It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Miscarriage & Still Birth Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
Exclamation It's her birthday....

My sister (age 34), was almost 10 weeks pregnant when she found out her baby had no heart beat. She was prepared for this, because at her previous appointment the week before, the baby's heart rate had dropped to 76. We'd hoped for a miracle, but it didn't happen.

The doctor told her that the baby had stopped growing at 6.5 weeks. Doctor said my sister's options were to naturally miscarry the baby, take misoprostol, or have a D&C. Oh, but she can't have the D&C for at least a couple of weeks, because the doctor is only allowed to do 2 surgeries a month, and she's already reached her quota. Oh, but she's already booked up for next month, too, so it might be several weeks before she can get a D&C (insurance!). And the doctor insisted that my sister was only 8 weeks pregnant, but my sister is convinced that she had to have been at least 9.5 weeks along, because she knows the exact date her period was last, and her husband has been working a lot of 24 hour shifts, so their intimate life was very easy to track.

So the doctor told my sister to take misoprostol vaginally to make the miscarriage happen faster. She said my sister would start cramping within a few hours of taking the medicine and that it would all be over within the next 24 hours.

My sister went home and immediately took the first dose. That was Tuesday night. She followed all the instructions to the letter, and by Wednesday morning..... absolutely nothing had happened. No cramping, no bleeding, nothing. She still had horrible nausea and felt awful.

So she waited until time for the next dose, took it, and by the next morning, nothing had changed. So now she's getting frustrated, because she just wants it to be over, and it's not, and there is NO indication that it plans on ending at all, and she calls her doctor, and the doctor says she'll just double the dose and that misoprostol is 100% guaranteed, and has never failed, so my sister must be doing something wrong (I am bitterly angry with her doctor at this point).

Now, it's Saturday night, and it's my sister's birthday. And in spite of the doubled doses of misoprostol, my sister still hasn't had any cramping or bleeding or anything to indicate a miscarriage. She is really getting down and I am so worried about her.

I've done a lot of looking online, and I have found numerous sites that say that misoprostol can be used for a medical abortion if the woman is UP TO 9 weeks pregnant (many sites say she should be up to 7 weeks, some say 8, but I've never found anything that says it's for over 9 weeks). Those sites then define what UP TO 9 weeks means, by very specifically stating that it means from the date of your last monthly period.... NOT BY THE GESTATIONAL AGE OF THE BABY. Then I have to wonder if the doctor knew that and if that's why the doctor tried to convince my sister she was only 8 weeks along.

I've also found many sites that say that misoprostol alone, is NOT an FDA approved regimen for treating a missed miscarriage. Other sites state that misoprostol is the least effective method, that carries the most extreme side effects.

So is this doctor just some nut-job that goes around screwing with people's lives for fun??? Why in the world would she give any woman that medication?

What the heck is going on???

Is the misoprostol not working because my sister is too far along for it to work? Why in the world is there nothing happening? This is so hard on her, and it's her birthday, and I just can't imagine how painful it must be for her.

Can anyone help? Please? I just want to be able to pass along some good news, some hope, some peaceful words, something, to give her some hope for a light at the end of this awful dark tunnel she's stuck in. Anyone? Please?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
Re: It's her birthday....

ALSO, tonight, she started running a fever, and she's been cramping for about 2 1/2 hours, but still no bleeding or anything else.

REALLY? 72 views, and nobody can tell me anything????

Old 09-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
(female)

lisahopkins1023 HB User

First of all, you don't need to get mad that this post has alot of views without responses, not everyone is knowledgeable on a subject that they view a post about.

Secondly, if she has a fever, call a doctor, it could be indicative of an infection, sometimes a side effect of a miscarriage, when all of the tissue will not come out (which is what it sounds like).

Good luck to her.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh, I wasn't mad, just worried about my sister and desperate for answers. I appreciate your comments though.

Closed Thread