It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mononucleosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2007, 11:32 PM   #1

lbdixiechick HB User
Question MONOnucleosis

I was just diagnosed this last week with mono, even though ive been sick off and on for the past month and a half. Its only been a week since the real symptoms have been present and it has been awful! I have no idea how I got it, but my question concerns the chances of giving it to someone else. I recently kissed someone "romantically" as the books say it, about a half a month ago and again about two weeks ago (before my symptoms started of course). I know there is a chance of him contracting it.. believe me I know they don't call it the kissing disease for nothing.. but does anyone know just how great those chances are? When is it safe for me to kiss again?

My other question is when should I expect to be able to function well again? I have a senior college trip planned to Europe for the middle of March- will it be safe for me to go by then? Does anyone have any suggestions about how to speed up my recovery?

Thank you so much for your help!

Old 01-15-2007, 05:36 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

engineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB User
Re: MONOnucleosis

I had mono years ago as a newlywed and my husband (who I kissed dailey many times and more) never caught it , don't stress over it he/she either has it from u at this point or doesn't just get lots of sleep and talk lots and lots of hot lemon drinks for your throat (plus pain meds when needed ) and you'll feel better soon , it usually last for around 3 months begining to end .............if it get's worst or seems unbarable they will put you in the hospital .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2007, 07:55 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

I wouldn't be kissing anyone else anytime soon. Wait until the tests come back all clear from your dr. It wouldn't be fair to anyone else to do otherwise.

You can get it from a poorly washed glass or fork at a restaurant even. Try to keep a plate, bowl, fork, spoon, glass all to yourself and wash it seperately from anyone elses.

Hopefully if you get lots of sleep and don't push yourself you should get over it soon.

However, it can last a long time if you don't. My husband had it for over a year. It can take a while even after the infection is gone to regain your usual sense of well-being.

Good luck and have fun on your trip!

Old 01-16-2007, 11:00 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

engineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB User

Inreality it never leaves your system , once you get it but MOST peoplefeel better by 3 months ....and listen to Pink about the kissing and the forks etc......

Old 01-16-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

In a nutshell, don't let you saliva come into contact with anyone so no sharing eating or drinking utensils or kissing. Coughing and sneezing that causes you to lose a tiny amount of saliva can also give MONO to someone.

Once your infected with EBV it remains in your system permanetly. MONO usually goes away after 3 months and it takes 7-8 weeks after being infected with EBV and MONO for symptoms to appear. Tiredness can remain for several months AFTER you've got the all clear.

Get tested in 3 months time and if your all clear, you can kiss people. However, the majority of the population all had EBV during infancy and childhood so the likelihood of a adult contracting EBV which later develops into MONO is 50/50. Hope your better soon and drink plenty of fluids and rest when your tired.

Old 01-16-2007, 08:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

hyper79 HB User

Hi, most of the people in America have come in contact with mono and passed it off as the flu or a cold.Most catch it at an early age, kids playing together who just kissed mom passing it on as said earlier.There is no cure for mono or EBV except keeping your immune system up to par, most dr's recommend a good daily vitamin "not the cheapo kind" GNC has a good line, the recommended daily water intake 1/2 your body weight in ounces,plenty of fruits and veggies and rest.As another said just because you have it does not mean your partner will get it.Best of luck!!

Last edited by hyper79; 01-16-2007 at 08:18 PM.

Closed Thread