I went to my first OB appt this past Tuesday feeling just fine and excited to see how baby is doing. According to the calculations I'm currently 11 weeks but based on my first day of my last period and when my husband left the state to go to an Army school, I could be as low as 7 1/2 to 8 weeks. At the OB appt the doc was friendly and after the physical exam he used the doppler to possibly hear baby's HB, but I knew it may not be heard so soon on a doppler. He offered to do an ultrasound which I wasn't expecting but wasn't going to turn down. He did the abdomenal kind first and was quiet while looking. I could see a little fetus kind of like a gummy bear, big head with short fists and feet, so cute. Well then he offered the transvag U/S and after awhile he told me that he couldn't see what he wanted to see and wanted a second opinion. He left the room to find another doc while I got dressed and became very anxious. Then he came back and suggested that I go to Radiology for another ultrasound in the next few days but that I shouldn't be concerned.
I got an U/S appt the next day and was so excited yet very nervous and scared. The tech did a lot more looking and taking pics and recordings than my doc did. She did both abdomenal and transvag. Hubby was with and he said he could see the little baby. She left the room stating she had to show the info to a doc and that he may want to come in and have a second look. Of course I became very nervous and scared again. As soon as he came in he walked straight up to me with a concerned face and informed me that I have had a "failed pregnancy". There was no cardiac activity. The tech did another transvag while he watched and confirmed it again. Of course I was devistated. I went back to my OB doc and he told me about my options. For now I'm waiting for a natural m/c but may go in for a D&C.
My concern is that I don't have a single symptom of miscarriage yet. Also I took a blood test to measure the pregnancy hormone the same day as my OB appt and it has risen and as the doc said it was very high. Any advice on the slight possibility things could be ok and that there may be a mistake, especially if I'm actually closer to 7 1/2 weeks to 8 weeks instead of 11? The second U/S measured me at 8 weeks. Should I try to get another opinion? Is it true they do another U/S before the D&C? This is my first pregnancy and I have no health issues. Is there any hope? Part of me has accepted this and will be TTC again if the m/c goes through as the doctors think it will. I'm still not having any m/c symptoms and my pregnancy symptoms feel the same and haven't lessen, although I know the pregnancy hormone can linger even after baby has died. Thanx for any help or advice.
I just went through this exact same thing. Had my 11 week transvag ultrasound and it showed the baby had stopped growing at around 7 weeks. The doctor told me to schedule another appointment for another ultrasound to "confirm" everything, this was on a Friday. So i scheduled for 8:30 on the following Monday. I too, like you, did not experience any signs or symptoms of miscarriage. Well i never made it to my appointment. I started severely hemorrhaging very early monday morning around 2 a.m. I ended up losing anywhere between 4-6 pints of blood and they had to do an emergency D&E. My advice to you is to schedule a D&C as soon as you can confirm that your pregnancy has failed. Going through everything i did was hell on me and it made the whole process longer. I am very sorry you are having to go through this and i wish you the best of luck with everything!
The Following User Says Thank You to amanda729 For This Useful Post: danni3 (12-24-2010)
Thank you for your input. I recently started to cramp lightly a few hours after I posted my message but also have been having gas. But a part of me is concerned because sometimes the cramps are more similar to the beginning of having a period. Still no spotting. Another concern is how long should I wait. It's a little more difficult right now due to my original doc out on Christmas vacation & the regular lab is closed for the holiday. My husband is in the military & my healthcare & hospital are through the military. Of course if I need ER care, the holiday isn't going to affect that, it's just my regular doc won't be available. I was told if spotting & cramping are light it's ok to wait it out if I want but to go to the ER if either cramping or bleeding gets severe. I worry about bleeding too much since I've heard some women have needed a blood transfusion if they bleed too much during the m/c. My mother is a nurse & told me I should go to the ER even if I'm just spotting so that concerns me but so far no spotting. The docs suspected the failed pregnancy on Tuesday but confirmed it on Wednesday. My regular OB doc told me the baby could have died as recently as Tuesday or as far as a week or 2 before. I get more scared at night because I fear I'll wake up bleeding badly or in horrible pain but a part of me wants to wait until I at least have some spotting or the cramping is more consistent. My other concern is if I end up going to the ER will they do another ultrasound to be sure one way or another or will they jump to wanting to do a D&C? Of course if my symptoms are bad & it's obvious I'm passing tissue along with bleeding I'm most likely having a m/c & will opt for the D&C right away. It's just part of me questions things until I have more symptoms. I'm kind of just floating going back & forth between decisions right now. And on top of this my husband is to report to another state late January which the Army gave us short notice of. This means we have about 3 weeks to pack, move from WA to WI & find a place there in 3 weeks or so. I feel like this is rushing my decision too. I just wish we didn't have to move so soon & I could relax & focus on my possible m/c that could happen any day or not. I really don't want to be worrying about this while traveling but I'm scheduled to get another blood test Monday & see my doc Tuesday if the m/c doesn't progress. They might do an ultrasound again that week & I think I've decided that if the docs still are sure it's a failed pregnancy I will be having a D&C. Part of me just worries because some women were told they had failed pregnancies but decided to wait a week for another ultrasound & that's when they did detect a HB & their babies were fine.