It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Miscarriage & Still Birth Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2007, 12:15 PM   #1
(female)

Promise777 HB User
Unhappy can you still be pregnant???

i have to ask this question because my sons girlfriend told him that she Miscarried one week, then went in for a D&C the next week, and then went to see a whole different Doctor the 3rd week because she was "feeling weird" and that Doctor told her that she had been pregnant with TWINS and Miscarried only 1 baby, and the Doctor who did the D&C took the other baby out! I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING! can this be true??? i have never Miscarried so i dont know the procedure, but i think that any Doctor that is about to do a D&C would tell you if you were still pregnant with another baby wouldnt they? or do you think she could be telling the truth? I HAVE TRULY NEVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING... Somebody Help Me Please.....!

Old 08-29-2007, 06:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User
Re: can you still be pregnant???

I am no expert but I think the chances that his girlfriend is telling the truth are slim. I have never had a D&C, but know people who have, and the doctors are required to check by ultra sound for a heart beat right before the procedure takes place, despite the circumstances. If there was a second baby who was still alive, a heartbeat would have been present. If it was still to early in the pregnancy to see a heartbeat (sometime before 6-7 weeks), I would think they would let her miscarry naturally. Furthermore, I'm not sure how a new doctor would be able to tell that there had been two babies at the time of the procedure and one was still alive. There would be just no way for him/her to know that unless the hospital who preformed the procedure stated that, in which case the procedure would not have been done.
Sorry her story makes no sense to me

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2007, 03:21 AM   #3
(female)

Promise777 HB User

Thanks Megss! thats EXACTLY how i feel about her 'story'... i dont see how ANY Doctor would not have known there was a second baby... i need to have a talk with my Son about this... i know he will not understand, but i have to tell him how i feel about it... maybe i can get her to show us some kind of Paperwork from the Hospital or Doctor to PROVE herself... ANYONE ELSE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS TYPE OF INCIDENCE??? Any Information Would Be Truly Appreciated...

Old 08-30-2007, 06:48 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

nellie46 HB User

I've had 2 mc's currently having one now and I don't believe this girl at all. They first do an ultrasound to see if the sak has anything in it anymore and they check for a heartbeat. If she was still pregnant with another they would have to tell her and I doubt they would do a D&C since there's no way to make sure and only get the dead baby. Hope this helps. I go in today for a D&C.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:01 AM   #5
(female)

browneyed-babe HB User

I don't know why you are so quick to be judging her a liar. It seems like you have other issues with her. This is really not your concern but his and his girlfriends. Miscarriage itself is very traumatic and she needs your support not your speculation.

I had a miscarriage at the end of March, I miscarried naturally then needed a d&c to remove remaining tissue. I had an u/s before the procedure which I thought was common practice. So, if they had done an u/s then they would have seen the second baby. If they did not do an u/s then it is possible as I have heard many stories of women having to return for a 2nd and even 3rd d&c to remove remaining tissue that the doctor did not remove properly. If the 2nd baby was attached high up in the u/s then this scenario would not shock me because she had already miscarried so the doctor would not be removing the baby only left over tissue. What does shock me is the incompetance of the first 2 doctors.

Although this scenario is definitely not a common one by any means I have heard of this before on another website and it was deemed a true miracle the second baby survived the procedure. I have also read about abortions being completed and totally missing the baby - really shows lack of competance on the doctor's part.

Your son's girlfriend should have an u/s and it will tell her how far along she is with this second baby. A heartbeat can be seen around 7 weeks.

I don't really see why someone would make something like that up - but I don't know your son's gf so I cannot comment on her personality. Your son has a right to know about his child so he can ask to see doctor's notes but I don't know what the privacy laws are like in the US but here in Canada they are pretty strict and she would have to consent to it.

If her story is true, I would be really ****** at the first 2 doctors. If her story is false it could be easy to disprove it.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cashahn HB User

My sister in law had a D&C but not long after found out she was pregnant, she would have been preggo when she had the D&C so it can happen, my nephew is 17yrs old this year.

Cashahan xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 08-31-2007, 03:29 AM   #7
(female)

Promise777 HB User

Thanks for all the Info! I had no idea that this could be real... that is WHY all the questions... my poor son is still questioning it and has asked to see all the paperwork from the 3 different Doctors... his girlfriend doesnt seem to have anything to show him, so i guess "We Shall See"... but thanks to all of you for your thoughts! Bless You All... and my Most Sincere Apologies if i Offended ANYONE...

Old 08-31-2007, 07:38 PM   #8
(female)

Promise777 HB User
The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promise777 View Post
Thanks for all the Info! I had no idea that this could be real... that is WHY all the questions... my poor son is still questioning it and has asked to see all the paperwork from the 3 different Doctors... his girlfriend doesnt seem to have anything to show him, so i guess "We Shall See"... but thanks to all of you for your thoughts! Bless You All... and my Most Sincere Apologies if i Offended ANYONE...

my son called me at work today and told me they had talked and she told him that she had lied about everything... she never really was pregnant at all... thats really a sad thing, but it happens... no one is perfect... im glad we know the truth now... thanks again everyone... sorry again for touching on this subject... my apologies

Old 09-26-2007, 03:25 AM   #9
(female)

Legsy03 HB User

I don't know much about D & Cs but I know a few people that have had them. One family friend who had one about 10 years ago, had it done straight away, within a day, of finding out she had miscarried. She was 16 weeks pregnant and as she only had a bit of spotting, she needed a D & C. She had an ultrasound before the procedure aswell. I would think that it would be too risky to miscarry and then have a D & C the next week, as this person claims. Unless the doctor thought it was safe for her do so, I thought this procedure would have to be done as soon as possible. Also, why would she go to a different doctor after having the D & C? Obviously the 'new' doctor wouldn't know her history and they surely wouldn't know if she was carrying twins. Maybe this woman was pregnant with twins and she miscarried both?? If it was early on in the pregnancy, wouldn't it be too hard to tell if she had been carrying twins? Unless she had a scan that showed 2 heartbeats. This story doesn't sound right to me. I agree with other posters, surely an ultrasound before the D & C would have shown 2 heartbeats, if there were twins. Then again, I have heard some scary stories about incompetent doctors so you never know.

Closed Thread