It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Miscarriage & Still Birth Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2011, 12:55 AM   #1
(female)

taylor30 HB User
Pregant but not pregnant...whats going on???

Hi, yesterday i went for my first ultrasound scan at 14 weeks,as the technician started to scan she frowned and said that i needed to go and drink more water...after 30 mins she tried again at which point she said she would have to do an internal scan as she couldnt get a clear view still (which i found very strage) anyway after a while she told me to wait while she got the doctor to take a look....

It turns out that i am pregnant but there is no baby,there are the obvious signs of pregnancy,a full fluid filled uterus,placenta and everything,just no baby apparently...i am devastated as this baby was planned for a long time but left totally confused...i have just done another pregnancy test an hour ago and its a very strong positive

I dont understand whats going on and i wonder if they missed the baby...i know that sounds crazy but im finding it hard to except that a baby can just vanish into thin air like that...i have to go for a d&c today but feel like they need to check again and make sure my baby isnt in there first

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? if so how do you deal with it?

Old 02-04-2011, 01:53 AM   #2
(female)

maysmom HB Usermaysmom HB User
Re: Pregant but not pregnant...whats going on???

Hi there,
You don't say whether this is your first pregnancy or not. Very similar thing happened to me, I think it was called blighted ovum or something like that. Went for the ultrasound and nothing, but still all the hormones YECHH. Anyway, D&C removed all that was left. Doc said it's the same basically as very early miscarriage, and he told me it was my body getting ready to be pregnant - kind of like a test run? So not to worry, everything is working, just something with the embryo wasn't right and that's the way the body rids itself of it, and it does just disappear - I think. D&C needed to clean everything else out so to start fresh I guess. Sure enough, less than a year later we were pregnant again with no problems, had a healthy baby girl. I learned not to get too excited about anything prior to the second trimester, though we ended up having only the one child. One was quite enough.

That's how I got through it, rationalizing that this was my body's way of handling a defective embryo, which wasn't anything more than a group of cells at the time. PLus I felt much better about a couple months later when the cycle started again and all back to normal. The only bad part was I had a little hemorraging from the D&C about a month after getting it, had to go to the ER there was so much blood. ER told me it's quite common for that side effect from the dc.

Hugs to you and better luck next time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
(female)

soundwaverider HB User
Re: Pregant but not pregnant...whats going on???

yes, it is refered to as a blighted ovum. It's really not that unusual. Hang in there.

Closed Thread