It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Miscarriage & Still Birth Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2007, 03:39 PM   #1
(female)

danakscully64 HB User
Exclamation Possible Miscarriage?

I posted this already, but things have changed:

<<I've been on the Pill since April of 2005. I've switched a few times to different brands because of bad side effects. I've been on Ortho-Tri-Cyclen Lo for about 3 months now (was on it about a year ago, switched brands and then went back to OTC). Here's what happened:

I lost my pill on Saturday while at work (day 9 in the pack). I took the pill on Sunday and Monday. On Monday, while at work, I started my period. I've missed a pill or two before and this never happened. I've been on my period since Monday afternoon. >>

That was Monday, Feb 5th, and I'm STILL bleeding. This is day 11. The cramping for the first 5 days was pretty bad. I bled very heavy as well. On day 6, things calmed down a bit. Then on day 7th, the heavy bleeding started up again. I've been filling up 2-3 regular tampons a day for the last 4 days. The blood is brown and bright red with clots.

Is it possible I had a miscarriage? I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, but hoping to get some support and answers here first!

Any advice would be wonderful. Thank you!

UPDATE: I went to the doctor. He didn't even give me a chance to ask him any questions. He did a pap (very rough) . I was very disappointed with this visit. He blamed everything on the pill, even though he didn't ask me my other symptoms. I'm switching pills, so we'll see if that helps. I'll just have to wait a few weeks for my pap results. Grrr...

Last edited by danakscully64; 02-16-2007 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Update

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2007, 05:33 PM   #2
(female)

icare2 HB User
Re: Possible Miscarriage?

I am glad you went to the doctor! It is possible it could be the way you took your pill. Not taking them exactly right can totally screw things up. But, even taking them right, can give excess bleeding, bleeding in between periods, etc, if you are on the wrong pill. Sometimes just switching can make a difference. But, if you aren't convinced, maybe you could get a second opinion. Did your doctor run any labs to see if you could be mc? You could request having your hormone levels checked just to make sure. I would want to know if I was having a mc for sure or not. (I have had 2) Best of luck, sweetie, and I hope it's just from your pills.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:58 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Numb_one HB User

Hi danakscully64,

Glad to hear you went to see your doctor, but not too impressed either that he/she didn't give you the oportunity to ask questions! Isn't that why we pay to go & see them? Some Drs are so lousy.... i'd consider going to see another one darl, cos you deserve some answers if there are any. I tried to send this post on Friday before you even went to the DR, but my computer logged me out of the healthboards & wouldn't let me access the webpage again for some reason, so if any of it is irrelevant, just disregard it ok.

When i was pregnant & experienced spotting at 6 & 8 weeks, my Obstetrician told me that my brown blood was old blood that had just broken away from my uterus wall during implantation!!! 11 days seems like a long time to be bleeding heavily for so hopefully your doctor will be able to shed some light on the situation & give you some answers when you go & see him! Perhaps you have experienced an early miscarriage & that could be why some of the blood is brown, but there's still a huge chance that you haven't miscarried at all & that your period is just a little more heavy than usual I hope that that is the case!

I missed a pill every now & then when i was on the pill & never fell pregnant, but that's not to say that you weren't because everyone's different & these things can happen! Were you up to the red section in your pill packet? If you were, then the heavier bleeding could possibly have something to do with missing your pill on Saturday. Maybe it just threw your body out of whack a bit On the other hand if you weren't up to the red section, you could have missed a pill around last month & fallen pregnant shortly after (which would allow the baby enough time to implant) & then miscarried on Saturday when you got what you thought was your period! That would explain the cramps, brown & red blood and the clots. I hope i'm not scaring you here I'm just trying to cover all angles & give you as much help as possible.

The thing with early miscarriages is that most are totally missed (symptoms missed) & are just put down to a heavier period, so i have read that the statistics for this are actually quite high (around 50% of pregnancies end in a missed miscarriage), & most times we don't even realise that we were pregnant, hense the name missed miscarriage!

Just a note though, if you are worried that you have had a miscarriage, i would advise that you stop using tampons until you have been given the all clear from your doctor, incase of the risk of infection Your best bet would be to use sanitary pads for the time being until you are sure.

Best wishes & my thoughts are with you, Crystal

P.S - Let us know how you go with your appointment & remember that we are here to talk to. We have all experienced similar things.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:45 AM   #4
(female)

danakscully64 HB User

Thank you, Crystal, for the amazing reply! I read it right when you sent it, but wasn't able to reply back because I went back to school full time. The only reason I'm here now is because I'm stuck at home with strep throat.

I ended up bleeding for 19 days. I started a new brand/pack of pills and the bleeding stopped on day 6. 19 days seems to be a long time if it was a miscarriage. 19 days seems like a long time even with a messed up period. I haven't gotten my pap results yet, although I doubt it will tell me anything anyway.

In the back of my mind, I think I had a miscarriage, but then part of me says I didn't. I don't know what to believe. I just hope it doesn't happen again. Thank you again for the reply!

Old 02-28-2007, 06:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

athome1 HB User

I have a girlfriend who just went through the same symptoms as you. She ended up with fibriods and just had one removed last friday.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:54 AM   #6
(female)

danakscully64 HB User

I'm sorry to hear that. My sister had either the same thing or something similar a few months ago, only she was 4 months pregnant at the time! She almost lost the baby too.

Now, my other sister (who isnt pregnant) is experiencing the same thing that I did. She's been bleeding for almost 3 weeks. There is something weird going on...

Closed Thread