It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mononucleosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2005, 08:30 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Can mononucleosis cause canker sores in mouth or throat?

My Step Daughters boyfriend has had a problem with canker sores in his mouth for years now. He gets sore throats many times a year. She said it seems like he always has a sore throat. He went to a doctor and they told him he has two canker sores on his tonsils and that is what is causing his throat to be sore. I can imagine. I have had them in my mouth a few times and they hurt a lot. Then they also said he has mono. Could these two be related?

Old 09-14-2005, 01:56 AM   #2
(male)

smc612 HB User
Re: Can mononucleosis cause canker sores in mouth or throat?

most definitely.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2005, 06:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User

a sore throat does go with mono, but how long has he had it? It should be clearing up.

I dont know about the canker sores though. I dont think that is related.

Old 09-14-2005, 06:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

She said he has had a sore throat almost constantly since she has known him which is 3 years. I am not sure how accurate that is because you know how kids can be. She says he always has a sore throat could mean he has them often but I am not sure how often. He never has gone to the doctor before for his throat problem. He has had problems with cold sores in his mouth constantly also since she has known him. He always has them. That seems odd to me. And now finding out he has mono and also has the canker sores on his tonsils makes me wonder if he has had mono for a really long time. I have heard of people who have had problems with it for a year. I heard my step daughter talking on the phone with him last night and she was telling him he needs to rest to get rid of the mono. She said he is going to have a sore throat for the rest of his life if he doesn't get rid of this. So it made it seem like it really has been a cronic problem for a long time.

Old 09-14-2005, 07:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

canker sores..hmmmm....my first thought.....sinus drainage. drainage can cause your throat to feel raw and burn and even be red. also, it can cause canker sores to develop on your tonsils or in the back of the throat, for those that dont have tonsils. i didnt know this until my daughter had what i thought was strep throat, even though the "blisters" resembled canker sores. i took her to the dr and tested her for strep, which was negative, but they knew that before it came back neg. she had told me while waiting on the test that it was most likely canker sores, that there was so much drainage, that it was irritating her throat, causing the canker sores. she has had the canker sores several times since....and that alone can cause your throat to feel sore....and with drainage..makes it feel even more sore. i would see about getting some post nasal drip spray....as well as an antihistamine..such as benadryl, etc. i suffer with allergies as well....and get the drainage bad.....in fact, am suffering with it now.....and my throat is so raw feeling...but i have had it so many times,that i know that its allergies and drainage and not just a sore throat due to a virus or bacterial infection. hope this helps.

Old 09-16-2005, 10:07 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

WhiteLight HB User

I haven't heard that canker sores are associated with MONO. However sore throats are a part of MONO and some people's MONO begins with Tonsilitis. Mine began with Tonsilitis but I really dont remember any canker sores neither have I heard of anyone who had canker sores.

It's possible the canker sores are some kind of infection. Possibly fungal or bacterial. If the lad had a preivous girlfriend before your daughter and they were sexually active, its unlikely but there is a very slim possibility it may e a STI. These can cause canker sores. I know someone who had this and it cleared up with treatment within 2 weeks. Its just an idea anyway.

Closed Thread