It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Miscarriage & Still Birth Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008, 08:30 AM   #1
(female)

triciapatter30 HB User
Rhogam shot

I am rh- and have had three miscarrages in the past year. The first was in Dec 2007. After the first two I requested the rhogam shot and it wasn't given to me. Could this be the reason I keep miscarraging?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2008, 12:24 PM   #2
(female)

suewaz HB User
Re: Rhogam shot

I am pregnant and I am also RH-. My understanding is that you must have the Rhogam shot after any time there is any bleeding, which I think would include a miscarriage. At about 13 weeks, I started bleeding, they called it a threatened miscarriage, and I was given a shot then. Thankfully, all turned out OK. I am not sure why your doctors would not give this to you if you are RH-....that is strange.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

You might want to get a blood test for the presence of Rh antibodies in your bloodstream.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:49 AM   #4
(female)

triciapatter30 HB User

Thanks, I am really afraid. All the dr. I have talked to say that it could not be caused by not taking the shot but the reading I've done says differently.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:44 PM   #5
(female)

brownie050606 HB User

Hey. I just wanted to say that I am going through my 2nd miscarriage and I am also RH-. My first miscarriage was in March 07 and I called the office to ask if I needed Rhogam and the nurse said no it was not necessary. My HCG levels dropped from 115 to 5 in 6 days and I was on the 38th day of my cycle. This time my HCG levels went from 86 then 40 then 77 then 78. The doctor on call told me I needed to get to the office right away for a Rhogam shot. I asked why since I was on the 38th day of my cycle again when I miscarried and he told me that if I didn't get the shot that it could cause antibodies that could affect my next pregnancy. When I saw my doctor today I asked her about it and she said they usually give it when you are around 7 weeks but I have heard from other doctors and on my Rhogam card I was given that you need it anytime the fetal blood could reach your blood. So if I experience this again, wish I pray none of us do.... I know next time to get the shot as soon as I see blood.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:38 PM   #6
(female)

triciapatter30 HB User

I am so sorry and I know the feeling. I have done alot of research on the rhogam shot and rh- factor since Monday and am now going to start seeing another ob-gyn. I will have to go throught testing to prove that I have built up antibodies. My current ob-gyn won't even see me anymore, which to me is stateing that he knows he was wrong. I have a long road ahead of me and I just hope that it includes a healthy pregnancy. I wish the same for all that has lost a baby.

Closed Thread