It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Miscarriage & Still Birth Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2008, 09:04 PM   #1
(female)

kmsdance HB User
Anyone experience passage of large pieces of tissue after "d and c"?

I found out at 12 weeks through ultrasound that my baby's heart stopped beating....sadly this was most likely due to my recent diagnosis of cetamegalovirus (cmv). I had a "d and c" on tuesday, and today, saturday, I was in such excruciating pain that I had to go to the emergency room. The doctor there did a pelvic exam and ultrasound and said it was because I had large amounts of blood and blood clots. I had been expelling these clots all day, some bigger than others. But, a few hours after I returned home from the ER, I passed a large piece of fleshy tissue...not the baby thank god....but a large "muscley" looking piece...that was clearly not a blood clot. It was about the size of the palm of my hand. It had a different texture, color, appearance, everything. Not to be gross, but it looked like a piece of steak or something! I didn't save it to be examined because it happened at a restaurant, and I ran to the bathroom. I called the nurse on call, and she said that it was "impossible" for a piece of tissue that large to be missed during a "d and c" and it was most likely a large blood clot...I KNOW that this is not the case. It was radically different looking. In my personal opinion, I think the tissue looked like placenta, and it was left in me after the "d and c" and it was prohibiting the blood from escaping for these 4 days....and that is why the blood pooled and clotted and collected. Just wondered if anyone else had any experience with this before! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
(female)

jukaam HB User
Re: Anyone experience passage of large pieces of tissue after "d and c"?

I haven't experienced but I too just had a DNC this week and they said that there is a possibility that they might not get everything during the procedure. So it's most likely that they didn't get everything and your body passed it. I would go back to the doctor and get an ultrasound to make sure that everything is ok. I also had complications after I had my first baby which I passed lots of large clots and eventually hemorrhaged. So I know the discomfort that you are going through.

Sorry for your loss,

Hope everything get better,

Old 02-20-2008, 10:24 AM   #3
(female)

browneyed-babe HB User

As for what u saw - could it have been the actual sac? Maybe he missed it doing the d&c and did not want to admit it. I have heard of some women getting 2 & 3 d&cs for one lost pregnancy. I remember when I passed my sac in the hospital - I was using a porta potty as per nurses instruction. When it came out I felt it and it made a thud and looking at it it was obviously not a blood clot. It had a different colour - kinda purply around one side and u could see the cord and fetus shape - in a kinda whitish shade - it was the sac no doubt. What u saw could be it or tissue pieces. When my miscarriage started - it happened at home on a Sat night - I passed tons of blood and clots - some which looked dark and thick and then the blood turned to bright red and clots continued til I went to the er on Sunday and passed the sac Sunday night - then the clots weren't as bad - I had to have a d&c due to retained products in the upper part of my uterus. After the d&c bleeding was light but prolonged for weeks until my first 2 periods which were intensely heavy with clots and even a few tiny pieces of what looked like rind. I think for u they missed lots of tissue and u may need a second d&c.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:07 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

JellyB_3 HB User

I also found out at my 12w that there was no heart beat. THis was almost 2 yrs ago. I had a DNC right away. I passed pieces of tissue during the next 3 periods. including, in the first month, a HUGE piece! I was so scared, I pulled it out of the toilet to look at it. It was definitely, tissuey and not a clot. I would always have light bleeding between my periods during this time, then when all the tissues was passed, it went back to normal.
I think it was just pieces that were scraped off but still just hanging out inside.

Sorry to be gross, but I Hope it helped!

Closed Thread