It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Miscarriage & Still Birth Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2008, 08:15 AM   #1
(female)

trujohnson HB User
Ectopic pregnancy after removal of iud mirena

Hi,
I had the Mirena IUD inseted about 2 1/2 years ago.
My husband I and were very cautious about getting any form of birth control because of the side effects. After doing intensive research we decided to get the Mirena IUD. We already had two children that were 15 months apart so, we wanted to wait a couple of years before our 3rd child.

To our suprise, after the removal of the IUD we became pregnant 3 months later. 2 days after we took the pregnancy test I noticed I was bleeding. I called my OBGYN and they immediately started taking test, come to fine out I was have an Ectopic Pregnancy.

We were devistated because we trusted the research that was done on the Mirena IUD. Nowhere did it ever state that after the removal of the IUD that it can cause an Ectopic Pregnancy. We have two other children that were antisipating another sibling.

If anyone experienced this, please let us know.

The Following User Says Thank You to trujohnson For This Useful Post:
amandadawn84 (07-11-2012)
Old 02-21-2008, 07:02 AM   #2
(female)

norag HB User
Re: Ectopic pregnancy after removal of iud mirena

Hi,

My sister is in hospital as I write this message having just been diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy after experiencing severe abdominal pain yesterday. She is around 6 weeks pregnant. Am not sure yet what treatment is planned for her and what long term effects it will have for her.

She had the Mirena fitted 4 years ago (prior to having any children) and had it removed last month so her & her husband could start their family. To everyone's great joy she fell pregnant straight away - she was ovulating when the Mirena was removed and her gynae actually joked with her about the possibility of conception happening that day. We attributed it to the good family genes... my gran had 7 children, my mum had three and I have two all trouble-free with no problems with either conception or pregnancy.

The ectopic pregnancy has been a shock to us all and in between phone calls I am trying to find out more about it and about pregnancy risks after removal of the Mirena.

I heard via the grapevine today that having had the Mirena does increase the risk of ectopic pregnancy after removal but can't seem to find much info on the net.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2008, 10:30 AM   #3
(female)

trujohnson HB User

Hi,
I'm sorry to hear about your sister.
I had the Mirena IUD taken out 3 months ago. We conceived about 4-6 weeks ago and was diagnosed with the Ectopic Pregnancy 1.5 weeks ago. I am taking medication now to stop the Ectopic Pregnancy.

Our main focus right now, is to spread the word of the risk of having an Ectopic Pregnancy after the removal of the Mirena IUD. Nowhere did we ever, ever read that this could even possibly happen.

Like every other company...example McDonald's didn't have Caution Hot on their coffee cups and were sued over that and the cigarette company not putting Caution can cause cancer....Mirena IUD should be mandated to put Can cause Ectopic Pregnancy after the removal of the IUD.

It is now my mission to stop this...We want more children, I'm not going to sit back and let them do this to anymore companies.
I hope everything turns out to be okay with your sister.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:36 AM   #4
(female)

norag HB User

Hi,

My sister started bleeding today and her blood levels are dropping so she is technically miscarrying only they still can't locate the pregnancy in utero.
They have picked up a shadow in the scans on her right ovary and suspect ectopic although it is difficult to confirm as she is only 6 weeks pregnant. Strange as her gynae check-up last month revealed there were no signs of cysts or any other problems within the ovaries or uterus.
She is back at home and will return to hospital on Monday for further scans & blood tests (or sooner if bleeding gets worse) to check on how things are 'progressing' with the expulsion of the pregnancy and to determine what further treatment is required to clear everything out her system.
She is absolutely devastated as you would know firsthand. This is her first pregnancy and she is very concerned about the effect all this will have on her ability to have children in the future.
It would appear that many problems are now surfacing linked to use of the Mirena (I have reviewed a few more sites), ectopic pregnancy after removal being just one of them, and I would not recommend its use to any women who are still considering having more children. The risks in this regard outweigh the benefits. I think that these risks should definitely be high-lighted by the supplier to women who are considering having one fitted.

I myself have had a Mirena for the past 18 months and as my husband and I are still considering having a third child (my youngest has just turned 2) I have booked a gynae appointment for early next month and am going to have it removed. Will swap back to the pill for a few months to re-establish my cycles. I didn't have any problems with the Mirena other than the initial discomfort and bleeding which lasted a month but am not going to take any chances.

I hope that both you and my sister are blessed with gorgeous healthy children after the ordeals you have been through.

Closed Thread