I am also RH- and my husband has positive blood. My dr. didn't seem to think my miscarriage was related to this, but said if I didn't get the rhogam shot it could cause more miscarriages. So I got the shot, and am now pregnant again. It's still early, but I think this one's a keeper. I also wonder if I possibly had an early miscarriage before I even knew I was pregnant, and built up the antibodies for the + blood... that would explain my body attacking the next one... but I guess I can never know. Either way, don't give up. My sister is RH- and she has three healthy children. as long as you got the Rhogam shot, I am sure your next pregnancy will be just fine. Hang in there dear... we are all here for you. ((HUGS)) take care

Linsey

Old 06-14-2006, 06:51 PM   #4
dazedandconfused1
Veteran
(female)

dazedandconfused1 HB User

im so sorry u lost your baby my mother has rh- she had six healthy children she had the rhogam shot also .

Old 06-14-2006, 11:37 PM   #5
glitterpink
(female)

glitterpink HB User

Hi Jess,

Sorry for your loss a m/c is a distressing time. I had an missed m/c on 26th May and am still finding it hard. The ladies on this message board have given me support and hope for the future.

I know, like the others have told you, that Rh- is successfully treatable with shots so try not to worry too much. Since the doctors have a reason for your m/c they will monitor you closely with your next Pg.

Take care

THINK PINK

Old 06-15-2006, 05:16 AM   #6
Purple Hugs
Inactive
(female)

Purple Hugs HB User

Sorry for your loss!

Hmmm now you've got me thinking...
I have a 7 year old and when pregnant found out i was Rhesus d.. but didnt know if I was neg or positive.
When i m/c and ended up in hospital for investigation due to pain etc, they tested and came back I am RH NEG.. so now you have me wondering if this caused my m/c.

I think i'll go for a chat with my GP and see what he says about the shot.. if there no reason not to have it then maybe i'm better to have it.

Fingers x'd you get a nother BFP soon.

Old 06-15-2006, 06:10 AM   #7
glitterpink
(female)

glitterpink HB User

Hi Purple Hugs,

Yeah you should really go and see your doctor about your blood group. I was attending one of the largest maternity hospitals in scotland and they were routinely testing for Rh- to try and prevent m/cs. I know they give you a shot if you are pregnant and after you have a baby to prevent your body building up the problem, but not sure about b4 being Pg. Pls get it checked out.

Lots of sticky bean dust to us all

THINK PINK

Old 06-15-2006, 10:24 AM   #8
pradasweets1983
(female)

pradasweets1983 HB User

Thank you for all your kind words.

I still feel so sad. Like a sadness I have never felt before. This one has been so hard.

Since I found out the news yesterday about my blood type...you might think I would feel better..but I don't. I actually feel worse because now I know it was not just bad luck that I miscarried. It was because my body killed the baby, destroyed him as he was trying to grow. He didn't have a chance.

What if I had known this sooner and received the shot then...after the last miscarriage. I didn't even go to the doctor then...not till way after because I was back at my home where my family lives in Boston..I live in washington state. My insurance was here...plus I had heard that women have miscarriages where nature takes it's course. And it did with mine. And so in the mean time my body was producing antibodies to attack the future baby.So when I went in for a routine check later on they didn't even think to do the Rh test. I should have gone in earlier. I should have.

I know what you guys will say...you can't beat your self up. Everyone says that..and I know they are just trying to help. But I can't help it. It's so weird because just a couple days ago I was in a completly different mind set. I was having a baby. Now it's just gone.

I know I will get pregenant again...we have no problem with that part....This is just hard. I don't want to get my hopes up only to have them taken away again.

Thank you again for all your kind words. I wish you all the best with your future babies.
-Jess

Old 06-15-2006, 11:27 AM   #9
deadsy
(female)

deadsy HB User

Purple Hugs, you need to go get your shot soon! After having a miscarriage, your baby's blood mixes with your own, and if baby was + your body may already be making antibodies against it. I highly suggest you see your Dr.... I am sooo shocked your doctor's never mentioned this to you! This was the first thing they checked for me when I started miscarrying. I had to get the Rhgam shot immediately.

Good luck ladies... again I am so sorry for all of your losses. I am just so surprised that you ladies who are RH- weren't told about the shot... it's unbelievable. I wish you all the best of luck in your future pregnancies!!

Linsey

Old 06-15-2006, 01:13 PM   #10
Purple Hugs
Inactive
(female)

Purple Hugs HB User

Will call him tomorrow. And if no joy i'll go back to mat unit I had scan etc at.

I was told of the RH neg when carrying my daughter but when she was born she wasn't a risk to me, so I wasn't given the shot.
But if Fionn was diff blood group then maybe that was the cause. And i'll need the shot for teh next... assuming there is a next!

those that have had the shot in the UK did you get it at your GP's or in hospital?

Thanks again for the advice.

Jess - Try not to blame yourself you weren't to know ((hugs)) you'd have protected your baby had you known. At least you know now hun.. and me for that matter too!
Fingers x'd you conceive soon and i'm sure the shot will work.

Old 06-15-2006, 02:23 PM   #11
hypatia
Veteran
(female)

hypatia HB Userhypatia HB User

I'm Rh neg and delivered two healthy boys way before the shots were available--had to have blood tests every week prior to delivery to insure the blood barrier hadn't been breeched. Then immediately upon delivery, they took the babies for testing to make sure their blood didn't have to be replaced by transfusion (it didn't).

You now have the best possible chance of healthy pregnancies in the future and I wish you the best.

Old 06-15-2006, 02:32 PM   #12
deadsy
(female)

deadsy HB User

Jane, just out of curiosity... do you know your hubby's blood type? If he is - too... that may be why your first daughter wasn't a risk to you. I don't know for sure, but if that's the case I don't think you need a rhogam shot. Best to ask the doctors. I live in the US so I don't know about who you should see... but over here they sent me to the hospital to get the shot. I am sure your doctor will point you in the right direction if you need one. Good luck to you! Let us know what they say!

Linsey

Old 06-15-2006, 05:03 PM   #13
pradasweets1983
(female)

pradasweets1983 HB User

Yeah my doctor called me with the blood test results yesterday and told me to come into the offie where he gave me it there.

I got it then..and when I conceive again when I am 28 weeks along they will give me it again and then 72 hours after birth..they will give it to me and the baby.

It's interesting because over the course of a day I have learned so much about the Rh blood type..I had never even heard about it before yesterday.

Thanks for all the kind words

I'm okay..I just get in these sad moods and I was in funk when I wrote that this morning. Probably the hormones still in my system. I will be okay though and I know I will go on to have healthy babies.

Thank girlies!

Old 06-15-2006, 06:43 PM   #14
delrae4753
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User

well i dont know about bering rh negeative being a reason for having miscarrages but i am i have o ng blood which is the rh negative and i have had 2 health pregnancies so i tend that whats being said about being rh neg being a factor for miscarrage i reallt dont believe that to be a cause

Old 06-15-2006, 11:11 PM   #15
glitterpink
(female)

glitterpink HB User

Purple Hugs,

Glad you are going to speak to your Dr and I hope he/she can sort this matter out quickly. The shot is usually given at mat unit (just cause thats where you are usually diagnosed) but I see no reason your GP nurse can't give it. Good luck ttc

THINK PINK

Closed Thread