It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Miscarriage & Still Birth Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
(female)

kathy1229 HB User
16 week miscarriage

If you have a miscarriage in your 16th week is a DNC peformed, do you deliver the baby or as someone told me they had to wait for the baby to pass. Also, is there a birth certificate or a death certificate. I was told by someone that they had to wait for the baby to pass and then had the baby cremated. Does anyone have any info on this situation. Thanks.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User
Re: 16 week miscarriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy1229 View Post
If you have a miscarriage in your 16th week is a DNC peformed, do you deliver the baby or as someone told me they had to wait for the baby to pass. Also, is there a birth certificate or a death certificate. I was told by someone that they had to wait for the baby to pass and then had the baby cremated. Does anyone have any info on this situation. Thanks.
Dear Kathy,
First of all, let me extend my sympathy if you are experiencing a loss.

It's usually the ob/GYN's descretion on how to resolve the miscarriage. These decisions may be based on the type of miscarriage (missed, incomplete, etc).

Birth certificates are issued by the state and rules differ between states. Many states will only issue birth certificates for the unborn who reach 20 weeks gestation.

If you are interested in burial/cremation, you may have to make your wishes known prior to the procedure. Some states have laws protecting the unborn and the mother must be asked what she would like done with the remains, but most states do not. Some hospitals will actually forbid burial/cremation if the unborn baby does not meet a certain age. Regardless, certainly fight for your right to do as you wish. You may need to contact a funeral director on your own to set up arrangements.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
(female)

msteryn HB User
Re: 16 week miscarriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy1229 View Post
I had 2 miscarriages at 16 weeks. The first time I delivered the baby and about and hour or two later, I still had not passed the placenta. The doctor did not want me to lose too much blood so he performed a D&C. The second time I delivered the baby and a different doctor was very insistent that I pass the placenta. 7 hours after delivering the baby and after taking suppositories every few hours to induce this, I still had not passed the placenta. The doctor put me in stirrups and tugged at the placenta while I pushed and a nursed applied pressured on my abdomen. He told me that he did not want to risk me getting scar tissue on my uterus from a D&C. It ust depends on your situation and the physician.

Closed Thread