It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mononucleosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2002, 04:33 PM   #1

my little pug HB User
Post Mononucleosis

Anybody out there who has mono? Donna

Old 07-15-2002, 01:03 PM   #2

lelalo HB User
I had mono back in the 80's (when I was in high school). It was awful. I couldn't even take a shower without having to take a nap after. Do you have it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2002, 01:42 PM   #3

my little pug HB User
Talking

Hi Ielalo, Thanks for your reply. I was beginning to wonder if anyone was really reading these. Yes, I'm 54 and just diagnosed with it. Can't believe it. We live on a farm and hardly ever even eat out. Our daughter had is back in the 80's too, but I can't remember her having the same symptoms. The big problem with me is that I feel like I'm buring up and I'm so shaky that I can hardly write my name. Do you remember any or your symptoms being like that? Donna

Old 07-15-2002, 08:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User
Oh, Donna,....It's sounds like an awful time for you. I remember feeling like what your describing a couple of diff. times in my life. You get to feeling helpless and dependant on others. Then that starts to stress you out too!!!!!!! I've definatly been there, and I'm glad to try and be here for you. I'll help with simple things to improve your immune system. OK? You won't have the energy for anything too complicated.

Is there anything that your doing to help with the symtoms? What kind of Doctors perscriptions are You on, like high blood pressure meds., or thyroid meds., diuretics,pain meds, etc....Make a list of all med. and vit/min. you are taking.

How about to your immune system? Doing anything yet in this department? I'm thinking along the lines of repairing your adreanal(spell?not sure) glands, flushing out the liver, and increasing the absorbtion of replacing your minerals.

You might want to just list those things you are taking first.List what health concerns you had before you got sick with this. Then down the road you'll be able improve those too.
Do you have a printer? You could just print it out for future use.

At least try and jot that list down here. Then you could copy the list of things, for someone to get for you. Do you have someone to go and get you a couple things? I sure hope so.
All we need in our lives is one special person that would do this for us, Yes?

For now increase your water intake, always during stress is when dehydration can set in. Your body is fighting a massive overload of stress. Do not drink gallons to start with if you don't normally drink alot of water. Work up to it slowly. (Read why farther down.)

Maybe some Magnesium citrate and Maca would be in order...Maca only works where your body needs it the most, its a great support to the female problems which could help on feeling so darn hot. (I know too!!!!!)

When you can...Go to the Thyroid board and find the post called...."Information Archives" Go to page 2 and scroll to the post about Magnesium then go to page3 for the info. on Maca. Check these supplements out for more important details.

Start to try and at least move your extremities even stretching and lifting a knee or two.

I think there's something to being immoble constantly, it can take forever without some body stimulation. A message would be great, or a refexologist.

Another thing would be to see if you could get a 'tens unit', those muscle jumper contraptions. Have you ever used one? I'm thinking it might feel really good, it moves the muscle without you moving, so if you've got some real achy(is that how that's spelled?lol.) muscles it might help alot... But,Never put them on a bone, just the muscle!!!

You want to be able to do something where you get your rest...and releive dehydration....and increase circulation.

ALSO..make sure You are getting rid of as much liquids as you are drinking before increasing your water....First thing they teach you in nursing is measuring intake and output of urine....So keep that in mind.

Go have a good rest and digest this for a while....I'm sure I've exausted you by now.LOL. Diana

[This message has been edited by drs (edited 07-16-2002).]

Old 07-15-2002, 09:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Donna, take your temp. 3 times a day, make sure that you don't drink or eat or brush your teeth at least 5min. before checking your temp. Keep log to show the dotor of when you took it and what it was.

Does you doctor have you on antibiotics? Maybe it's not doing the trick, sometimes they need to switch the type for you.
If the anti-biotic isn't working in a week or less for your fever, I'd call you doctor.
Just thought I'd add this info. Take care Diana

[This message has been edited by drs (edited 07-16-2002).]

Old 07-16-2002, 05:31 AM   #6

my little pug HB User
Wink

Thanks Diana for the info. You're right this is terrible. When my husband took me to the emergency room my blood sugar had been 43 that morn. (Could barely stand up!) I'm thinking that was because of the decreased appetite. I'm not diabetic and can never remember my blood sugar being much over 100. I'm kind of getting that regulated now (have to eat right before going to bed though now).Dr. said since your spleen can become enlarged with this that your pancreas is right there with it and it could do some funny things to it too. Well, I've read that they call mono glandular disease so I suppose it could affect that gland too. I really expected a diagnosis of hyperthyroidism when I went to the emergency room because I had been having all those symptoms for about 3 months. Do you suppose mono could take that long to come to a head with the more severe symptoms or maybe I have something else going on too. I'd had some really bad stress in my life this past year that could certainly have affected my immune system. And then I'm such a worry wort. I've been so healthy my whole life that I'm not handling being sick as well as I should be. Sure helps to talk to someone who's been there and what good ideas you have. I don't take any meds. for anything, just vitamins and I had already started going to a reflexologist when I started to feel bad because I don't like to take some of the meds. the medical doctors hand out. (I had a hiatal hernia last year. Doctor left me on Protonix for 20 weeks and had just handed me another prescription for 6 more months of it, when I found out that I should have only been on it for 8 weeks!!!! I'm thinking that this didn't help my immune system either since it keeps you from producing stomach acid. How are you going to digest anything? Found a book at the reflexologist's place about hiatal hernias and found out I could manipulate the thing down out of there myself without surgery!!!!! And DOES it work!!!! Haven't had a bit of trouble with it for several months!) Thanks again, Donna

Old 07-16-2002, 06:55 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

So your a girl, just like me!!! I hate perscription too. I like to go as natural as possible too.

If you don't have a problem with high blood pressure. The the 'watercure' diet may be great for you....This may sound kinda strange but it definately works for many illnesses. My daughter had shingles on her back and around her side under her arm pit to the breast. She did this diet along with taking 'lisine' on an empty stomach, then when she was almost done with them I took her to my doctor, the doctor said, "How long has she had this?' The doctor said that that was a very fast recovery, and to keep doing what I was doing. I took her to the doc. just to make sure the eyes weren't affected. She hasn't had the lingering pain these can cause either.

Do you want to know what this all entails?

Write back and tell me if your BP is normal, and what kind of Vit. you are taking. OK? Take care, Diana

Old 07-16-2002, 07:04 PM   #8

my little pug HB User
Smile

Diana, Thanks so much for taking time to help me. Went to my doctor's nurse practitioner today (she's smarter than he is. he he Really!!) She says 4 weeks bed rest and man is that going to be hard for me at this age. What really concerns me is that I think I've had this stuff for 3 1/2 months now and just got the full blown symptoms. Have really been run down and stressed out for over a year now and I suppose that has something to do with getting sick. Maybe I should say "greifed out" instead of stressed out. Lost two old English bulldogs two months apart and it almost killed me which I think actually made me physically sick.

What is this water diet? I don't have high blood pressure, but when these mono symptoms became full blown I started having trouble with my blood sugar. Have no appetite and this has some how messed with my pancreas (the reflexologist had told me two times that there was something wrong with my pancreas and she thought part of my trouble might be low blood sugar.) Well, a couple of mornings ago when I got til I couldn't stand up I checked it and it was 43 for crying out loud!!! Took me all day to get it up in the 90's. Then that next night it went back down to 49. Kind of have it regulated a little bit now. Not as shaky. I wonder if mono has affected anyone else this way or if they had reason to check their blood sugar or just thought that the shakiness was part of mono.

Never heard of children getting shingles. Husband's old Uncle in AZ just had it.

Thanks again. Donna

Old 07-16-2002, 07:06 PM   #9

my little pug HB User
Smile

P. S. My little pug dog loves me being sick so she can huddle up in bed with me.

Old 09-30-2003, 03:46 PM   #10
Royal Sephardess

Lightbulb

I am wanting an answer to a question regarding adult onset heart abnormalities and/or trouble breathing in relation to mononucleosis infection during childhood. I had this virus as a young girl, and never really payed attention to the fact that I often have trouble breathing and getting a full breath, and remember having the same problem when I had symptoms of mono as a child. I went to a cardiologist for abnormal heart rhythms found on my cardiogram. I am 30 yrs old. Can anyone answer my question???? Thank you very much!

Closed Thread