It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Miscarriage & Still Birth Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2007, 05:04 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

carisa HB User
Question about period after mis/D&C??

I had a miscarriage at 6 1/2 weeks, had a D&C about three weeks ago. Yesterday I started LIGHTLY spotting, I mean one tiny spot a day, don't even need a light day pad or anything. Anyways, I was wondering if this is normal? I don't know if it is my period trying to start or what?? It's very confusing. I'm also having very light cramping with it. Does this sound like my period is trying to kickstart or what? This was my first miscarriage, so this is all new to me. Thanks for any advice.

Carisa

Old 06-04-2007, 02:13 PM   #2
(female)

Babyforus HB User
Re: Question about period after mis/D&C??

Carisa,

I had a m/c back in November at 7 weeks (Had an US @ 9 weeks, baby was only measuring 7). I had a D&E done, and I bled (lightly) for 2 weeks (which Doc said I would do). Got my period about 2 weeks after that (so almost 28 days after the D&E). All was normal. Unfortunately, I think I'm having another (will find out tomorrow at my US).

So, from what you've said, you are 3 weeks removed from your D&C. Sounds like it could be your period starting. Do you normally start like that (very light, and minimal cramping?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2007, 02:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

carisa HB User

I usually start pretty light, but a lot more than I am now, and I have a lot more cramping usually too. I'm not sure what is going on. I also bled like you for about two weeks post D&C. So the timing would be almost right. I'm hoping it is my period, I don't want it to wait months before returning. I'd like to do another IVF in a few months. I also had a missed miscarriage. I went in for my 7 1/2 week ultrasound and my baby was measuring about a week behind. Went in one week later to check for progress and he was still measuring the same. It was terrible.

I'm sorry you are going through this again. I hope you are wrong. Hopefully your ultrasound will show proper growth. Good luck with that.

Carisa

Old 06-05-2007, 10:20 AM   #4
(female)

browneyed-babe HB User

I have read that you have to have no bleeding at all for at least 3 weeks before you can actually call it a period. When I m/c and had a d&c March 26 I was told I would bleed for a while after the procedure. I was told to expect my first period in 4-6 weeks.
I ended up only bleeding very lightly but then continued to spot for almost 5 weeks then I bled for another week lightly which I thought was my first cycle but not because then I had what I thought was period the week after that - heavy bleeding and clots and tons of cramping. I don't know if this was the first period or not because I had spotting up until this. This last 3-4 days then spotted for a couple days then nothing for 3.5 weeks then I started my first real period or 2nd? I guess this past Saturday.

I find my temps were still high throughout the first cycle and now with this one they just started to drop today - which may signify ovulation this month. I also found the blood was very bright red for both cycles - did you have this too? I have read that this is fresh blood - since the d&c removes all the old blood.

I am just as puzzled about my cycles as you are about yours. My body took a long time to adjust after the m/c and d&c. Everyone is different - I have heard of women getting pregnant the first month after too so it varies from woman to woman.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

carisa HB User

Well, the LITTLE bleeding I have had it has been a darker color. I'm thinking now that it is still leftover from the D&C. I haven't had anything today, and what I did have for two days was so light that I don't think it was anything other than leftover. Isn't it just so confusing? I can't wait to get back to normal. I'm kind of scared to have my first period because I have heard from a lot of people that it is usually pretty painful with lots of clots. Great, sounds fun. Thanks for answering my question. I guess we are all in the same boat.

Oh, and it was only about two weeks with no bleeding, so I'm sure it wasn't a period.....

Carisa

Last edited by carisa; 06-05-2007 at 03:20 PM.

Closed Thread