It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mononucleosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2006, 10:56 AM   #1
(female)

maddiez003 HB User
Exclamation mononucleosis help!

alright so last year in the beginning of december i was diagnosed with mononucleosis. and today i'm going to the doctor around 2, because i think that i have it again, and i wanted to know if it is possible to get mono twice. i've been reading up on it, and i really wanna know if it is possible. so write back to me as soon as possible!

Old 12-25-2006, 09:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User
Re: mononucleosis help!

After you get mono, you carry the virus indefinately. It can be reactivated and reoccur. I have been diagnosed with a recurrance, and know a few people who have had this happen more than once.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2006, 03:47 PM   #3
(male)

Ivoryz00 HB User

If you've had mono before, and been tested positive for it, would it show itself again as negative or positive? I'm asking this because I had a pretty severe case of mono about 2 years ago and I'm still experiencing some health issues. My doc has tested me for mono again in recent months and it was negative. However, he told me it could still be the virus "lingering in my system." Is this even possible? Thanks.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:18 PM   #4
(female)

Calla_Lily HB User

hi,
i had mono twice.after the second diagnosis my health was never the same. i was told it is rare to test positive for mono twice. a healthy immune system will keep the dormant virus at bay. if it reactivates, it's usually a sign your immune system is not up to par. (according to my doctors) i'd suggest you get a good infectious disease doctor and a good immunologist. good luck to you.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:41 PM   #5
(female)

Sandpuff HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calla_Lily View Post
hi,
i had mono twice.after the second diagnosis my health was never the same. i was told it is rare to test positive for mono twice. a healthy immune system will keep the dormant virus at bay. if it reactivates, it's usually a sign your immune system is not up to par. (according to my doctors) i'd suggest you get a good infectious disease doctor and a good immunologist. good luck to you.
Hi Calla-Lily - I, too, was diagnosed with mono twice - once when I was 11 and once when I was 19. I'd never heard that about it meaning your immune system isn't up to par. I am not diagnosed with anything yet but I've had numerous problems through the years. My doctor's office called and I'm to go in Monday for results from blood tests. They wouldn't tell me anything over the phone and said it was best for me to come in and see the doctor. I'm kind of nervous about it because any other time I've had blood tests I've either gotten a letter or phone call saying everything was negative.

So, have you been diagnosed with anything specific? I was just wondering since I've never actually talked with anyone that has had mono twice.

Take care!
Michelle

Old 03-10-2007, 06:48 PM   #6
(female)

Calla_Lily HB User

hi michelle,
i'm currently undergoing testing to determine the nature of my health problems. i had been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in nov. 2004, but that diagnosis is now being questioned. i've been very ill for YEARS with odd symptoms, the bulk of which are neurological, but there are other symptoms that do not fit the "normal" MS profile. they have determined that it is some kind of autoimmune disease. whether it ends up being the original MS diagnosis or something else, remains to be seen.
what kind of blood tests did they do? what symptoms prompted the tests? try not to get too upset about the results. it is hard to wait over an entire weekend to get them...been there, done that! good luck to you.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:40 PM   #7
(female)

Sandpuff HB User

Hi - I think the bloodwork was Lupus & Lyme related and I'm not sure what else. It's been hard waiting but tomorrow is my appointment thank goodness, although I know it could mean just another test will be done & I'll have to wait again.

My initial symptom that caused alarm was spinal myoclonus (jerking that made me fall down a few times.) That's what sent me to the neurologist (9 years ago) and he mentioned MS but all tests were normal. The other symptoms I've had are fatigue, twitching of my legs & arms, one leg feels kind of heavy sometimes, swollen glands.

Lately I've had low fevers (99.9 was the highest it's gotten) and mild chest pain. I could think of a few other little things. I had been doing really well for several years until last fall. Then I got wiped out with fatigue again and it would be about all I could do to get kids to school and get myself showered.

I would be interested in hearing any findings you have and will let you know if I find anything out tomorrow.

Take care!
Michelle

Old 03-14-2007, 09:14 AM   #8
(female)

Calla_Lily HB User

hi michelle,
i'm still in the (long, ongoing) process of trying to get a definitive diagnosis. meanwhile i just continue to get sicker. yesterday i was at OSU hospital seeing an immunologist. the results of previous my blood tests showed my blood counts (RBC's, WBC's) are still low so he admitted me and did a bone marrow biopsy. i am awaiting the results. he is also checking me for some different viruses (hhv-6 and cytomegalovirus), along with some detailed chromosomal testing. some of the testing can take up to 2 weeks for results because only a couple of labs in the USA do them. so for now i need to be patient...again.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:20 PM   #9
(female)

Rhonda55 HB User

Thanks for your message. I posted a question about this, but didn't phrase it correctly, I suppose. The lingering is what is so difficult for me.

Closed Thread