It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Miscarriage & Still Birth Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
(female)

Questionss HB User
What to expect??

Hello,

I was 6 weeks pregnant with my second child. I started bleeding yesterday and went to the doctor today and confirmed via transvaginal ultrasound that I am miscarrying. (There was no fetal pole, just a sac high in my uterus) She also gave me a rogam shot because of my blood type, and took my blood to test hcg. (I'm coming back Monday to get another test to see if the levels are going down)

She said that I should miscarry on my own. I would have opted for the D&C but she said I should be able to do this without it because of how far along I am.

I'm confused. After reading all these boards on how prolonged and painful miscarriages are, and dangerous. I'm very nervous. I have a full time job that I'm in the position where it's extremely difficult to get any time off without notice and I am scared I'll end up in the ER because of infection or hemmoraging....

I don't know, the whole thing is just extremely sad for me and my husband. We had been trying for 9 long months and when we finally got pregnant it was like a heavy blanket was lifted. I somehow knew things weren't right though, I never "felt" pregnant and I just had a feeling things weren't going well, even before I had major symptoms.

However, after crying all day we are now trying to put this in perspective. I know it's all relative, but we were only 6 weeks along and the baby never really formed so it's better than some of you out there where my heart just hurts for you, where you had heard the heartbeat/felt the baby move, etc. I can't even imagine what you are going though. I guess miscarriage at any stage is a loss and there is grief and sadness......

Well, my question is that I'm very nervous about having this miscarriage. How long will it take before it's over? A coule days? Will it still be going on weeks and weeks from now?? How painfull is it? Is there a lot of blood? When can we start trying again? Since we were having problems concieving this time, will this miscarriage affect our chances of conceiving in the future?

We just want to get this over with and move on to try again......

Very nervous any comments are much appreciated!

Thank you so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
(female)

Joy545 HB User
Re: What to expect??

When I had mine I wasnt that far along either , Mine just felt like a really bad period with a lot more blood and tissue,I also had bad back pain. The worst of it only lasted a couple days the bleeding lasted a little longer than a regular period for me. That was my experiance you could be different. So for your loss and please take care of yourself and if something feels really wrong then I would go to the ER.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:25 AM   #3
(female)

magpie1970 HB User

My earliest m/c was at 7 weeks and I remember it was just like a super heavy period with more cramping than normal. I think that since it's an early m/c the pain won't be as bad, but everyone is different. I think that the waiting is the hardest part because you don't want to be at the store or something when it hits.

I am so sorry for your loss

Old 11-17-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
(female)

petunia74 HB User

Hi ladies,

I am very sorry for all of your losses. It's true, a loss is a loss no matter how far along and it deserves grieving.

I just m/c'd yesterday, at 5.5 weeks. When I went to the bathroom in the morning I saw AF-starting-type blood on the tissue when I wiped and I knew it was over. I hadn't been having as many pregnancy symptoms for a few days and knew it would be a matter of hours or days before we lost it. Luckily, it only took a few hours. DH and I decided to go to a movie in the afternoon to distract ourselves and on the way there, I had him turn around and drive me home because my cramps were getting intense. 30 minutes later I passed the tissue sac (sorry--TMI), and immediately after, the cramps mellowed to day 1 or 2 AF cramps and I've just had moderate, bright red bleeding since then.

I don't see my doctor for another week, so I don't really know what I should be doing. I'm just in shock and grief.

Ans like the rest of you, we want to start TTC as soon as it is healthy. I have no idea when that might be, or why this happened.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:46 PM   #5
(female)

Questionss HB User

Thank you all so so much for your replies. I am sorry for your losses as well.....
I did end up m/c naturally. It was extremely weird and not typical. I was using the bathroom and felt something unusual pass. It was the sac. I had no more cramping or blood then I was originally having. I went for a transvaginal u/s and showed the sac was gone. Then within a couple days the bleeding and cramping was gone. I was in shock that it could happen that easy (physically anyway). I really have not read another story like mine and it's very strange.... I'm not complaining though I guess. I did have the D and C scheduled for the following Tuesday (I m/c that Thursday) because I was so scared and the "not knowing when" was horrible, but luckily I didn't need it.
I also had a similar experiance that petunia74 had, with that I lost my "pregnancy symptoms", like the sore breasts, a couple days before I started bleeding in the first place.
Well, I'm very thankful for all your responses and big hugs to all of you.....

Old 11-18-2008, 08:19 AM   #6
(female)

geogal HB User

I'm sorry for your loss. I talk to women all the time who have miscarriages like yours though. They are more likely the earlier along you are and much better for your body than a D&C. You don't have the risk of scar tissue from the surgery and the problems that can accompany the anesthesia. Also, studies show your cycle is more likely to get back on track more quickly than if you had surgery. Also, women seem to report conceiving more quickly on average after natural miscarriage than D&C. There really are reasons why not all women want D&Cs. It is a personal choice. I'm glad you shared your experience. Often women post when there are complications so we get the worst stories.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:42 PM   #7
(female)

WannaBMomV HB User

petunia - I had posted a reponse to your update on the the TTC thread, but my response to your message was removed. Just wanted to say I'm very sorry to hear about your loss, it's heartbreaking to hear. Ugh

Sorry also for the other ladies on this board. I'm amazed at all the stuff women go through and how strong they are. And I'm glad there are places like this board to get immediate support, I know I have found them really helpful.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:12 PM   #8
(female)

petunia74 HB User

Thanks Wannabe...

Old 11-18-2008, 08:05 PM   #9
(female)

Marie84 HB User

Hey! I had a hard time finding your post. I dont know why they delete it...it is actually very depressing and all your friends never know what is going on. That is why I tracked you down.
I just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear about your loss. I know how it feels..its just plain awful.
But if there were good news in all this it would be that yours was natural. No D and C means that your cycle will be back in a matter of weeks (as opposed to two months for me with a D and C).
The only thing that made me feel better after my miscarriage was know that it will get easier. And it will..just remember that...it gets easier with time, and before you know it you will be planning the next baby.

Melissa

Old 11-19-2008, 02:58 PM   #10
(female)

petunia74 HB User

Thank you Melissa, that's so sweet of you!

I know time will help it heal. Day by day it gets better. It's still strange waking up in the morning and knowing it happened. We're trying to enjoy ourselves together for now and we'll start TTC again in a couple of cycles. My doc asked me to wait out the next one or two to get back on track, healthy and ready, so we'll likely enjoy our holidays (and indulge in some vino and sushi!) and then get back to baby making in January...when it's so dark and cold and there's not much else to do .

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss as well. It's a terrible thing for anyone to experience.

Are you TTC now? If so, baby dust to you!

Closed Thread